OCR00922 - Chrono Trigger "A World Awaits Chrono"

djpretzel

Ahh yes, someone mentioned a URL to this a week or so ago in #ocremix, and I picked it up. Love it. Definitely reminds me of AE. Wish I had the know how to give this a technical review, I'll leave that up to you remixers :P

btw: for anyone who wants to, try and get J:/Drive's version of the 600 A.D. theme, it's also really good.

Meh.

A electronica/techno CT theme. Whoopie.

Is it just me, or are these getting old?

The fact remains that the song is on OCR and that this is a forum for "reviews" (of all things). Whether you think there are too many or too few of these songs is your own opinion- that has nothing to do with the quality of each individual piece.

I just wanted to mention that DJP said the song had a resemblence to Vic Viper's arrangement "DownTown." I think he, in fact, meant Digimatic's "Simon's Town," which is an arrangement of the same song.

In any case, I really like the song and wouldn't classify it as "techno" at all.

Not if it's done right.

I remember the Temporal Distortion mix covering the same song, I didn't really like it that much for some reason. This, however, this...is pretty freaking cool even though I've heard the theme so many times.

I remember this on vgmix awhile back. The second half seems better as more originality is put into it by then. Definitely something to put the volume to the max for.

The fact remains that the song is on OCR and that this is a forum for "reviews" (of all things). Whether you think there are too many or too few of these songs is your own opinion- that has nothing to do with the quality of each individual piece.

Exactly. There will never be enough Zeal remixes.

Excellent piece, btw.

There's something about this mix that stands out from any other version I've heard. I don't know what exactly, but it makes for a pleasing version of the CT version. Whether or not it's part of an ever-growing list of CT remixes, it's stands on it's own as a powerful song.

Ahh yes, someone mentioned a URL to this a week or so ago in #ocremix, and I picked it up. Love it. Definitely reminds me of AE. Wish I had the know how to give this a technical review, I'll leave that up to you remixers :P

btw: for anyone who wants to, try and get J:/Drive's version of the 600 A.D. theme, it's also really good.

yeah i've been listening to this for a while now, and i can't get enough of it.

glad to see it's on OCR to be shared by the masses!!

and yes... J:/Drive's 600 A.D. theme also kicks ass.

AY! I caught this awesome song back on vgmix under a different name: "From Woodsword to Katana". Why the name change? Anyway, I think I reviewed this back at vgmix. I said something along the lines of how awesome the drums were, how the orchestral parts worked well, and how great the electronic sounds are. Everything in this is top notch. I think I griped about something about how it gets a bit too busy near the climax, but I've changed my mind. It's great. This possibly my favorite mix ever. This is the song I play for my electronic music lovin friends to show them how cool video game remixing can be. I hope I can ever kick close to how much ass this song does. Freakin awesome.

Yeah this is totally one of my favorite CT mixes all the way back when I first heard it on vgmix and definately deserves to be recognized here aswell. :)

Beautifully done in very much the same style as AE, so more of a reason why I cant wait to hear more from j:/drive in the future!!! :D

Awesome. Definitely sounds like it would be on PMM's Squaredance. I like the combination of Hip Hop with Electronica. The scratches and distortions are done excellently, and the ending clock ticking is a nice touch. This remixer knows what they're doing. You know, I hear a lot of mixes, and I personally sometimes think, why? Or maybe, this could've been better. But this person's got, at least that's what I get from this mix. I'd like to hear more.

~DJ Crono~

Jam-packed with detailed effects and little tricks here, there, everwhere! My favorite is the fake ending at 4:20 or so. There are very fine moments of that sweeping feeling that I think Mitsuda captured so well in the CT Title theme.. but overall my only complaint is that the segmented/chopped leads and syncopated drum beat can't convey the feeling so well. At some points I felt like the mix was trying to be cool or clever or creative or wacky or slicey and had forgotten to just be beauitful. But "The lady doth complain too much..." for this is really an amazing remix.

And, by the way, the little splice in of Terra's theme was terribly clever.

yh

hello J:/Drive! lets..start..! A pretty good mix, there are a few *SLIGHT* issues.. but.. this is deffinitely worth the long download. Especially for that ending - it can blow you away :P

0:01 - its a clock! ..it has to be CT! i know it!

