OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

*2011 edit* Oh hi, old studio, I forgot all about you!

Love, BGC

(A more updated version of the BGC music cave is here)

well, it's 2008 now. but whatever.

the wallpaper was there when we got the house. i'm far too lazy to change it. now, or ever. audix likes it, anyway.

full-800x600.jpg

closeup-800x600.jpg

Edited by big giant circles

over 7 months since the last post... I think it's time for a 2008 cribs thread.

Interesting set up, but your monitor placement is vacuous. What is the rack-mount device underneath the portable recorder?

then let's start an '08 one. i nominate you :)

well, a new computer is next on my list of improvements, but until then, i'm stuck with my crappy 17" iMac. if i place it any farther back, it strains my eyes.

the rack mount device is a Tascam US-1641 interface. I've only had it for a little over a month, but I'd like to sell it and get an Alesis IO/26.

The US-1641 runs $400, but I'd part with it for about half that if anyone's interested...

I'd start a new thread but I have no (2008) content to immediately contribute; I do find that a inconsiderate way to start threads :)

I may have failed to communicate, I was talking about your monitor speakers, not your computer display. It seems like they'd be laterally parallel with your head when you're at your computer.

cheers.

BGC, how are you liking Kore 2? Its something that interests me quite a bit, since the academic version is close to my price range :-). Do you find you can make a sound from the soundbank sound a lot different than it originally did just by tweaking shiz? I don't like the idea of soundbanks, but if you can change the original sound sufficiently i think i could live with it. The search function looks sexilicious.

Nice set up btw, BX5s/BX8s are amazing, even if they are in wonky spots ;-)

BGC, how are you liking Kore 2? Its something that interests me quite a bit, since the academic version is close to my price range :-). Do you find you can make a sound from the soundbank sound a lot different than it originally did just by tweaking shiz? I don't like the idea of soundbanks, but if you can change the original sound sufficiently i think i could live with it. The search function looks sexilicious.

I recently got Kore 2. BIG WARNING: If you plan on using plugins that don't load patches on their own (i.e. they rely on the host interface to load patches for them, in fxp or fxb format), Kore WILL NOT let you load them, and those plugins are basically useless other than whatever default presets the plugins might have unless you program all the sounds yourself. I've also asked NI directly and they have no intention of adding this functionality anytime soon.

That said, I'm quite happy with it. I can live with the plugin patch loading problem since I only have one plugin that doesn't load any presets within its own interface (and it's a smaller one, so the author is considering adding that functionality because I mentioned the incompatibility with Kore). I don't really do a lot of sound tweaking; I mainly got Kore so I could have an easy way to organize the sounds I'd use in a live performance situation and for the searching features.

Soundbanks really haven't been an issue to me. I've been using them solely as a way of indicating where the sound came from. There's nothing forcing you to do this though; you could put everything in one soundbank if you wanted and essentially ignore the idea of soundbanks altogether. I find it helpful to have some organization. Searching is also done across soundbanks, so I haven't felt limited in any way.

Yay for FL and dBlue Glitch! Looks like my computer screen 50% of the time.

/me high fives Dain

Nice set up btw, BX5s/BX8s are amazing, even if they are in wonky spots ;-)

Kore 2 is AWESOME. Only drawback is that I never get anything done. I spend too much time playing with all the banks--especially since I got Komplete 5 recently. Also, I just downloaded the updates from NI service center last night, and I'm not sure exactly what it did, but it seems to have organized/integrated all the sounds from the NI plugins themselves directly into the Kore engine, which means I don't think I have to specifically load the plugins into Kore to get their sounds now. It's HAWT.

As far as the BX monitors go, I was torn between them and the new EX66's, which are supposed to be uber elite. However, since I already dig the way the BX8A's sounded, I figured I'd just save the money and settle for them :)

Unfortunately, my right one has already gone bad, so I called M-Audio about it, and they were super cool. They're sending a new pair right away, Fed-Ex 3-day with no shipping, and a tag to send this pair back for free. Good service! I really like M-Audio's stuff, and I'm happy that they did not disappoint with their response to my situation. :)

Kore 2 is AWESOME. Only drawback is that I never get anything done. I spend too much time playing with all the banks--especially since I got Komplete 5 recently. Also, I just downloaded the updates from NI service center last night, and I'm not sure exactly what it did, but it seems to have organized/integrated all the sounds from the NI plugins themselves directly into the Kore engine, which means I don't think I have to specifically load the plugins into Kore to get their sounds now. It's HAWT.

As far as the BX monitors go, I was torn between them and the new EX66's, which are supposed to be uber elite. However, since I already dig the way the BX8A's sounded, I figured I'd just save the money and settle for them :)

Unfortunately, my right one has already gone bad, so I called M-Audio about it, and they were super cool. They're sending a new pair right away, Fed-Ex 3-day with no shipping, and a tag to send this pair back for free. Good service! I really like M-Audio's stuff, and I'm happy that they did not disappoint with their response to my situation. :)

So.... Would someone who spends hours tweaking an initial patch of a synth or tweaking the shit out of a weird sample find Kore 2 worthy?

And I totally thought those were the bx5s, I guess I have a different kind of BX8s.

So.... Would someone who spends hours tweaking an initial patch of a synth or tweaking the shit out of a weird sample find Kore 2 worthy?

And I totally thought those were the bx5s, I guess I have a different kind of BX8s.

Yes. That is totally the point of Kore :) It just gives you more to tweak right off the bat, as well as a super tweakable interface.

Also, The BX "deluxe" series just came out, and they're (as far as I can tell) exactly the same with the exception that they're all black on black, and have a 1.5" tweeter vs a 1".

• 1 month later...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112574&l=66043&id=684275108

My studio, though the Virus was only temporary as it was just kinda too much money for me to spend at the time ($2000) so I got rid of it. That said, I did buy a kick mic and another overhead so I'll be able to track drums once I fix my mixer/get a new one (its emitting a ton of noise now).

*drools over the Nord Lead* I'd kill for one of those, or more ideally, the 88-key Nord Stage.

They're cheaper than you'd think. I got that one for $600, and that was including the case. Maybe I got lucky but still, not bad considering it was worth every penny. I have yet to use it too much in actual production but live that thing is invaluable.

*drools over the Nord Lead* I'd kill for one of those, or more ideally, the 88-key Nord Stage.
How'd you pull that off? Is it the original version instead of the Lead 2 or 2x? I've poked around eBay and a couple local music shops and haven't found any Nord keyboards for anywhere near that price.

Just a lead 2, but really the extra sample rate isn't quite essential and there's enough patches on the thing that you probably won't miss the extra ones either. It was just on eBay with the Buy it Now price being $600.

Nice find then. A Nord is on my list of "things to buy were I to be given an exorbitant amount of money" list, so I'm not in the market for one anytime soon, but I'll probably keep my eyes open to see if I can score a good deal like that.