ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

Related question: have there been any recent changes in number of submissions, or number of resubmissions? I'm wondering if the ease and proliferation of self-publishing (both free via Youtube and Soundcloud, and paid via iTunes/Amazon/Bandcamp/etc.) is having an impact on this community. From my usual haunt, the Competitions, it seems like activity has nosedived for close to a year now, but I'm not sure whether that's reflected elsewhere in the site.

(Yes, I know self-publishing to the Workshop is on the to-do list--hopefully even if the Patreon goal is never met.)

You have pieces from March 2013 in the 'to be judged' section and that doesn't worry you?

One thing to remember is that we are NOT a barrier to ANYONE getting their music heard on the Internet. There are zillions of high-profile, high-audience (at least potential audience) options out there in this wonderful 21st century of ours, like YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.. Manual review, group review... actual arrangement analysis... these things take time and cannot be thoroughly automated, in spite of our A1 prank to the contrary,

So the answer comes in three parts:

1. As always, we're working on it. More than just lip service, we're taking some tangible steps to try and accelerate and catch things up ASAP.
  2. We're ALSO working on implementing an integrated workshop system that WILL be more of an instant-gratification type dealio, where WIPs and finished mixes alike will be integrated with our database and presented on the site alongside featured (i.e. judged & passed) mixes. Our Patreon should help fund some of these development efforts.
  3. In the meantime, keep your pantyhose on as much as possible and know that our uncompensated, completely pro-bono team of hard-working staff DO care and WILL make things better.

Edited by djpretzel

You have pieces from March 2013 in the 'to be judged' section and that doesn't worry you?

Piece. Which isn't there anymore. :lol: But no, it doesn't. But the reason it doesn't is because I've been around here long enough to see the wait time of the inbox be 0, so we'll get it much closer to that.

Related question: have there been any recent changes in number of submissions, or number of resubmissions? I'm wondering if the ease and proliferation of self-publishing (both free via Youtube and Soundcloud, and paid via iTunes/Amazon/Bandcamp/etc.) is having an impact on this community. From my usual haunt, the Competitions, it seems like activity has nosedived for close to a year now, but I'm not sure whether that's reflected elsewhere in the site.

(Yes, I know self-publishing to the Workshop is on the to-do list--hopefully even if the Patreon goal is never met.)

We have more submissions than ever. Part of the backlog involves more submissions by talented people, and fewer MIDI rips and very poor submissions. So even though quantity-wise we're on pace to post as many mixes as last year (which was the 2nd highest ever), we've still got a lot in the hopper because a higher ratio of submissions are being approved among the higher amount being sent in. We've got some good people who will be rising to the occasion to get us back on track though, and I'll be putting more time in as well.

One thing to remember is that we are NOT a barrier to ANYONE getting their music heard on the Internet. There are zillions of high-profile, high-audience (at least potential audience) options out there in this wonderful 21st century of ours, like YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.. Manual review, group review... actual arrangement analysis... these things take time and cannot be thoroughly automated, in spite of our A1 prank to the contrary,

So the answer comes in three parts:

1. As always, we're working on it. More than just lip service, we're taking some tangible steps to try and accelerate and catch things up ASAP.
  2. We're ALSO working on implementing an integrated workshop system that WILL be more of an instant-gratification type dealio, where WIPs and finished mixes alike will be integrated with our database and presented on the site alongside featured (i.e. judged & passed) mixes. Our Patreon should help fund some of these development efforts.
  3. In the meantime, keep your pantyhose on as much as possible and know that our uncompensated, completely pro-bono team of hard-working staff DO care and WILL make things better.

I appreciate the response, I really do. I also appreciate the work done here by the staff. But I stand by my original statement. If I finish a piece of music, I don't even remember how to play it 7 months down the line, let alone the 29 other elements that went into making it. I've also probably written 5 other pieces since then which I've also forgotten how to play. Feedback of any media needs to happen with more immediacy or it becomes redundant.

None of this is a complaint and I certainly have no place to tell you how to run your site. It's purely an observation, and I'm just looking for an honest discussion.

I'm curious about what new measures you plan on taking. Are you planning to alter the submission process a bit or alter the amount of votes for songs to be approved/rejected?

EDIT: Also, as a somewhat related note @sambarugh. Evaluating stuff takes time, and even if the comparison may seem ridiculous, just look at how much time it takes academic research papers to get published. It's obviously not the same, but it shows that even when people are being paid, it's hard to coordinate a judging/publishing system!

EDIT 2: It seems djp messed up and made a thread public that shouldn't be public in the judges forum? It's even stickied haha.

Edited by jnWake

I've also probably written 5 other pieces since then which I've also forgotten how to play. Feedback of any media needs to happen with more immediacy or it becomes redundant.

I'm guessing there was a missing "for me, at least" on the end of this thought, because we HAVE seen countless examples of folks revising pieces based on feedback that took a good while, and sometimes through multiple iterations. We ALL agree that it's ideal to provide feedback more quickly, and to that end it's always a good idea to get feedback via the workshop or from your friends or wherever BEFORE submitting. We do want to decrease the latency of judging, and we will, but I think the "redundancy" of feedback offered even at this current rate has shown to be variable, from artist to artist.

That girl Anastasia on the front page is kinda cute, but if you date her, does OCR get paid for the successful date or just for showing the ad? Also who is she, is this a friend of djp or just a random lady? Can you tell her I am super cool and stuff? Will OCR pay for the dates if anyone were to click that ad? Also, what were your plans to speed up the panel, you mentioned to them but didn't say what they were. :) Is Anastasia somehow involved with speeding up the panel?

I used to really mind the wait because I could get a resub back in within a day, and I guess that's still the case, but I'm doing a lot less resubbing now so I dunno (at least until they catch up and my rude awakening that the songs are poo)

I purposefully didn't say, but all 3 steps are already in motion. Anastasia isn't involved, no.

Hee heee... that sounds like click bait.. "3 Easy Steps to Speed Up the Judge Panel"

Well whatever you're doing, it seems to be working! :nicework:

Edited by Brandon Strader

Hey guys, I'm probably going to co-produce the 30-years NES tribute album and, well, I kind of like some advice on what to watch out for and some general advice about producing an album in general :-P If you guys want me to ask this question somewhere else that's fine with me, but seeing as you're actively encouring me to ask my questions here... :tomatoface:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if you guys have gotten my submission email yet? I submitted it on 8/12/2014 with the subject "Unknown Alias - Submission", but after 3 days I didn't get an auto-confirm email. I tried sending it again yesterday, but still no email in my inbox or junk. I sent both my emails to submissions@ocremix.org. Did I do something wrong at all? So sorry for the inconvenience or confusion.