OCR01780 - *YES* Tetris Attack 'Sound of the Dogfish'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: halcyon

Email: andrew@joename.com

Userid: 23301

Game arranged: Tetris Attack

Individual song(s): Lungefish's Stage, Poochie's Stage

Tetris Attack needed love so I made love to it. At 2:26 I am tributing Kirby because I love Kirby.

Enjoy-

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ta - "Sea Stage" (ta-24.spc) & "Forest Stage" (ta-16.spc)

Strings at :22 were pretty rough, and could use some touching up. Used :14 of the Sea source for :38 of the arrangement. Poochie's stage arrived at 1:33. Some off-notes at 2:13 & 2:20 where I think the resolution there should have been different; one of the theory Js can name the note that should have been there. Where have I heard those drums at 1:55 before? I'm thinking of a particular old school mix, maybe one of the IceCap ones. Nice Kirby cameo at 2:26 that later filled in the background until 2:56.

The synth design was somewhat bland, but there were definitely some creative effects being employed here nonetheless, and I generally liked the textures here. Could use some more beef here, but I'll live. This isn't Palpable's style, but it reminds me of "Twilight of Ivory" on some level as taking a somewhat minimalist approach to the textures, but still pulling off an effective, cohesive soundscape. Nice work, Andrew.

Meanwhile, the arrangement added tons of depth to the source tunes, with loads of embellishments and other wankery; very solid writing. It mostly focused on the Lungefish/Sea stage, but wove in the other two themes used here nicely. Gotta gonna go ahead and ride with a YES.

I was a little iffy with the way this piece was going, but then the congas came in and I was like "oh, hot." This is definitely a Tetris Attack mix though; it's got a very "cute" sound to it, that fits with a Panel de Pon game. Those pizz strings add a nice flavor to the texture. Very dynamic percussion. I like this a lot.

Very cool. YES

Interesting and quite simple use of instruments, works very well and gives the track a unique feel. This track is full of some fantastic creative effects. The panning, gating and filtering are all tastefully used. It really keeps the listener interested.

Nice adaption of the two sources. 2:13 and 2:20 did sound quite off in my ears, but they weren't wrong per say. I would've prefered a different resolution, like Larry said. Otherwise the arrangement is terrific, filled with details just like the production.

All in all, great ReMix. I'm especially impressed by how I never, for a single second, got bored with anything. I can listen to this tons of times and always find new elements I enjoy.

You deserve this,

YES

Great, cute arrangement. Love the texture here and how it's constantly morphing. Lots of tasteful effects to keep it interesting, and the sources are used in a wide variety of ways. I actually really liked the dissonant bits at 2:13 and 2:20. They seemed very intentional, a nice contrast to a highly melodic/harmonic track.

My only complaint is that the track could be beefier all around, but instead, it has a clean, sparse sound. In the end, I'm not bothered. The arrangement is plenty good.

YES