Touhou 5 - U.N. Owen Was Her? Remix

Koiu Lpoi

Hello all,

I'm a big fan of the Touhou series of games - the music in particular. One of my favourite themes has been the theme of Flandre Scarlet from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. (If you don't know it, you've probably heard a, uh, "remix" in the youtube video that's been floating around by the name of "Ronald McDonald insanity" or "Mc Roll'd".) So, I whipped up a progressive electronic...ish piece based on that song. You can find the actual original song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYQHMSN13j4

Note that this is WIP #1, so it is very rough. And I know the "solo" sounds, uh, not so good.

Also, this is only the "main" section of the song; there's approximately two others that I could include (if need be), but I don't really think they could work well.

Please, listen and comment!

http://koiulpoi.googlepages.com/U.N.OwenWasHer.mp3

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[X] Drums have no energy

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

First of all, no knock against you or this mix, but no mix will ever ever ever EVER top this one for this song:

Now that that's out of the way... :)

Too conservative. The main melody runs throughout almost the entire WIP. There are only a few brief moments where it strays into originality.

Kick drum is fine, but everything else is just too quiet percussive-wise and doesn't induce any "get up and groove" energy.

The synth used for the main line is... eh... grating. Maybe it's not the synth itself, but the fact that it's used for the entire song for the main melody, with very few changes throughout.

This goes to the repetitive nature of the piece; just not enough to stray and call it a "remix" of sorts. It sounds more like a cover in dance-mode (though again, percussive elements aren't there to make me want to dance).

The ending also drags on far too long with no percussion behind it, and it may just be me but the end gets louder than the rest of the piece unnaturally.

This mix really isn't all that bad, it's just that nothing really stands out and everything sounds generic. Production is ok, the lead synths could definitely do with some kind of LFO FM or Frequency cutoff modulation or something similar to keep the whole thing moving.

The main problem is the INCREDIBLE amount of repetition. The source has SEVERAL great riffs but you stick to that one from the beginning to the end which makes me lose interest after the first quarter of the mix. There's also really no interpretation going on, you're basically using a small portion of the source as the base for your remix and having a few different synths doing some noodling over it. Definitely try to incorporate either more of the source or just some original stuff. Good luck!

No mix will ever ever ever EVER top this one for this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbTC7NHPc5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNj-slamlO0&feature=related

You were saying?

Thanks for the listens, guys.

Yeah, it is really repetitive. I just didn't really know where else to go or what to do with the song. The rest of the original piece doesn't really... fit, to me.

Ah well. You probably won't hear a WIP #2 of this piece... I just don't think I have the skills to do decent remixes.

I guess I can go back to listening to Fire Field from the Brawl soundtrack on repeat and wishing I was that good...

P.S. I just realized I typed Touhou 5 in the title, not 6. Do'h!

I just don't think I have the skills to do decent remixes.

Please don't get discouraged from remixing because of some negative, though constructive feedback. Believe me when I say I've heard a LOT worse than this and I can see you have definitely potential for improvement. The problem wasn't any inherent lack of musicality or talent, it's just that, as you have stated yourself, you can't do a lot with the rest of the source to fit your style, which really isn't your fault but rather because of the source/style you chose. Don't give up :)

Please don't get discouraged from remixing because of some negative, though constructive feedback. Believe me when I say I've heard a LOT worse than this and I can see you have definitely potential for improvement. The problem wasn't any inherent lack of musicality or talent, it's just that, as you have stated yourself, you can't do a lot with the rest of the source to fit your style, which really isn't your fault but rather because of the source/style you chose. Don't give up :)

Well, since we're on the topic... I've been at "this level" of musical composition/talent for a couple years now, and haven't been improving. Almost all of my projects end up like this one - I get a good idea, write something, and it ends up being about 30 seconds of actual "material". And then I get stuck. Usually it goes in the "work" folder and never gets touched again, but sometimes I decide to repeat things and change things to try and get length and variety out of it.

Sorry to just gush out like this, but this isn't, well, the first time I've gotten discouraged with music. I think part of the problem is that I happen to really like very deep, thick chords and part layering, with subtle changes, but I think I'm the only one.

But thanks for the encouragement, guys. You probably still won't ever see WIP #2 of this, but I still appreciate the listens.

The rest of the original piece doesn't really... fit, to me.

Isn't the whole point to make it fit you? I've never heard another song of yours so I don't know what your style is, but so what if you have to change them music dramatically to make it to your liking? Do so! Cut part, change melodies, change timings, go crazy. If listening to hundreds of remixes of this song has taught me one thing, it's that you don't have to remix a song you like, you have to like the remix.

My thinking is that the main part is the only one that is obviously your style.

But I could be wrong. It happened one time around Thanks Giving.

BTW: I never heard the original to this song, just numerous numerous remixes. Thanks.