OCR00968 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Welcome to the Metropolis"

djpretzel

Definately one of my favourite remixes on this site. The original song had plenty to work with and S|r Nuts pulls it all off really well (IMO). I don't have any grudges at all against any part of this song and it doesn't get repetitive which is usually the biggest issue in any song. I hope I can hear more from this guy. There's a real split in opinions here: you either love this song or you don't, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

8) Hi I must Be honnest, ive heard a lot or remixes on this site and i think this is in my top 5.

The dynamics and adventure this remix offers are unique. The drums and the base are "Solid", I love the pan effects and the melody is enhanced from the original but still obvious where the song was originated from.

Not Bad for 6 hours work. :D 10/ 10

• 3 weeks later...

It's songs like this that only come around once in awhile. They may not be the most technically astounding (To me it is:), but the help remixers just starting out to see what one day could be. And the fact that all this was done in a week, when it takes me five times that amount just to figure out what I want to do with the melody. The effects and chopping are truly impressive, and the overall feel of this song compared to the original is very different (which in my opinion, is what a remix is supposed to do). What can I say, 10/10. Very good.

• 7 months later...

This really brings me back.

Makes me remember whatchting my big brother playing the sonic games, it was wonerfull just whatching.

(I still can't beat metropolis zone, it's sad, really xD)

It sticks to the original game's beat and general idea- but it makes it so much better.

The 'uh!'s are a little cheesey, but only when you only listen to them. They really add to the mix when you listen to the mix a whole, not parts. I think they make the mix sound better, but that is just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Weeeeeeeee! this is fun! I've got this on my mp3 player at the moment (i'm in college and they don't let you download stuff)

There's so much energy in this, its unbelievable! the bit at 1:00 where it jumps between headphones is great! makes me turn my head to follow the music without thinking! great mix, definitly a keeper!

• 4 months later...

OMG This is one of the best mixes EVER! This

mix is the reason i got into OCR.

I actually found this track by mistake. I was looking

on Media Guide (I know, what was i thinking?) for

"Sonic the hedgehog" as a joke (soz) and found this.

Best Mix Ever. Thank you S|r NutS, you got me into

OCRemixing.

Oh, and any day now, I'll be submitting my first Mix:

I won't tell you what it is, coz you'll nick the idea

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

This song is fantastic. I'm not sure how anyone can get annoyed by these sounds and then like half the overdone ReMix's out there; these sound great... the song honestly reminds me of the first time I saw a city at night as a kid. Flashing lights everywhere, cars shooting by, trucks veering down the road, and so much... stuff. This mix captures that overwhelming feeling while sounding sort of "clean"... the high-pitched sounds remind me less of a heavy underground and more of the shiny richness of a big city.

Although the "UH!" noises sound out of place : /.

Overall, the deliberate low beats and the perky, "look at that! And that!" mental camera panning of the high noises rocks and just feels like a Metropolis.

• 2 years later...

Definately sounds like someone went crazy with presets, but crazy in a good way. All the audio twists and tweaks give the sounds, and the melody itself, tremendous life. I really don't have a problem with the sample quality; I think this would be an entirely different mix if the samples were of the highest quality, which isn't exactly to say it would be better off.

I also liked the various panning ideas, although I couldn't help but catch a slew of timing errors. But they are only noticeable to me when I want to notice them.

Great use of energetic arrangement; something we don't see quite enough of here. This mix can be accused of lot of things, but failing to supply fun, energy and nostalgia is not one of them. I always have a great time listening to this.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00968 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Welcome to the Metropolis"