New VGM Composer Profiles Implemented!

djpretzel

As previewed at MAGFest, I just implemented our new VGM composer profiles. I think/hope you'll agree that they're vastly more informative (and extensible) than the previous "big list of remixes" we offered for each composer detail page (which is still available on a separate tab).

I'll use Sakuraba as an example:

Two of the features I really find useful that I developed were the distinct list of systems and publishers on a per composer basis - this lets you easily see which composers worked for which companies on which systems, without having to review the entire list. Of course, as our game database grows with each new ReMix, this information will become more complete, but even so, it's already pretty useful as is.

In addition, Larry and I have done a lot of work linking composers to more authoritative sources of information like moby, imdb, wiki, musicbrainz, etc., so hopefully you'll find that information valuable in finding out more about a given VGM composer.

This is our first substantial site improvement in 2008, but it'll be the first of many, guaranteed. Please post any issues/questions/feedback here.

Thanks,

David Lloyd

This is great, I really appreciate how easy it has become to get info from OCR.

Hopefully this will also make the site more accessible and interesting to first time users when exploring arrangements, instead of just pushing 'f' for 'Final Fantasy' :) This might open peoples eyes to new composers when they see what companies/games they've been involved in.

This is fantastic! Way to go to all involved! I've been surfing around on it tonight and it's really thorough and it's solid for research on composers! I love how you've found the composers' official websites too... awesome for information!

Great work!

Thanks; this was a lot of work. I just overhauled the layout and added a screenshot for the most recent mix.

Definitely an improvement. The screenshot for 'latest mix' makes it easier to put together composer and game. Also using the icons for website/mobygames and whatnot makes sense since it looks more like remixers.

BTW, what determines if a remixer profile has a pic or not? I think the more remixer profiles look like composer profiles, the better.

BTW, what determines if a remixer profile has a pic or not? I think the more remixer profiles look like composer profiles, the better.

ReMixers have to provide us a picture to use, though when I have free time without my usual 100 other things to do, I'd be glad to dig up everyone picture and simply handle that myself. If you want to provide a picture to use (and egg everyone else on to do so) that would be great.

ReMixers have to provide us a picture to use, though when I have free time without my usual 100 other things to do, I'd be glad to dig up everyone picture and simply handle that myself. If you want to provide a picture to use (and egg everyone else on to do so) that would be great.

I'm on it.

Also, while you're reading, can you send me a spreadsheet where I can help provide composer info that you're missing? I talked to Dave about this and I had a few things (mostly website adresses) that you did not have for a few composers. It'll probably be easier for you to implement if you have a spreadsheet.