halcyon + chthonic collab - Tal Tal Heights WIP

halc

Eh... This is interesting. You've bitcrushed the drums, you've killed the lead's high frequencies, and have mixed it to call more attention to the drums and the backing arrangement than the melody itself. You're using fairly simple synths much of the time.

I'd like to hear this break out of the lo-fi after a minute or less. It could easily rock. Just by fixing levels, EQ, and removing the bitcrusher, you could reallly improve it. Especially if you know how to transition from one to the other. I'm feeling some sense of direction, and the arrangement is pretty neat.

I can't get over the low-quality synths. They work as an intro, but for the rest of the track, the bitrate has got way too much headspace. Break out of lo-fi and rock on.

This ain't bad, I like where this could be heading. Just needs some more time and work to get there.

I totally agree with Rozovian. If you are able to transition this into some more hi-fi stuff, it'd set up some great sounds and end up working really well. In fact, it sounds to me like you could do it at the end of what you have right here. Either that, or do it when you hit that key change at 1:45 or so.

Keep up the good work!

I love Tal Tal Heights and I always appreciate new mixes of it. This is a really fresh take, but I'd personally like to see the melody come out of its shell once or twice, if even for 10 seconds. I get that the song is inverted, but having a section in the middle where the melody and drums show their true colors would not only give the song more movement but also make the song seem a bit longer.

And is that the real ending? If so, I like cut offs, reminds me of Beej's Fragments of Gold (which used the Dark World theme) but I'm not sure I like where it cuts off.