Capcom: The Great Okami Watermark Fiasco

Rayza

There's two things that are stupid here.

One is Capcom's gaf.

The other is the continued practice of sites like IGN and mobygames of watermarking other people's cover art, screenshots, etc. in the first place. It implies some sort of ownership where there really isn't any, seems like it would fail any "fair use" test miserably since the only modification is branding, and furthermore suggests that these sites are doing soooo much work on these images that they couldn't afford people using the images elsewhere without benefiting from free advertising in the process.

I'm anti-watermark, and it seems like specifically the large gaming sites are just so darn fond of them, something like this was bound to happen. No excuses for Capcom, but imo the more problematic thing is the underlying reason why this happened in the first place.

I've got to agree with Jam Stunna. This really has nothing to do with Capcom's game making ability, just someone insignificant who will probably now be at the worst canned. Capcom's guys continue making games unchanged, and the next box art designer is more cautious at his job.

A 'fiasco' would be an event that hindered Capcom much more than that.

If anyone has the Wii version, and wants that logo gone from their cover art, I can edit it out. Just supply a nice 300dpi scan (with descreening on the scans), and I'll do it. The screenshot will take longer (assuming that's on the back), but the front cover wouldn't take long at all.

Of course, that's going with the notion that this isn't some goofy hoax just for the lol of it by someone.

"To better reflect the artistic nature of the game, we're proud to offer you new art for the outside of the box."

I lold.

Seriously though, the new alt box art is pretty hawt.

lol, indeed. Gotta love those PR spins. Those who don't notice that IGN mark are living under a rock.

Anyway, I ordered the boxart on the far left. That one looks sweet!