OCR01710 - Final Fantasy V "Groove, Sweet Groove"

I'm very glad I listened to the source before I listened to the remix because IT SHOWS how much you did to it!

It is funky and I am thoroughly digging it. How did you make another one of these amazings I will never know, but I will not question it.

I hope more people download it even though it is from an obscure-ish soundtrack...

Care to elaborate on that? What's so jokey about it? :?

What RoeTaKa said. It's not the arrangement so much - I mean, I don't like the arrangement, but I don't find it to be ridiculous or anything. He clearly has a good understanding of melody and knows how to improvise with it fairly skillfully. But his choice of sounds are just... goofy. The synths, a xylophone (or marimba)... it just sounds silly!

What RoeTaKa said. It's not the arrangement so much - I mean, I don't like the arrangement, but I don't find it to be ridiculous or anything. He clearly has a good understanding of melody and knows how to improvise with it fairly skillfully. But his choice of sounds are just... goofy. The synths, a xylophone (or marimba)... it just sounds silly!

Yeah, I can definitely buy that.

Is this supposed to sound utterly ridiculous? Really, this sounds like a joke.

While "utterly ridiculous" might not be what I was going for it wasn't meant to be the most serious instrument combination. Instead I tried a blend of instrument that appealed to me and my playing. Since I'm interested in analog synths but also in Jazz I felt it would be fun to blend the two into something I enjoy. Every instrument is also keyboard-based (the xylo does have a piano-like layout) so I could play everything without having to think about the limitations of, say a string instrument. Since I play everything on my keyboard when I record it, it's important to me. The only exception is the drums which I play on my Korg padKontrol.

Hope it makes more sense to you now. I also hope you would refrain from expressing yourself so bluntly in the future since it obviously rubs quite a few people the wrong way.

Another Soundscape said:
I also hope you would refrain from expressing yourself so bluntly in the future since it obviously rubs quite a few people the wrong way.

I'm not going to refrain from being honest just because it might upset some people. No one's going to grow if they don't get real opinions, and while it may not be the highest quality critique, I certainly won't pad my comments to make them child-safe.

As to the other parts of your comments, I understand your instrument choice - I love these kinds of synths too, but... I mean, they're funny. It's particularly that high synth that comes in near the beginning, though not exclusively that synth. I would expect to hear it in an extremely light-hearted, kiddish setting. The xylophone evokes images of skeletons dancing in a Saturday morning Tom & Jerry cartoon thing, particularly how it's used. Plus an accordion at the end? It's really easy to get the impression of utter ridiculousness from this.

It also doesn't help that you chose a rather somber original song to arrange - changing the style so much with the above mentioned things kind of sounds like a joke tune to me. A very skillfully done one, mind you, but a joke tune nonetheless. I just got the impression that this was being taken very seriously as an arrangement, when it seems to be that this is more like a, "Hahaha, let's do something wacky and fun with this!" That is what I expect from a joke tune.

I probably wasn't being terribly clear, but I don't mean an ounce of this as an insult. I think it's slightly detrimental to the piece, but that's a personal taste thing and not a lack-of-skill thing. I want it to be perfectly clear that this is a very well-produced and skillfully arranged piece. I was just completely thrown off guard by the silliness, and I don't really like it.

Edit: I was a complete asshole. There are much better ways to provide feedback than this. Sorry. :(

Edited by oakthielbar
I was an asshole

I'm not going to refrain from being honest just because it might upset some people. No one's going to grow if they don't get real opinions, and while it may not be the highest quality critique, I certainly won't pad my comments to make them child-safe.

As to the other parts of your comments, I understand your instrument choice - I love these kinds of synths too, but... I mean, they're funny. It's particularly that high synth that comes in near the beginning, though not exclusively that synth. I would expect to hear it in an extremely light-hearted, kiddish setting. The xylophone evokes images of skeletons dancing in a Saturday morning Tom & Jerry cartoon thing, particularly how it's used. Plus an accordion at the end? It's really easy to get the impression of utter ridiculousness from this.

It also doesn't help that you chose a rather somber original song to arrange - changing the style so much with the above mentioned things kind of sounds like a joke tune to me. A very skillfully done one, mind you, but a joke tune nonetheless. I just got the impression that this was being taken very seriously as an arrangement, when it seems to be that this is more like a, "Hahaha, let's do something wacky and fun with this!" That is what I expect from a joke tune.

I probably wasn't being terribly clear, but I don't mean an ounce of this as an insult. I think it's slightly detrimental to the piece, but that's a personal taste thing and not a lack-of-skill thing. I want it to be perfectly clear that this is a very well-produced and skillfully arranged piece. I was just completely thrown off guard by the silliness, and I don't really like it.

Well then I completely understand you and thank you for your input. And yeah, I did not take this very seriously as an arrangement and it was more of a "Haha, let's do something wacky" so it's alright. I was probably thrown off-guard becaus the only thing you said was that it was utterly ridiculous and sounded like a joke and that seemed more like trolling to me. Now that you've explained I can sleep at night. Now if you'll excuse me I'll stop going off-topic in the review thread ;)

I can tell you that for what it is, it's very well done. Definately a total turnaround of the theme and style, and a fun listen.

That being said, I do have to throw in my hat with the "not my favorite" ring. I'm just not crazy with what you did here. Can't really say much more.

Despite all of that, I did smile a little listening to it, and there were parts that I did enjoy.

This is my favourite Anso remix so far. The arrangement is quality stuff, just as usual, but this time, there's absolutely no instrument/synth/anything else that rubs me the wrong way as was the case with his previous remixes. Everything goes together incredibly well and creates a wonderfully goofy, fun song.

The drums coming in at about 0:53 should sound a little meatier, though.

Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Heeey it's the famous swede! :P

I must say that buildup from 0.38 and forth is genius.

Sounds so good.. and when it gets started with that organ for the first time 1.09. GRAWAHHH!

It's lovely! My favorite part.

Really cool that you go circus-crazy at 3.17. Big good sounding suprise.

Humoristic and wellproduced.

GO FOR MOER FF5 TRACZKLZ!

I keep trying to insert the lyrics that I heard from the "N Geneeration" disc from Tokyopop into this song while I'm listening...

Hmm... yeah I think it'd sound a bit better if it had been formed with them in mind.. but mueh, tis just an opinion, and I can't hear what it would sound like if it was crafted such.

I keep trying to insert the lyrics that I heard from the "N Geneeration" disc from Tokyopop into this song while I'm listening...

Hmm... yeah I think it'd sound a bit better if it had been formed with them in mind.. but mueh, tis just an opinion, and I can't hear what it would sound like if it was crafted such.

Why should he have formed the song with some random song's lyrics in mind? Better yet, why would that be a valid reason to penalize the structure of this track? :lol:

Why should he have formed the song with some random song's lyrics in mind? Better yet, why would that be a valid reason to penalize the structure of this track? :lol:

In his defense, now that I think about it he might've meant Home, Sweet Home (Arranged Version) from the album Final Fantasy - N Generation.

It's in 3/4 as the original and it has (horrible, horrible) lyrics on top of it.

so, if he meant something like "I, personally, would've liked it if you stayed closer to the original feel of the track. Especially the arrangement with lyrics from the 'Final Fantasy - N Generation' album." sure, by all means that's a valid opinion that we would've understood. Now you were tripping over words and people who did not know about this album thinks you're an idiot who was talking about some random lyrics ;)

I understand this is not everyone's cup of tea since I completely changed the feel of the original. Just trying to sort things out.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01710 - Final Fantasy V "Groove, Sweet Groove"