OCR00967 - Super Metroid "Zebesian Midnight"

djpretzel

I would like to again give a big thanks to a fantastic mixer, a "shttyjudgefgt", and my good friend Ari Asulin for not only hosting, but encoding this mix and its 9 minute ogg counterpart. encoding a variable bitrate mp3 isnt easy, as you dont know how big it will end up, and we were kind of working under a strict 6 meg limit with a 7 minute song, so everybody give Prot a hand.

-Jesse

Any chance the 9-minute original will turn up as a bittorrent somewhere? This is one of my favorite songs on ocr and I'd love to hear the full, high-bitrate version.

probably not, but i'll tell you what i AM going to do

i'm going to sooner or later update the entire song, better patches, better recording, smoother edges, and i'm gonna trim the fat so i can include the segment that the OCR version is missing. shooting for early 2005.

^Holy shit yes. As with any Vigilante mix the highlight of the song is the guitar work and I am definitely loving it in this one. I can't wait to hear an improved version. So the song can sound as good as the arrangement and guitar playing is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
probably not, but i'll tell you what i AM going to do

i'm going to sooner or later update the entire song, better patches, better recording, smoother edges, and i'm gonna trim the fat so i can include the segment that the OCR version is missing. shooting for early 2005.

Wow, I'm more excited over then that then like.. Half-Life 2 or any of the other games that just came out :lol: Loved the song man.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow this is a great mix

its got all of the best songs from super metroid

usually transitions between different songs throw you off but its not like that at all in this song

i was impressed with how vigilante put together brinstar and kraids hideout

i love the changes he made to kraids hideout

he finishes off the song by gradually slowing down and adding some strings to make it all the more beautiful

the song clips a bit but its soft and soothing, one of the best metroid remixes out there, definatly worth the download

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This is in the top 5, of my favorice ocremix's list. It's just nice easy listening that I can't get sick of. It really takes the metroid theme in intersting ( and jazzy ) directions. I especialy love the kraids theme reinterpret.

All this being said, does anyone know where, or have the 9 minutes version mentioned on page one? I'd love to hear it. Or even better an original wave ( tho that may be asking a bit much ). To keep the forum clutter free, a PM will suffice.

• 6 months later...

I cannot express how absolutely much I love this remix. Most songs with a pleasant, relaxing tone don't leave me feeling pleasant or relaxed, but this one never fails to calm me down and make me at least crack half a smile.

When I'm having a hard time sleeping, it helps put me out.

When I'm ticked, it helps me think rationally.

A shrink could prescribe this song and cure a lot more patients a lot faster.

[/rant|rave]

Short version: Bloody awesome ReMix.

• 1 year later...

No doubt about it with a little jazz in there this is the most best song i have ever heard out of all my other metroid remixes and adding kraids lair just gets even better i recommond this song to alot of people cause i really think it runs into anybody who listens to it uve done well Vigilante well done superb!!!!!!!!!:-D

• 1 year later...

imo, the initial flute seems a little off, but that can be forgiven because this mix is epic. This mix is definitely something you want to have coffee over; one can almost even smell the beans roasting.

At least, until it gets sort of frantic. :<

Still, I love how the terrain changes throughout this mix.

In most mixes, new territory is fairly in your face, but the changes here are more subtle, more "look where you've came from" instead of "looking where you're going". Great work.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, if that mirror goes down I can host the extended version on Tindeck or something :-) Thanks for sharing Liz!

This is really a masterful track, the extended intro was a nice surprise and transitioned pretty well into the meat of the track. The guitar sounds a lot better than it did in some of Vig's earlier tracks, you can tell there was some real improvement on that front.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing I can just fall asleep to just because of how chill it is... at least, for the first few minutes of it. After it takes a more dramatic tone, I can't say it's really as enjoyable for me but I can't deny the musical prowess behind all parts of this song :-)

I dunno if I would consider this to be Vig's best work, as I still like the instrumental variety of Beneath the Surface better, but in terms of arrangement and just sheer epicness, this one wins out. Absolutely stellar work!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00967 - Super Metroid "Zebesian Midnight"