OCR01704 - Final Fantasy VII & Super Metroid "Harmony of Destruction"

djpretzel

Yeah, there ended up being a lot of back and forth between myself and Chris trying to obtain the source files! The first time I got them from him, I uploaded his WAV to the judges FTP, but I'm sure my shitty connection messed it up, because after uploading a clean WAV, the uploaded version that BGC mastered ended up having 2 really bad clicks/pops, so we couldn't post it after he had worked on it.

After letting Chris know the situation, and him having no problems, he hoped to instead give us the song broken down into 3 layers (strings, brass and percussion) so that mastering it could be done more easily. Chris kind of dropped off the face of the earth after that, so I'd periodically mail him or PM him with "where da files? :'-(" But he was laid back and wasn't in any rush, so once he got those files to me months later, zircon was able to master it and this was finally ready!

H00-ray!

Definitely epic, and some really strong imagery for me. listening to it feels almost like climbing a tower battling the orcs mentioned by zyko. then you get to the top around 3:05 and you think you've won... then the FF7 source shows up along with the evil overlord. i couldn't decide whether i had won or lost at the end though... moar plez!

You'll probably never hear this from me again, but I actually kind of enjoyed this arrangement. I am so opposed to dramatic, over the top, super epic Hans Zimmer/Jerry Goldsmith arrangements that it's ridiculous, but you somehow pulled it off.

The ending didn't work as well as the rest, but that's fine. The rest of it makes up for that.

Big and stompy, the percussion on this one is fantastic. It is really a strong atmosphere piece, rather than something specifically melodic, making it slightly harder for me to get into. Despite my personal preference, it is very well done, and there are some fantastic textures throughout, and great progression. It also sounds completely badass; this is the type of mix that steals the other mixes' lunch money.

Great transition of the theme, the whole thing was seamless.

The low brass was a bit blatty for my tastes, but that's the only real complaint I have with the mix.

Well played. :-)

Hmmm, yes, strong atmosphere and all, but somehow, it seems to me that this song is meandering. I don't hear any real climax; it just goes on. I guess that works if you look at it as some background piece for a movie, but as a stand-alone song, I think it would need more oomph at some point.

But a well done remix nonetheless.

Is it just me or are parts of this straight out of Super Metroid? Parts of it (2:00~) sound like the music from Ridley's hideout.

I like this mix, and I loved that music, and I had to check to see if this was really a FF7 mix and not Super Metroid whlie listening to it!

Is it just me or are parts of this straight out of Super Metroid? Parts of it (2:00~) sound like the music from Ridley's hideout.

I like this mix, and I loved that music, and I had to check to see if this was really a FF7 mix and not Super Metroid whlie listening to it!

Of course there's Super Metroid in there. How did you download this without reading the writeup? Read the writeup! :lol:

• 4 months later...

I hardly EVER post on this site, but this one I love. I was hooked in the first 5 seconds. Authoritative, powerful... Combining two songs that are powerful and darkly forboding, yet the way you did it was not so despairing that the song can't be enjoyed.

Actually, come to think of it, I like all of ellywu2's stuff like this, especially the Masamune theme from Chrono Trigger. THAT was amazing.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A very interesting juxtaposition of two very sinister pieces. Personally I'm more partial to the Norfair aspect of it but the fusion of the two pieces together with the artist's incredible talent makes for a very intense adrenaline rush. A death march even Darth Vader would be proud to march to :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01704 - Final Fantasy VII & Super Metroid "Harmony of Destruction"