Email: tehekaj@gmail.com

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged: Super Metroid

Name of song: Lower Brinstar

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Jake (Ekaj)

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area" (sm-20.spc)

Expansive soundscape, but otherwise pretty similar to the original structure to start, though the melody and countermelody are modified a bit (sometimes just the 3rd beat, somtimes the 3rd & 4th beat). Subtle but viable interpretation there. Still in the buildup phase by 1:19 with the dropoff, but with a 5:50-long track there was plenty of room to work with.

Built up into some nice beat work and the main melody fading it at 1:45, before bringing the power at 2:12. Definitely being groove biased here, but this was looking like a hell of a nice expansionist take like bLiNd's "Space Cowboys", retaining the structure, but otherwise beefing the hell out of it. Maybe the standard of "Space Cowboys doesn't hold up anymore, so we'll see.

This isn't gonna win any award for melodic interpretation, but there was a bit done there. More importantly, the approach was expansive and personalized to the hilt. It's pretty interesting how this has a dark tone like the source tune, but addition of stuff like the breakbeats and gated synths clearly don't give off the same lonely energy the original does. Nonetheless, still a very spacious, well produced mix. I'm feeling like this will get NOed for being too conservative, but the sum total of the changes felt substantive enough to me.

Good luck with the rest of the vote. If this doesn't make it, don't be discouraged from submitting again. I enjoyed the Dubstep Mix available from your MySpace page, particularly "Empty Can". Good stuff.

YES

This isn't gonna win any award for melodic interpretation, but there was a bit done there. More importantly, the approach was expansive and personalized to the hilt.

/agree. This is an excellent example of how someone can be interpretive with a theme without restructuring it and giving it a total crossover-job altogether. To reemphasize Larry without totally relying on his exact words, I think this is something good for OCR to put on the shelf--"Red Brinstar" has been tastefully expanded upon; it brings in new elements, yet manages to miraculously maintain the classic Metroid-esque vibe. The breakbeats and electrosynth additions add energy while the naturally somber mood maintains that somber and lonely atmosphere.

I'm feeling like this will get NOed for being too conservative, but the sum total of the changes felt substantive enough to me.

Man, I sure as hell hope not. I understand that sometimes we split on votes, but I hope to goodness this is an obvious call for the rest of the panel. There's nothing borderline about this one, and I definitely hope for 4 easy YES's here. I'm not usually that bold in my vote, but this deserves it.

YES

Great title. 8-)

Not much change to the melodies, but there's new chords, new structure, and just a hell of a different feel, with plenty of new material backing up the pieces that are kept from the source. I'm not sure why this would be NO'ed for being too conservative; there's quite a few arrangements on OCR that do this sort of thing (including some of my songs). Like Jesse, I felt the drums were a little repetitive, which was puzzling given that some effort was put into those drum breakdowns every few measures. But there was always plenty going on to keep it interesting.

This thing just sounds great. High energy, full bodied, and a smooth flow (feel like I'm talking about an energy drink). I think people are really gonna like this one - I know I did.

YES