ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

More like, it's done when I say it's done. :lol: It's gradually getting closer to done.

Less time posting, more time getting the torrent done.

I mean, come on, the current torrent was back before I was even a posted mixer. Now I've been on staff for over a year.

[this is where you should say that the current torrent is better because I'm not on it]

:lmassoff:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if this question has been answered cause there is 51 page to read.

Why some mix subbed in 2009 and in the 'to be posted' are still not posted?

There's an answer a few pages back, let me find it.

Though the bottom line is posting chronologically, there are things that sway which mixes are posted when. There's a lot of these, so it does kind of make it look random at times, but here's just a few examples:

1) An album mixflood

2) Some event happening that a TBP mix can be relevant to (see the Minecraft posting around Minecon, or the recent postings for Gario, Flexstyle, and Rozovian for their Workshop Mod promotion, or even the mini-mixflood on the Metroid anniversary day last year)

3) Outside material is released and some of it has been submitted to OCR (see The One-Ups Super Mario Kart mix released near the time they did their album, or the mixes posted when Hylian Lemon released his Essence of Lime album)

On the backend, there are some things that determine which mixes are available to post. Some of those older ones may have some minor thing that needs remedying, such as getting a proper bitrate version or consent of multiple artists if needed. There are a few other things, but you get the idea. It also really just depends on what Dave wants to post that day, but he does like to fall back on chronological order if all else fails.

Hope that helps answer your question!

Hopefully that doesn't step on the staff's toes. :-( I just know it's something I wondered about for the longest time, and made a point of noting when that answer was given.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We consider them games. Feel free to submit remixes of music from visual novels (ero or otherwise).

I'm not sure we made a call, 100%, on that. What I'd like to capture in our definition of a game is that there should be a degree of challenge. If a visual novel is branching and allows for interactivity such that your actions can affect the outcome, especially if some outcomes are more "desirable" than others, I'm comfortable with that.

If you're literally just sitting there clicking "next" through a bunch of slides, that's more PowerPoint than game, and I think I'd object. What makes VGM unique in the first place is that it's music for interactive experiences that involve challenge of some sort. If there's no challenge and/or the level of interactivity is REALLY basic...

http://ocremix.org/info/Game

OverClocked ReMix defines a game as:

"Interactive visual entertainment software designed to execute on a specific platform, with an emphasis on challenge and goals." Each individual game in our database is described independent of the following criteria:

• Localization (language, PAL vs. NTSC, etc.)
  • Minor revisions (e.g. collector's editions)
  • Inclusion in compilations

For example, the following items do not meet this definition:

• Compilations consisting primarily of previously released material
  • Compilations with a wide variety of non-gaming content (e.g. magazine discs)
  • Emulation of a game (e.g. the Wii's Virtual Console)
  • Software that is primarily educational/informative or explorative in nature (sometimes referred to as "non-games")
  • Software that is primarily a creative tool or utility, with minimal gaming elements (e.g. eJay series, Korg DS-10)

Isn't the Sega Pico an educational console? How do you define educational games as being one that isn't allowed? I would guess a game like Brain Age would not be allowed, but do you guys actually look into the games to make sure it has some kind of goal more entertaining than doing math? Also math may be more entertaining and fun to some than it is to others... I don't dig math at all... but I know there's some mathemagicians around here who probably like it.

Would a game like Bejeweled be considered more substantial?

Edited by Brandon Strader

Isn't the Sega Pico an educational console? How do you define educational games as being one that isn't allowed? I would guess a game like Brain Age would not be allowed, but do you guys actually look into the games to make sure it has some kind of goal more entertaining than doing math? Also math may be more entertaining and fun to some than it is to others... I don't dig math at all... but I know there's some mathemagicians around here who probably like it.

Would a game like Bejeweled be considered more substantial?

Solving math problems, for example, is the element of challenge in an educational game. Educational games are typically fine. Music aside, no one here is arguing whether Number Munchers, Where in the World in Carmen Sandiego? or most of the Pico titles are games. Even Brain Age, SimCity and flOw have been referred to as "non-games," because of freeform play with no ultimate ending objective, but they all have puzzles and challenges. Dave can speak more to it, but in most cases, it seems challenges (i.e. the challenge of building a successful city in SimCity despite no ending objective, the puzzles of Brain Age) suffice as an element to call something a game.

The main thing I believe Dave means by the "educational software" example are non-game educational slideshows, encyclopedias and the like, i.e. software that can be played on a computer or console, but have no challenge elements like those found in a game.

Edited by Liontamer

So, any words about that?

It's an interesting hypothetical; I think it would be case-by-case, though. Anything so random/generative that it doesn't have a consistent structure to serve as a point of reference obviously can't be "arranged" in the traditional sense of the word, and would thus be ineligible. Anything debatable, well... we'd need to debate it :wink: