OCR00967 - *YES* Super Metroid 'Zebesian Midnight' *FT*

DarkCecil13

I had 2 listens of the new version. One on my DTT5.1 and one on my yamaha earphones. The earphone hearing sounded far worse, but the speaker listen sounded just fine.

I believe that the majority of people listening to this song wont mind this level of quality, and those that do will be offered an ogg vorbis or higher quality mp3 version if only they ask vigilante.

I still think this level of excellent arrangement deserves a YES

Superb arrangement, beautiful instrumentation, excellent execution. Very impressive from beginning to end. As much as I hate to say it, nine minutes is probably too much as the mix is already encoded at 96 kbs and it's still almost half a meg over the limit. Maybe shorten the length of the slower moving portions and cut short the drawn-out ending? Another problem is the clipping: it's so prominent that it can't be ignored.

I'm putting down a no for the time being until one of us gets back to you with these concerns; if we receive a clip-free mix under 6 megs, it gets my seal of approval.

UPDATE: The clipping is mostly gone, with just a mild amount on the squealing high notes of the wailing leads. The Xtreme™ encoding has resulted in a very low bit rate, but on mid-range speakers any difference in sound quality is barely noticeable. And even if it was, it wouldn't be important in this context. The fact of the matter is that this is a wonderful display of arrangement skill that has resulted in a Herculean nine minute long orchestral/jazz/groove take on the Kraid and Super Metroid themes, and does the oft-mixed Metroid series justice.

YES

yeah.. clipping problems, but given the length of the arrangement, mastering this properly is going to be a pain. Also, some off key notes here and there, like at 1:39 ... aarrgghh! Interpretation with the piano at ~4 minutes is suberb, but the rest of the interpretations are too close to the original or too close to the Minibosses. I like the Rammstein-ish bass in 5:40 though, heh.

no

but if clipping and wrong notes are fixed, then yes.

I first heard this about a week ago before it was on the panel (I believe) and back then, with the clipping and humongo encode, I had determined I'd give it a YES on the panel.

Nothing's changed now, except that there's no clipping. Hooray for that! So despite the lower encode (because this song, long as it is, isn't repetitive), I'm going to go with my initial instinct to give it a

YES

for many reasons.