ASK A JUDGE: While we're busy NOT voting - your questions, we want 'em

Liontamer

I have observed that each judge has an evaluation's style, but I don't know if I am correct in my observations. Could you say something about each judge style? (or each judge can do that) if there is one more rigorous, or each different values you think important?

(ignore this question if you think it is an unethical or embarassing one)

I have observed that each judge has an evaluation's style, but I don't know if I am correct in my observations. Could you say something about each judge style? (or each judge can do that) if there is one more rigorous, or each different values you think important?

(ignore this question if you think it is an unethical or embarassing one)

We don't have guidelines about how the vote should be structured or written, so people develop their own style of judging. There's a little give and take about what a judge cares most about or what they think is an issue - dissonance and dominant source usage are some areas of disagreement among the panel - but we all use what has been accepted recently (meaning last few years) as a baseline for what should be accepted. We don't have rules about tone either, but if we see a vote that we think is too harsh or unfair, we'll call each other on it.

• 2 weeks later...
so, when is the next torrent going to be released?

i recently redownloaded everything that's currently offered, and have been waiting for the next bulk batch to put the most recently released things on my ipod

Before 2011 is over, there will be updated torrents.

Sorta on the topic of Dan's [question], how does personal preference affect voting or does it?

I have no biases. I love stopwatches.

I have a question and I mean it as gently as possible, but I have a mix thats been in the Judge's Queue at 3 Y for the last, I think 3 months now.

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother with bothering on the time frame, but I'm curious to see why it's built up there pretty fast only to brickwall there for several months, even after Liontamer and DJP told me they'd get on it.

I'm curious what seems to be stopping it. Is there something wrong with the track or something I need to be doing about it? I know people are busy as always, but I'm getting this feeling something's wrong with the track or something.

Thank you as always.

I have a question and I mean it as gently as possible, but I have a mix thats been in the Judge's Queue at 3 Y for the last, I think 3 months now.

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother with bothering on the time frame, but I'm curious to see why it's built up there pretty fast only to brickwall there for several months, even after Liontamer and DJP told me they'd get on it.

I'm curious what seems to be stopping it. Is there something wrong with the track or something I need to be doing about it? I know people are busy as always, but I'm getting this feeling something's wrong with the track or something.

Thank you as always.

Same thing with The White Rider.. I'd like to know if it's no bother :|

• 1 month later...

these questions aren't related to the discussion that's been going on.

1. How would I go about forming an Artist Group? Just for info, i'd like to make a Hip Hop Collective equivalent of The Plaid Muffins. :<

and, yes, i've been asking around so it is a bit more than 3 people. =/

2. How could a current wip album project become an official OCR album project? (sorry, i'm at work so if this was answered already you can just link me to the page/post)

thanks

1. Uh... make one and submit something under that name? Dunno how that's a jooj question.

2. Make a proposal and send it to uh... any staff member except dave I guess. That should include as much info on your project, who's on it and how you're keeping quality up and examples of super bjawesome wips that show off how bjawesome your project is. Then post it in a specific staff section and we check it out and see wuts wut.

I'm stepping out of line here to answer these qeeeeeestions

these questions aren't related to the discussion that's been going on.

1. How would I go about forming an Artist Group? Just for info, i'd like to make a Hip Hop Collective equivalent of The Plaid Muffins. :<

and, yes, i've been asking around so it is a bit more than 3 people. =/

2. How could a current wip album project become an official OCR album project? (sorry, i'm at work so if this was answered already you can just link me to the page/post)

thanks

1. Nothing special, actually. When you send in the mix itself, list the artist as the name of your group. Then in the song description, list the members names and individual OCR pages (if applicable). The artist group should automatically be formed based on the information you provide, granted that the mix is accepted. The same thing happened for the Muffins, and I believe the same thing happens for each One Ups mix, Insert Rupee, etc. etc.

2. This SHOULD be in the wiki for projects, but you should send an email to projects@ocremix.org with a project proposal and link to the thread. The proposal is reviewed and then you're contacted about it.