SSB Brawl Main Theme WIP - orchestral breaks/big beat

Sole Signal

This is awesome stuff. The beat is stupendous. I really love the idea you had at :51-:53. I think it would be cool if you added just a tad more contrast in this tiny section to the reentry into the groove, like make it feel smaller (I think the Cello is what's doing it). I think more peepz will appreciate that mini breakdown more. Anyway, uber qualityz.

I think you people are blinded by the OMG BRAWL OMGGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM

The fake guitar gives away any illusion of a performance. The orchestral samples are too slow on the attack and they sound very out of place with the beat because they're mixed very poorly. The beat itself is decent but too repetitive and doesn't go anywhere. The concert bass drum at the end sounds even more out of place in this. The bass is good, I like the bass.

Overall this sounds very disjointed and awkward. It's too early to judge the quality of your arrangement (so far it's pretty boring and depressing sounding) but I say keep working on this and it should turn into a good song.

It has some weird phasing or flanger color that's screwing with the panning. Seriously, get rid of that, it's really annoying.

Other than that, this is pretty cool. The guitar sounds awful man, see if you can use something else or have someone record some guitar for you.

Arrangement is cool, but there's those pesky production issues to deal with. I've got no problem with the mixing, but there's instrument tweaks, and that dang modulation effect that you should get rid of. BRAWL!! :D

For me, an OCReMix has to be equal to or better than the original track. Now, I don't know if it's just because I've been inundated with the song recently, but this in particular is not doing it for me. I'm in agreement with teh Snapple here about the awkwardness, but I'm not even sure that replacing the guitar with something real will help. The orchestral part simply isn't lining up with the beat - it's slightly behind, entrance isn't clean, etc. I like 1:02 on, probably because you backed off on the percussion a bit, but overall it feels...almost forced. If you could get it to line up a little better I think it'd be much improved, and decide whether or not you want the beats to overpower the orchestral like they're doing now.

I agree about the original track being incredible already, so trying to recreate that in a purely orchestral mix would be pretty pointless. Sure, it's different and probably annoys some people because it isn't as awesome as the original, but is that even possible?

Admittedly, I developed the beat first and decided to try to fit the theme into it, but I think it works (except maybe that flange on the drums). It's different, but a good different. I also don't think the guitar sounds as bad as you guys think it does, but that's just cause you guys get spoiled by the likes of Sixto, Fishy, and Snapple around here. :)

Anyway, thanks for the comments; I knew this would be a pretty controversial mix. :<

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I like the beat, I'm going to throw that out their right now. Although the guitar is obviously fake, its kept under the weather enough for me not to point fingers at it (although it'd be sweet if you got someone to actually play some real guit-fiddle there).

The mixing is, at the moment, questionable. The drums sound like they've got too much flanger and are playing from inside a full bottle of water.

This is a great theme to mix (even after hearing it a million zillion @!#%$!!! times), but at the same time it's popular, meaning people won't want to be disappointed. Good luck on future touch ups, as of right now I'd like to hear what results with more work added on.

The guys around here are becoming so elitist it's ridiculous. I've been listening to OC Remixes for years and I've heard my share of WIP's as well, and I say that this is great so far. The guitar may not be completely convincing, but it's perfectly fine. I've heard much worse. As for it being "awkward", I think you're just pulling that out of your rear. It in no way applies to what I'm listening to. What's here is fantastic-- better than many mixes that are already on the site. I say don't worry about this part anymore and get to work on the rest of the arrangement.

Great beat and very fun strings. You manage to work a ton of elements together by keeping them low-key. A very original, addictively catchy interpretation of the source. Not that I would expect anything less!

Looking forward to an update with Neko-flavored guitar.

Ooooh yeah, sounds much better! The odd drums before nearly ruined it, but this is much farther in the right direction. The several additions are nice, great job.

Since you're getting some real guitar in there, I'm looking forward to this even more so now. Keep up the great work.

• 5 months later...