0:11 - cool intro..digging the sudden beat changes here..along with those open chords..delicious.

0:30 - Sounds a LOT like the original..but the beat sounds awesome.. along with whats used.

0:40 - Whoa! awesome stuff here.. But again, a lot like the original, which doesnt sit well with me. Lots of stuff going on here.. Cool beat.. the lead is done quite nicely, i love the sudden stops.

0:58 - Again..still very much like the original..lets mix it up!

1:08 - Ouch - that hurt the ears a bit, careful..

1:30 - Cool Drumbeat.. But again, Its a LOT like the original, even when you change it up, you can still hear the original, feels like nothings new beyond some cool effects.

2:27 - OMG! my Mp3 Skipped!

2:40 - The drumwork is getting a bit TOO sporatic for the mixes own good, while i see what your trying to do, I Don't think it complements everything 100%..

3:04 - Some Chords sound OFF here.. maybe its my ears..but .. something sounds off.

3:24 - ahh, it was inteded to be off at this point, which i understand, thank you for mixing some stuff up :P

3:42 - Excellent work here...The Synth WOULD have created a Dance-ish vibe if it wasn't out of place through this part.. I wish you would have fixed that.. examples: 3:45 - 3:56 - 4:00

4:23 - Cool work here.. love the sudden stop.. The chords here are done very well. EXCELLENT work here. the bassline Brings this part at you, deffinitely a sign of pulling out all the stops, which i LOVE.

5:20 - Brilliant work here at the end, DEFFINITELY the highlight of the mix. It all came together quite nicely.

First review this year,

This is a remix of the Chrono Trigger Theme I've been waiting for a long time to hear. Upbeat, slightly electronic and having variations. I've heard an Acid Jazz version of this theme, and it wasn't as good. Everything is excellent in this mix, good synth lines, some intentional skipping, nice choices of chances. Very good, except for how much reverb you put on the clock sound in the beginning and ending.

The best Chrono Trigger Theme mixage from J Drive to date.

Just a bit of info for those who are comparing J:\Drive to Digimatic and/or Æ: Æ + Digimatic + J:\Drive = Wave Theory.
Heh heh. Thanks, we know. It was in djp's original write up. ;)

Okay. Coolest part of this mix is the "CD skipping" effect J:/Drive used. That blows me away.

Also, the ending from about 4:19 till the end is to die for.

I did have some issues with a few notes here and there I felt were a little... off. Things where I understood the choices made, but felt they were a little jarring, mostly in the bridge. But those are drops in a bucket of goodness.

Cool effects, good original tune, great song.

Definitely recommend this one.

I'm so happy to see J:/Drive here at OCR. This is one of my all-time favourite remixes - I picked it up from VGMix a while ago under it's 'Woodsword to Katana' guise. Unfortunately VGMix always seems to be down since, and I've tried finding some more stuff from J:Drive, so hopefully here's where I can get it.

I'm not musical myself (I just love these remixes), so I can't offer any musical criticism except to say that I love the whole of this and can't wait to hear more :D

EDIT: I gave it a couple more spins.

I've been spoiled with so many remixes of this popular track that they all start to sound the same to me. However, the second half of the remix DID have new interpretations and for that i was appreciative. I agree with everyone else that the ending was very well done and improvised.

Let me just sum up by saying this remix has tremendous quality in terms of technical work (its not easy to do), but I felt some sounds were a little off key and it disturbed me. I thought about what those quarky off key notes mean to this remix... I guess i'm just a tad bit conservative cuz im sure its something new and innovating, but it hurts my musical soul. J:\Drive has really got something here though (especially that beat work at 3:37) and I can't wait to hear what cool INNOVATIVE stuff i'll hear next from him.

Well, I cant say much regarding the appropriateness of what instruments and form the artist used considering I have no remixing background, but I must say this song, in my opinion, far surpasses any other Chrono Trigger remix on the site. Sometimes I think its better to just to sit back and listen to the remix as a whole and take it all in, instead of dissecting it and saying how such and such a portion could of been better. I don’t know if I’m alone here, but I feel this song is truly a masterpiece.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00922 - Chrono Trigger "A World Awaits Chrono"