Dino Run 'Volcano Theme'

Audiocolor

Sup all. Long time OCer, first time poster.

OK, I don't know if this has been done before or allowed for submission, but me and my buddy decided to do a cover/remix of the Flash game Dino Run (Original music performed by Mark DeNardo). The song is the one you hear during the last two levels. We both decided we wanted it to be close sounding, but with our own flavor.

Here is a link to the Original (Microphone to the speaker) version. Sound quality is crap but it works if you have never heard it before.

Then the link to our version. Its just about done, but we are dying to know what you guys all think.

When working on this I really wanted to try and create a visual with the sound FX, going along with what happens in the game. So if you don't get it, then I guess you just have to play it:)

Feedback would rule!

I'm not as optimistic as Therapsid, but the track does have potential. The guitars and sharp synths could use some more variation in overall tone and sound, and the drums need a bit more processing imo. It also feels a little lacking in the high range, but that's nothing a few levels change and some subtle master EQing won't fix.

Dunno whether Dino Run qualifies as a remixable source or not, but it's certainly worth submitting once you guys feel you've gotten enough feedback and done enough fixes. The track doesn't need a full overhaul, just some fixes, it's pretty good. But it could still be better.

The intro guitar could use some some more weight behind it, it feels weak compared to the rest. After a minute, it gets cluttered, you should EQ the tracks to not get in each others' way. You may have to revise some of the tracks to make sure they're not spoiling each others' rhythm too.

The reverse effects seem a little sudden, you might want to find a sample that has a longer release (when played normally).

Those things stand out, bothering me. It's an interesting track, so keep at it.

Thank you Roso for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I did another revision today and fixed a few things. Here it is http://www.mediafire.com/?gm3uyd99ojx

I understand your point about the guitar and I added a Harmony/Echo part for it, sounds more full and I kind of like it:)

For the Main synth line, I decided to cut it out when the Saw riff comes in instead of overlapping, I always thought it should be like that, just like the original.

As for the EQ, I adjusted it a tad more. But honestly it sounds fine to me, everything appears balanced, if I really tryed to push it on the tracks I'm thinking it would sound funny. Also did some panning effects.

A lot of this song is meant to be full sounding, lots going on / chaotic. But after we first put it together it ending up being to organized^_^ especially the end, that's why I can see if it can be easily get noisy. Thanks again

The changes you've done make it far less cluttered. I do wonder if you've got EQs on the tracks or the master. Dunno what DAW you're using.

Intro guitar still feels a little too weak imo, but it's hard to say what you could do about it. The echo does reduce some of that weakness.

The kick drum could use a shorter/lower release, sustain, or decay, depending on what the settings currently are. That would prevent it from hogging the bass range for too long. You could EQ the bass to have less really low bass so it doesn't overlap the kick too much. you could drop a low shelf with 2-4 dB from around 150Hz (shelf means all frequencies below the set frequency are cut, not just a the frequencie around the set frequency). In simple terms, just cut the bass where the drum is, should be somewhere in the 50-150 Hz range.

The saws feel a bit too loud, and the guitars not loud enough. Consider automatic the saw's filter cutoff, dropping it would make the bass less sharp, which would be a tool for varying this more. Panning works well, tho, and the synth in the end is very fitting for the track.

Can't remember and am too lazy to check: how close is it to source?

Here is the original again http://www.mediafire.com/?rljghtudkrx

I use Cubase. I have been EQing the tracks not the master. The drums have a LOT of processing through it, I'll check it out:).

The guitar is meant to sound weak at the beginning, then being complimented towards the end. Its very simple on the original.

There is no bass track, the synth works as the bass, one of the reasons I like it loud. I have the Midlows and Mids raised on that.

First off, good source. I freaking love that game.

Things I noticed:

1. The guitars need a bit of fattening up. The best example is from 0:53-1:30 or so. If you want to make it sound more chaotic, get that bitch fuzzy and loud. The lead could also use a bit of touching up, or maybe just more volume.

2. I like the synths, especially the last one.

3. The drums need more variety. Maybe during the breakdown you could ad in some crazy break, like an Amen or something (only please don't add in an Amen). The percussion is nice but its not adding enough. Your cymbals are also buried under everything, wouldn't hurt to add a bit of high end.

hehe thank you Vagrance,

The part at the end isn't synth, its guitar. My buddy is good with effects like that.

I'm was thinking of putting another drum part in, especially during the mid part. Will be thinking about that.

Ya I love that game too, one of the most addictive flash games out there.

Here's a link for any of you who haven't played it ^_^

OK, again another update.

I completely redid the drums from scratch, changed a few parts and added some. Think it sounds a lot neater and not as repetitive. Link Here

As for the guitar I decided to toss some chorus on it, and to me it feels a bit more "in your face". I think it works out.

Well with all the changes I made I think thats the best I can do without completely falling off the songs origin. Though if you guys have any minor adjustment ideas I'm all ears.

At some point I'll put it up for submission, see how it works out. If it doesn't pass, ohh well. At least we got like 50+ downloads by you fine peeps.:<

Your crashes are too weak. The bass-rich kick probably clog the frequency range a bit. Cut its really lows (under 50Hz), and drop some of the other lows. That should make it possible to raise the overall volume more, too, it seems to be a bit quiet (a multiband compressor can also help with that).

The saw could drop some volume, and the drums could lose _some_ bass. That should clean up the track further. My biggest issue with this atm is its thick lows. It's gonna feel weak at first, so I recommend EQ-ing it to something that looks reasonable, then dropping its levels and raising those until it sounds good. Whatever approach works for you is probably gonna sound fine anyway.

Once again, it's an improvement. Great stuff.