*NO* Ninja Gaiden 'Ninjitsu Symphony'

djpretzel

Hey yo ey. Well this is my 2nd submission, hopefully first one that gets

accepted (or I'll cry.) This one is an orchestral sort of take on Act 5:

Scene 1 from Ninja Gaiden. Mmmmm, anyhow,

Mix Masta Munk - Ninja Gaiden Ninjutsu Symphony

And if you could be ever so kind, plz rename it to be MixMastaMunk-NinjaGaidenNinjutsuSymphony.mp3 (and of course add OC Remix to

the end if you see fit ;))

I can't name it like that for hosting reasons :|

Well, it got off to a good start, although not for orchestral, but perhaps symphonic electronica? Anyway, after the neat intro, the majority of the song just seems dry. The drums are REALLY lifeless, although well programmed. The piano also sounds quite dead, and maintains the same velocity on every note. I really think that if you're going to use a piano in your song for anything more than a few notes here and there, you should really at least try to make it seem like it was played off of a real piano. The constant velocity thing really doesn't do it for me.

The pads/strings throughout sound pretty nice and really fill out the stereo field well, and things all around seemed to be panned quite well. You also seemed to have a real plan as to how you wanted the song to run from start to finish, so all in all, I agree with orkybash about your composition. I guess I'd say this song really hits its peak around 2:27 where the piano stops going bonkers. The neat monosynth right around there also sounds really nice and fits perfectly.

So pretty much, make the song a bit less dry and lifeless, replace those drum samples, and you're good to go. Until then:

NO

you ever licked a 2x4?

That's what this is like: dry.

And it really is the samples that kill this one. The piano part between 1:42 and 2:28 is pretty ... illplaced, I think. Well, I just think the piano for the choice of lead there is pretty crappy sounding. Anyway, compositionally this isn't bad. Kind of a wall-of-sound feel to it. Like Phil Specter!

NO

D

I believe that the other judges have already hit on the points I would have brought up. The arrangement itself is pretty well done, but it would sound much better with some new life blown into it. Considering that the piano is the same velocity regardless of what note is played, it really detracts from the overall quality of the mix. Take this to consideration along with Beatdrop's suggestions, and you should definitely be good to go.

Until then,

NO