I want to build you a computer

prophetik music

That's my computer! =D

For anyone seeing this thread thinking about having a computer built, Brad was awesome!

I just got a job out of school and actually have disposable income now so I wanted a custom-built computer. I know virtually nothing about hardware, and Brad answered all of my countless questions, and also offered a lot of other great advice and feedback. 10/10 would buy again.

• 4 months later...

Hey Brad, I hate to bother you about this, but my ASUS optical disk drive (DRW-24B1ST) is no longer recognized by my system, even though it has power and all connections seem to be fine. I can't find any drivers, so I'm not sure how to approach this issue.

8 hours ago, Anorax said:

Hey Brad, I hate to bother you about this, but my ASUS optical disk drive (DRW-24B1ST) is no longer recognized by my system, even though it has power and all connections seem to be fine. I can't find any drivers, so I'm not sure how to approach this issue.

i'll send you a PM with a few suggestions.

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2017 at 2:30 PM, prophetik music said:

just bumping this up. i am still doing computers, and recently did builds for two different active remixers =) let me know if you're interested.

I kept meaning to as you about this during the week, but Stardew Valley keeps sucking up my free time! I'm definitely in the market for a new machine!

A more serious post now:

This is not yet a current need I have, but sooner or later I'll have to replace my current awesome desktop with yet another new one down the road and I'd like to get one that has a pretty good recording sound card in it now that I'm expanding into hardware recording (from a Roland XV-5050 and Sound Canvas 88 Pro) and will need something that further cleans up processed audio and handles latency better.

Is that the sort of custom work you do, Brad?

• 3 weeks later...

Any recommendation on some decent desktop speakers? I don't need anything too crazy over-the-top, but wanted to put a little more thought into it than the old "whatever my friends are getting rid of" method I've used in the past.

Like I see now that Bluetooth is pretty common in a lot of PC speakers... Does that work OK or is it prone to stuttering compared to a wired connection?

i only use headphones, so i don't have a ton of recommendations re: speakers. i do have a soundbar plugged in that i can access from my PC, but the bluetooth connection doesn't have any issues.

dusk - ME1 is great, but ME2/3 are some of my favorite games ever made. let me know when you play them so i can suggest a few must-try mods and DLC!

16 hours ago, yangfeili said:

Any recommendation on some decent desktop speakers? I don't need anything too crazy over-the-top, but wanted to put a little more thought into it than the old "whatever my friends are getting rid of" method I've used in the past.

Like I see now that Bluetooth is pretty common in a lot of PC speakers... Does that work OK or is it prone to stuttering compared to a wired connection?

These are what I got. I'm not super up on tech so I don't know too much, but I really like them. Great sound for when I'm not using my headset and my wife thinks they look cool too!

https://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-BassPULSE-Computer-Speaker-Subwoofer/dp/B004ALYGI2/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499966371&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=pc+speakers&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but I've only really noticed stuttering over Bluetooth with PC speakers if the speakers get too far away from the master device. If said device is your PC under the desk and the speakers are on said desk, then you should be fine as long as your desk isn't made of lead

On a side note, Brad should I worry about power usage if I want to add additional items to my PC (e.g. swap or add GPU, a third storage drive, etc)? The computer you built for me is a MSI Gaming 5 (i7 processor w/Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO), GeForce GT 730, ASUS optical drive, WD 2TB HDD, Samsung EVO 250gb SSD powered by a CX600. I'm woefully unaware of how much energy this setup is using and what the general rule of thumb is for computer power units. :-/

Thanks for the info... I think I just had a bad experience with a bluetooth connection on some device or another at some point in the past (may have just been that specific device), so good to know it's nothing to worry about.

I'm temporarily using an ancient pair of Altec Lansing ACS5 speakers which my family used back in like... 1995. I was able to open them up and fix the broken power switch which had originally consigned them to the technology graveyard in my mother's basement. They actually sound pretty good.

On 7/26/2017 at 10:49 PM, Anorax said:

Late to the party, but I've only really noticed stuttering over Bluetooth with PC speakers if the speakers get too far away from the master device. If said device is your PC under the desk and the speakers are on said desk, then you should be fine as long as your desk isn't made of lead

On a side note, Brad should I worry about power usage if I want to add additional items to my PC (e.g. swap or add GPU, a third storage drive, etc)? The computer you built for me is a MSI Gaming 5 (i7 processor w/Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO), GeForce GT 730, ASUS optical drive, WD 2TB HDD, Samsung EVO 250gb SSD powered by a CX600. I'm woefully unaware of how much energy this setup is using and what the general rule of thumb is for computer power units. :-/

the PSU on your system was significantly more than that build needed since you'd mentioned wanting to upgrade the GPU at some point. i don't remember specifically what CPU you have, but you could drop a GTX 1060 in there pretty easily and not have power issues still. a 1070 might be pushing it.

normal 7200rpm drives draw less than 20w per so you're fine to add them as much as you want.

