Soul Calibur IV

Wacky

I've always preferred SC to Tekken, simply because as improbable as the story is, it's infinitely better than Tekken's. I've also had a massive fanboy crush on Xianghua which has been running almost as long as my fanboy crush on Yuna, but I digress.

Soul Cal IV, I fear, is making the massive mistake that Tekken did in including a bajillion main characters. It gets seriously boring after a while when you notice that half the characters in Tekken have similar moves (Some are literally the same.) Sure there are minor differences in what Ms. Monteiro does compared to Eddy, but seriously, they both do Capoiera and both, in my hands, will be kick spamming (But chained Kick spamming! I learnt the combos!) until you're dead. Same for the entire Mishima family, and I'm not even going to go into the blatant rip offs of characters who are simply other characters for no reason (Marshall/Forrest Law, the Changs, the Williams sisters, and the female Kazamas, to name a few.)

Soul Cal used to do it right. If you wanted a Sophie style character, you got Cassandra, and Sophie wasn't in the game. The big guy with an axe was either Rock or Astaroth, not both. Siegfried wasn't there because Nightmare did what he did (Although Soul Cal III did an admirable job of changing their chains so they played differently.) And although Kilik and Seung Mina play nothing alike, you had one or the other because of the pole arms. I suppose it's easier to make different play styles when you're allowed to use weapons, but I sincerely hope the new characters are wild and crazy and still functional. Unlike Mardok. What a bloody loser. He doesn't even have an aussie accent.

I sincerely hope they didn't just throw in the Fan Service in Soul Cal IV just so everyone can "play their favourite character!" It was already hard enough to find your character in SC III, what with all the stupid bonus characters.

Also, I still reckon I can murder you all with Xianghua. She's like a monkey on crack.

I think the biggest mistake with Tekken is that it was uninteresting to begin with as opposed to Soul Calibur, but I digress. I can see what you mean, but there are bound to be certain types of moves here and there that are gonna coincide with another character's. I don't think this would be too big of a deal.

Also I'll take on the world with Cassandra.

button mashing is one of the best strategies in that game.

Similar thing happened when a newcomer joined my little circle of friends. I still whooped her with Link, but she whooped everyone else.

My maximum number of juggles with his Up-Vertical attack is four :grin: Usually I only get three. I need to pin someone in the corner of the cathedral someday and try to beat it.

The cathedral's music is epic, by the way. I'm known to pick favorite stages based solely on the tune in the background.

Truthfully, I think the main reason they're able to put in so many characters is because the game is on Next Gen systems, not the GCN or PS2, but the 360 and the PS3. Think about the tech, especially the capacity of the game discs themselves. I think that's mainly why you're getting so many characters. Think of all the data needed to render them.

Besides that, it's a great series, and if they're going to cap it off with Soul Caliber 4, then let them go all out.

If you think Sophitia and Cassandra are the same, you are making a big mistake. Because I can decimate just about anyone with Sophitia. Though Cassandra has many similar moves, they have some radical divergences--especially in where their effective moves are.

The "similar character" problem lies in the fact that for every set of weapons, there might be a several different fighting styles for them. Also, when someone loses a favorite character they get seriously pissed and may not buy the game as a result. I poured many hours into mastering Sophitia and would not appreciate having to switch to Cassandra. Cassandra just feels wrong when I play her, and I'd bet that most Cassandra players think the same of Sophitia.

As to too many characters, I thought that SCI and II got it right: have the extra characters simply be there, without any significant story. That way they could concentrate on the important characters. On the other hand, they could label some characters as "Legacy Characters", no longer part of the storyline, it is not hard to include an old character as most of the hard work has already been done to design them.

played the first soul calibur on DC for the first time a few weeks back and went 50-0 with random characters against a group of friends who play each other with some frequency

explain

Your friends forgot to know how to Eight Way Run, air control, and most importantly, block.

Also your new friend probably chose Maxi because he's the only character I know whom button mashing generally pulls of excellent combos. It sometimes looks like I'm button mashing if I use Taki or Xianghua, but that's because they need long chains of very fast moves to deal any significant damage.

You forgot the other Sophie clone, Lizardman!

I have to admit though you're arguement doesn't really work.

