OCR01721 - *YES* Terranigma 'Afternoon Tea with SnappleMan's Mom'

Liontamer

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, I have no idea what the hell that title means. Probably that I gotta read the forums more?

This was a very solid arrangement of Town (what a boring name, guess you were making up for it). There's nothing too unexpected in it, but you struck a good balance between sticking to the source and doing your own thing. I liked how the melody was used in the foreground and also more in the background at various points. Piano part was original yet reminiscent of the opening of the source, because of the rhythms. Tasteful, complimentary choices of instruments thoughtout, and a smooth flow. There was some seemingly unintended dissonance in the section starting at 0:39, but barely an issue. I also thought the ending was a little abrupt and could have built up more, but also no big deal.

Some parts were a little hard to hear, and the song might have benefited from some rebalancing and light compression. Again, this was not much of a detriment. Nice job on this one, Andrew!

YES

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ts - "Town" (ts-32.spc)

Lead at :38-:57 was too quiet, something that's carried over from the DoD listening party at MAGFest. I would have positioned it a bit louder. The separation of parts could have been a bit better, and the sample realism on stuff like the piano stuck out a bit sometimes, but I was loving the textures. Genteel and intricate. Perfect for some green tea with SnappleMan's mom. Great instrumentation and tone variation in the second iteration of the arrangement to build things up with a bit more energy and keep things fresh.

I've gotta say, I was impressed. Hopefully you mixed/produced this on your own. While the sound balance and clarity could have been improved, this was a substantial step up from your past material.

But other than that, Andrew, no comments; they'll just sound dumb when this gets rejected :P

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Terranigma is one of the greatest RPG's of all time. Honestly, the story and music beats the hell out of most of the mainstream games out there on SNES. For those of you who have never wandered outside the realm of Zelda, FF, Chrono series, etc, PLAY THIS GAME, CHUMPS!

This is great stuff, Andrew! Though the ending is a little abrupt, and the track doesn't wander too far from the original, this is really a pleasure to listen to. The strings are beautiful, and the track has a very celebratory, yet mellow (i.e. Canon in D, Pomp and Circumstance) feel to it--I can definitely see this being played at a graduation or some other such event, and it would fit absolutely perfectly.

It's really great as a judge to see people develop their skills as not only musicians, but producers. People like OA and Avaris are great examples, both of whom I got to meet at M6, and regrettably didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with.

Definitely my pleasure to throw a YES on this one. Here's to the Terranigma love. And here's to Snappleman's mom.

• 1 month later...

Nice stuff overall. Pleasant texture and arrangement - it's on the conservative side, but there seems to be enough variation and original writing to make up for the generally direct usage of the harmony and structure from the original. To be honest, even after listening to the source repeatedly and the remix, it's all starting to run together, but it sounded to me like there was new material in the mix.

The production does sound quite good overall. My only complaint is that some of the string swells cause the compressor/limiter to kick in a bit too hard, but this doesn't happen very often so it's really a minor issue.

Nice job.

YES