How reasonable is it to get a build like:

-killer processing (blazing GHz + multicore, for audio)
-performs well in real-time audio processing (I've seen weird stories of systems with seemingly good specs that perform terribly with real-time audio because of awful latency in internal components)
-lot of RAM (like 64, or 128)
-lot of USB ports (peripherals like music gear, drawing tablet, etc)
-super silent, and cool
-a lot of M.2 and/or PCIe SSD storage (for excessively optimizing sample lib + project load speeds)
-small form factor, like ITX
-support 4 monitors, but graphics dont have to be like, pc gaming quality. I just need screen real estate, not so much any 3d rendering power

What kind of things are less realistic or would cost the most, here? Asking for next year, when I move circa August 2018.

nabeel, this is actually pretty doable. the thing i'm not sure about is the RAM prices, since they've been heavily in flux over the last 6-8 months. next year should bring some interesting options to the CPU market as Intel claps back at threadripper and ryzen, and SSD capacity per dollar just keeps going down.

IMO the RAM would be the most expensive part, since you're looking for really high-density options, but it depends on how much "a lot" of m2 storage is, and if you actually want 128gb of RAM. if you're talking several TB of storage, then that's going to be the priciest part, mostly thanks to mobos not having enough m2 slots to allow for lower-density options. then again, next year's a long way off.

this would cost some dough, of course, but i think it might be less than you think. ping me with some harder details - minimum core count and cpu speed expectations, storage sizes, etc - sometime early next year and we can go from there. these kind of builds are more fun since it's not just taking the standard stuff and setting it in a big case, so i like the prep on them =)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's been years since I've actively browsed OCR, but I've always had this service in the back of my mind. Personally, I think it'd be really cool to not only have a custom computer, but also something that was built by someone I grew up listening to. I'm probably a year or two away from needing a new machine, but I'm certainly interested. I'm currently based in Seattle and was wondering what you typically do for shipping?

yeah, i'll ship there. it's not the cheapest, but i use usps registered mail. this is a special service that includes insurance. basically, registered mail requires a record every time it's touched, so if it's damaged or lost in shipping, they can track it down and recompense for it. i've never had the bootprint-on-side-of-box experience with it, which i was getting occasionally when i started this service back in 2008 once and a while with normal post.

for a standard mid tower that's not overly heavy, expect shipping to be like 50-60$ to you, but i'll let you know if it's more or less. i refund some cash when it's way less than the estimate i quote, because i'm usually just going off of past transactions.

@prophetik music How much would it cost for you to build this Kind of computer(my music pc is having problems with a "stutter" exporting from my DAW because I'm building my own Multis from premade instruments for the kontakt player):

Product Specifications
Product Photos
Computer Case Cooler Master N 300  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
CPU Intel i9 - 7980XE Extreme (18 x 2.6 GHZ - Turbo 18 x 4.2 GHZ)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
CPU Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 12 - Low Noise  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Memory Corsair 128GB Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (8x16GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR4)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Graphics Card None or Motherboard Integrated Graphics  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Motherboard Asus TUF MARK 2 (Intel X299) - 6xUSB3.1/4xUSB2/RGB  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Sound Card Asus STRIX SOAR 7.1 (PCI-E)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Wired Networking Motherboard Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Expansion Cards 7 x USB 2.0 External Hub (USB)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Power Supply Corsair RMx 1000W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise / Silent  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
CPU Compound Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Extra Case Fans 1 x 120 MM Extra Case Fan - Ultra Low Noise  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Wireless Networking Wireless Network Card 300Mbps (PCI-E)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Hard Drive #1 6 TB Seagate (6000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 128MB Cache  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Hard Drive #2 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA-III, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
RAID RAID 1 (Mirror)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Hard Drive #3 8 TB Seagate (8000 GB) SATA-III HDD 5900 RPM 128MB Cache  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Hard Drive #4 2 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA-III, Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s - Silent  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Optical Drive #1 8x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - USB - (External)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Optical Drive #2 LG (WH14NS40) 14x Blu-Ray Re-Writer/Reader & 16x DVD/CD Re-Writer (Software Included)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Card Reader Internal Card Reader 50-in-1 (5.25 Inch Bay)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
External USB Storage 3.5" 6000GB (6TB) External Hard Drive - USB3  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Security Software Microsoft Windows Defender (10 Year License - 1 PC License)  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Backup Software 1-Click Recovery System - Image Backup - Original O/S DVD - 16 GB USB Recovery Drive  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Keyboards * Whatever small keyboard you recommend  
Product Specifications
Product Photos
Surge Protection 8 Port Surge Protection  

Product Specifications
Product Photos
Power Cable

1 x 1.8 Metre EU Mains Power Cable

...I got a quote of 6K+ in Euros from these guys: https://www.computerplanet.co.uk/