Sophitia appears in every Soul Calibur game. Even SC2 has both Cassandra and Sophie. (and Lizardman)

Both Sigfried and Nightmare are in SC1 and 3.

Both Astaroth and Rock are in all the games, they also play quite differently. (In SC2 Rock isn't in there but the berserker has his moveset)

Heck you could compare Talim and Cervantes too, even though their movesets differ drastically, their play-style is near the same.

and you can't really compare Kilik and Seung Mina. Kilik uses a bo staff, while Seung mina uses a more halberd like polearm.

--

Getting to the point, SCIV's cast seems pretty balanced even though they are bringing back some of the clones from SC3. I'm still a little upset that Li Long keeps getting the shaft for his clone Maxi. Seeing as this is supposedly the last game in the series it's a little disappointing that there hasn't been a complete and official reunion of the original Soul Blade cast.

What you should be complaining about is the shameless twinked out Star Wars plugs. I think we are all going to die from Star Wars overexposure before too long.

I'm confused, you say my argument doesn't really work but then site examples supporting it.

As to saying that I should be complaining about the Star Wars plug-ins, I agree. I'd have much preferred if they had chosen some plug-ins that have armaments more appropriate for Soul Calibur. I would have preferred if they used the plug-in model that they had used with Link. In that case, we would likely have been getting Kratos on the PS3 version and...I really need to pay more attention to the 360.

I think the biggest mistake with Tekken is that it was uninteresting to begin with as opposed to Soul Calibur, but I digress. I can see what you mean, but there are bound to be certain types of moves here and there that are gonna coincide with another character's. I don't think this would be too big of a deal.

Also I'll take on the world with Cassandra.

That is a major digression right there, because I still think Tekken is the one game that made the 3D fighting games interesting. Toshinden was standard fare, Virtua Fighter still has zero personality (though it still is the best fighting game series technically), and DOA was only getting started and didn't have the variety of Tekken.

button mashing is one of the best strategies in that game.

No.... Just no. Just about every Soul Calibur player worth his/her salt knows how to block and parry and 8-way-run all the time. That's why so many tournaments are drawn out blocking affairs and Namco is looking at ways to destroying excessive turtling blockers.

yeah besides nightmare is still going to be the best character anyway

You mean Xianghua, who was top tier for almost all the Soul games.

Personally, I love that they're adding more and more characters. I just don't buy the argument that they're thinning out the uniqueness when they're doing a good enough job. I think a lot of hardcore gamers have a point in that Namco never really listens to the hardcore fighting game community like Virtua Fighter developers do. But that's the only major knock IMO.

and you can't really compare Kilik and Seung Mina. Kilik uses a bo staff, while Seung mina uses a more halberd like polearm.

For most of the games, they had near identical movelists and they still fight similarly in the new ones. I think you chose a really ironic example for clone characters since I think they're the closest related.

I'm vicious on Soul Blade/ Soul Calibur 2..3...

I'm sure four would be the same. Anybody like Def Jam Fight for NY?

As far as SC goes, I will murder with Voldo, Ivy or Kilik. Tekken has just about the same engine. I like fighter games that play with directional multi-button moves. Infinite replay. On the sad note, I wish that you could have Vader and Yoda on one console. The Imperial troop is on Wii??

I have not played four, though. If I had that much spare money, I would rather buy a Keyboard than a next gen console, anyway. My real ambition is Metal Gear Solid 4. I saw Hideo Kojima's demonstration. I like the idea that, you can aim whichever way, while on your stomach or back in prone position. Looks cool, but I don't know about the auto-camo yet. It looked badass, but I heard somewhere that Kojima was not really happy with it?

I don't mind similar characters, as long as they are differentiated enough to be important. Sophie/Cass is a perfect example. Emphasis in certain areas (speed/strength, usually) make the characters more comfortable for different playing styles.

And nobody's giving any love for Soul Calibur Legends. Although, I could do great with Mitsurugi in SC II and III yet inexplicably suck with him in Legends. Hm.

Mitsurugi, Kilik, Nightmare. Yeah, bring it.

I find the new character designs silly and think the game has turned into Dead or Alive by adding that many female characters to the cast.

But they are not in the main cast. They're designed by guest designers. Female designs tends to dominate the manga scene nowadays so it only makes sense. Maybe they should have mandated a few male characters too.