I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

what the hell? since when does hardware = love?

@gt - i'm up for hand delivering stuff for whoever, as long as it's reasonable. however, up to this point i have mailed almost everything i've built. so, yeah, i'll ship to cali...but don't expect me to drive three days just to hold your hand while you plug in some USBs =)

Tee hee oh you.

what the hell? since when does hardware = love?

@gt - i'm up for hand delivering stuff for whoever, as long as it's reasonable. however, up to this point i have mailed almost everything i've built. so, yeah, i'll ship to cali...but don't expect me to drive three days just to hold your hand while you plug in some USBs =)

Well ya'know, because I asked for it. 'Cause I NEED one, ya'see?

post pics while you are at it, i want to see this guys work (IE bitch about lack of cable management if i find any)

oh, i lack cable management. i didn't have any cable ties, so the inside probably looks like a rat's nest. not like it's going to kill it or anything, it's not a super high-end computer like the one i'll be building soon. it looked pretty good though, and performed way above standard specs.

make sure to tell them about your wife's crappy-ass keyboard, and your awesome monitor that you had sitting around since the stone age, jamil.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6095785

I'm probably going to buy this sometime next week. Anyone have any input?

Ditch the CM Mystique and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106

That nifty front bezel is not worth $80 IMO.

Secondly, you don't need anywhere near that much power in a power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

That should do you nicely.If you are planning to do SLI say so, as that is lacking the power plugs to do so.

Ditch the Zalman. The heatsinks are good, but they are immensely overpriced and the fans themselves are shit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

That is quieter and cools equally or better.

centurion is a great case - i've put computers into three of them, and they're totally worth the money.

if he's running an 8800gts, 4 gigs of ram, the biggest c2d available, and your standard optical and hard disk drive, you're going to need AT LEAST 509w to cover all that - on a 100% efficiency power supply, which doesn't work. count on an average of 80% efficiency, you're talking at least 600w, with no room for upgrade. a 750 is an excellent choice. add your watts! also, yours only has one 12v rail in it - for a decent processor, a nice video card, and all that peripherals. phaw! get a bigger one - the 750 will handle everything you ever throw at it, even factoring in the efficiency rating.

the cpu fan you picked is enormous - great for a high-end motherboard, but that gigabyte that he's got will have trouble shouldering the load, particularly in a smaller case like the centurion is. i'd go for a standard circular fan with an impeller-style heatsink, rather than the enormous radiator you picked, CH.

if he's running an 8800gts, 4 gigs of ram, the biggest c2d available, and your standard optical and hard disk drive, you're going to need AT LEAST 509w to cover all that - on a 100% efficiency power supply, which doesn't work. count on an average of 80% efficiency, you're talking at least 600w, with no room for upgrade. a 750 is an excellent choice. add your watts! also, yours only has one 12v rail in it - for a decent processor, a nice video card, and all that peripherals. phaw! get a bigger one - the 750 will handle everything you ever throw at it, even factoring in the efficiency rating.

Power supplies rely more on amps than watts these days. the c2d ony sucks 65 watts MAX, ram uses so little power its negligible, same for the CD drive, and the max power on a G92 8800GTS is 78.3 watts at full load (and only 20-ish amps). 450w and 33 amps is more than enough to power that system reliably. Watts are a great selling tool, but are extremely inflated by the manufacturers and mean dick all in real life.

the cpu fan you picked is enormous - great for a high-end motherboard, but that gigabyte that he's got will have trouble shouldering the load, particularly in a smaller case like the centurion is. i'd go for a standard circular fan with an impeller-style heatsink, rather than the enormous radiator you picked, CH.

I hate to tell you, but that Gigabyte is a fairly high end motherboard. It is easily capable of holding 600g, and that is actually fairly light compared to the high end Zalmans and Thermalrights. He shouldn't have a problem. Motherboards are designed to take these things nowadays.

maybe so, but that psu that you picked out is underpowered, particularly in the long run as efficiency starts to drop from wear. a larger psu (as long as it's not enormous or something) is better - that tiny power supply couldn't even handle my system (e4500, evga 7600, 2x1gig ddr2 4200) very well without issues at max load. and there's no room for upgrades in the future.

that particular gigabyte ain't a high end mobo, though - that's why it's <100$. i've had issues in the past with heavy fans, and it's better to run with less than more, particularly in a case that can handle it. unless soma's planning on overclocking that processor to like 3.5ghz or something.

maybe so, but that psu that you picked out is underpowered, particularly in the long run as efficiency starts to drop from wear. a larger psu (as long as it's not enormous or something) is better - that tiny power supply couldn't even handle my system (e4500, evga 7600, 2x1gig ddr2 4200) very well without issues at max load. and there's no room for upgrades in the future.

I can guarantee you that it will run your system perfectly, and with immense overhead. I have the exact power supply in question, and it runs a Athlon X2 4000+ (65 watt), HD3850, 2 gigs of DDR2 800, and two 160gb hard drives perfectly fine. Even with the processor fully loaded on both cores, and the graphics card fully loaded, i am only using 20 amps, and 160-200 watts.

that particular gigabyte ain't a high end mobo, though - that's why it's <100$. i've had issues in the past with heavy fans, and it's better to run with less than more, particularly in a case that can handle it. unless soma's planning on overclocking that processor to like 3.5ghz or something.

That case can handle it. Once again, I have that case and heatsink and it fits perfectly. Not much space to spare, but it fits. I can guarantee you that if he installs that correctly, he will not have issues.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not planning on doing SLI, that mobo isn't SLI capable anyhow. It's my way of not being tempted to buy another graphics card in the future. I don't need a $600 graphics card. I like that case though, i figured I could get a cheaper one, but I like the way it looks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out though I suppose this isn't the correct thread for it.

Wow... Got my computer built today, and I must say... It runs like sex. Many thanks to Brad for driving 2:30 hours or so (Which we met halfway, I live another 2:30 past that) to build the comp. Everything works, which is a plus... I feel we should send a thank-you note to that Subway for being a good sport about us raiding their power.

i liked the part where i was lying on their floor, attempting to get your shitty-ass case to turn on, and she comes over and is like, WE DONT HAVE ANY COFFEE! out of nowhere. particularly considering that the entire town didn't take debit or credit.

noah, i must say...your case was the dirtiest i've seen in a long time. clean that thing out once and a while!

this was five years worth of crappy exhaust fans. it was atrocious - think dust bunnies the size of thumbs everywhere. when we pulled off the other side of the case...wow.

Heh... And of course, "That's how he says 'I love you'."

For anyone who plans to buy a comp from this man... Clean out your case of the giant dust bunnies, because if you don't, he will be like "I'm not touching that! YOU clean it up!"

And it was cleaned out like... 3 times in those 5 years...

seriously, i refused to touch them. the funniest part was that his case smelled like cologne...but it wasn't his cologne.

God i hate this. I got this old Pentium 3 box from an old lady who upgraded a while back so I could scavenge the Voodoo 2 from it. When I opened it up I was assaulted with old lady perfume. My room smelled of old lady perfume for a good week, I couldn't stop sneezing.