*NO* Metal Gear Solid 'Snake Shake'

djpretzel

Did I screw up? I thought we'd covered this one, but I guess not . . -djp

djpretzel,

I've probably sent an email every 2 months for the past 7-8 months trying to get you to post my Metal Gear Solid Remix, but to no avail. I'm trying again.

Please check out the following URL:

ReMixer: Nebyoolae (that would be I)

ReMix: Snake Shake

Length: 5'01

File: snake_shake.mp3 (128k CBR)

Size: 4.7 mb

Tools Used: FruityLoops, SoundForge, lots o' samples from MGS

Please check it out, as even thought it's my first try, I think it's a cool electronic treatment of the old Metal Gear "Sneakin' In" theme mixed with samples from Metal Gear Solid.

Sincerely,

Nebyoolae

Certainly doesn't sound familiar, but then again I've been away for several months, so *shrugs*.

I'd cut the intro in half. It didn't hold my interest, and in fact left me wondering whether or not there would be any actual music in the MP3 I downloaded. Though I was glad when it finally broke out, to be honest I could have been more impressed. The main melody is too repetative, with rather weak instrumentation. In fact, I think I can safely say that the samples from the game do more to sell the remix than anything musical. They are put together rather well. However, I don't know about the other judges, but I for one don't think that sample collections have a place on OCR.

NO

Hmmm...

This is basically what I was thinking as I listened to this:

[start] Hmmm... boy do I recognize that sample from FL... In fact, I can even remember that it's called "Distant." Oh well, maybe it'll get neater.

[0:30] Okay, still doin' the same thing we've been doing for awhile...

[1:00] Wow, sure is a lot of change happening... er, nope, nevermind. More of the same intro-ing garble.

[1:30] Awfully jumbled... BUT WAIT! Holy smokes! Something happened! Hey, that was cool! Now it sounds way different and more musical!

[2:00] ...Bored already...

Rinse, repeat.

Well, the sounds you used are pretty low-end samples. In fact, I don't think anything in this is synthesized, which isn't uncommon to find in work from unexperienced remixers, or even those that work with Orchestral or other heavily sample-based genres of music, but it just doesn't work here. Hell, if you'd at least done this in a House style it might have gone over better, but the samples really, really drag this thing down.

Probably could have gone without the rhythmical sounds of beating up Genome soldiers, too.

The dramatic pauses (like the one at 2:39) are pretty cool, and really work well in this song, and except for the excessive use of samples, I'd almost maybe post this, but yeah. To sum up, too many MGS samples too often, too many low-quality instrument samples, too repetitive, and a bit too loud (or is it just me?).

NO

you know those tapes that people play on halloween, with the annoying distorted audio effects and you usually just stay away from the house because of the annoying sound and don't bother with the candy?

Yeah, that's this song up until 1:30. And the voice samples along with the music are NOT a nice juxtaposition. I honestly don't think the instrument used for the bass was well chosen.

dammit, this song is so annoying. WAY too many samples from the game that make this annoying. Even without them... I don't know.

NO

D