OCR00981 - Delta "Space Grind"

F***in awesome. This beats out some of the stuff other, more experienced remixers put out. Funny thing people say that OCR's judging system "locks out" new people because of the high standards. But then songs like this come out and show you new people are still making it into OCR. Very very good mix. Hope to see more from Gustav.

This music has one of the best back-beats and melodies to it I've ever heard, but I think one of the problems is the overlaid whining sound, which plays almost entirely throughout. The only time when it's given a rest is at the end, and that's the part I like the most. It'd be great to hear this without so much overlay on an already-great remix.

Very catchy! Definitely could use some variation with the drums; melody is good though, keeps moving nicely. Gets especially nice at about 2:08, with the strings... string ensembles are hard to dislike ^_^

I'd suggest getting a hold of all different kinds of percussion - not just kicks, snares, hats, and cymbals, but also bass drums, timpanis, congos, bongos, tambourines, marimbas. That's what we had in my junior high band, so I don't think they should be difficult to find. It's a lot easier to get variation in your beat when you have more instruments.

EDIT: I guess I should always make a point of checking songs out on headphones too. Wearing them, the drums are a lot more interesting, as the different percussion instruments dart from one speaker to the other, but not so harshly as to bother the ear. In this way, the beat does move around enough to be interesting, but I'd still suggest some variation from its pattern for listening through speakers.

Reminds me of 70's prog but with a modern beat. I'm a sucker for analog stuff- and the moog-ish lead synth just made my day. Great ambient effects used throughout

Beat felt perhaps a little repetitive- but this is still a really groovy mix. 8)

Can someone tell me what "moog" is?

This is just awesome. Congratulations on a great mix, and nice job on picking good source material from a game I've never even heard of :)

My only slight gripe is that I coulda used a little more bass. Like on the kick drum and the bass line. Something to make my speakers thump a little, y'know? :P

Anyway, this is wonderful work. Thanks for sharing it.

Fray.

Hey, glad you posted it Gustav! I told you this was a sure win, and it's great to see your stuff getting play beyond KWED. Looks like more people will be turning onto your work now, which is a good thing. I haven't gotten tired of this since the original download back when. :D

Great job, and keep mixing!

HDS

Yay! A delta mix on OC! The first listen, I wasn't sure about the drums, but once the whole thing was over I didn't seem to care anymore. The solo during the last half is like djp on crack! It's like it sounds like your average solo most of the time, but then parts come which sound like it would be part of the original song. Great listening.

An OK remix, of an apparently excellent song. You know, for it being in techno-ish vibes, it's actually very melodicish... You know what it reminds me of sort of? Rise of the Triad. ..with rtype.

Odd, yes, but some of the harmonic shiftings that this thing does I've heard there. Nice all over, though... you know, it'd have been nice if it used a little more variation on those drums, though they're OK.

It's an interesting drum beat, sure, but now that I listen to it more, you could've really used some variation on it. Other than that vague suggestion, it's neat, but I wouldn't keep it around for long.

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I listened, it was saying "generic techno." However, after a few repeats, it really grew on me. As a jazz artist, I really love the solos toward the end. This is some seriously good stuff here folks. Like, you should be hearing this on a dancefloor. Don't hesitate to DL this one. You should love it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome take on the original. I always loved Rob Hubbard's stuff, and as much as I love Dodo's rendition of Sanxion, I wish someone would make a cover of Sanxion of this caliber. I personally love the lead, the lead and bassline are very reminiscent of the old C64 SID chip with the very whiny (or the bassline's warbly) sound, while still sounding modern through updated sound.

I would have to say this is probably one of my top 10 favorite OC remixes. A song like this inspired me to seek out Rob Hubbard's other music, it was that good. I thought the backbeat was interesting but a bit repetetive, but the backbeat only. I really can't see how people claim this song is repetitive, it plays through the entire song exactly ONCE (the original song) which ends at 2:19.

The original section at 2:45 is probably one of the best solos I've ever heard in a remix. When I first heard it in this remix, I was like "Man this second part is awesome!" and when I came back to the original, my secondary reaction was "Dear god! A minute and a half of straight original material! This is even MORE awesome!"

Surely the bassline and backbeat get a bit repetetive if you focus on them, but I've always been a melody man myself... and you cover a song from the C64 (by one of the most well known C64 composers of all time) which is already all about the melody, then you've got me. I really hope sometime in the future I hear more from Gustav Taxen, amazing stuff. Sanxion is still dying for a proper remix by the way. :wink:

• 3 years later...

This really needs a new review, especially because it's very good. I've been going through the OC Remix torrent files, and this remix compelled me to write a glowing review.

I'm on my 3rd listen in a row, and it keeps getting better. I like the moody intro and the slow transition into the rest of the remix from 0:17 to 0:44. As already mentioned, at 2:45 the remix gets simply glorious. If you're reading this review . . . Download. The. Remix. Now. Then listen, and be happy.

• 1 year later...

Very ambient intro had me wondering what would be in store for this one, but once that beat came in, I knew it was going to be something exciting. The bass sound was a bit jarring and synthy, but it worked decently enough.

The loop got a bit old after awhile though, and was a bit overly present, but the lead synth kept things interesting throughout. Nice soloing, I liked that part. It would have had a bit more punch to it is the loop hadn't grown stale. Some percussive interplay would have been nice with the various solo ideas.

Overall this is a decent mix with a great solo, but some cut corners that really detract from the mix. Check it out though, it's worth the download.

• 2 years later...

The vast and cold reaches of space - the cold of Jupiter's million degree magnetic belt. Million degrees doesn't feel so hot when it's so thin you can't easily distinguish it from vacuum.

But there's something there. Something drifting, but alive, thinking, communicating.

We close in and see its insides, a miniature city bustling with life, a million complex decisions each second, urgent, fateful, each made on the backdrop of the same mechanical heartbeat.

We pass it and lose it for a moment as we slew our scope around to watch it as it recedes. As we lose the signal, we shift our attention elsewhere.

~~~~

I used to be an author on the short-lived Infinity On 30 Credits a Day collaborative webcomic project, and once I heard this I immediately linked the two. This is Dazer and Jake weaving the Infinity through the race's hazards and past their opponents. This is a high-energy plasma torch rocket making carefully planned but eventually improvised maneuvers, with a specific goal in mind but basically for the sheer joy of doing it.

~~~~

Some above have complained about the repetitive background. I just factor it out, let it set the mood, and focus on what's changing. The multiple time-scales of the tune, the slower synth background, the ambient space sounds, and the beat mesh perfectly for me.

The flipping out section just seals the deal.

• 2 years later...

This is an excellent source tune. I love the rock rendition done by Axes Denied, and it's fun to find another take here.

On to the arrangement itself: intro is sweet, the main lead is decent, there are some very nice touches and additions to the soundscape here and there. The point where the lead starts playing triplet-style, with the added stereo synth wash was a cool thing to build up. I liked the "strange synth percs" breakdown after it. And the synth solo at the end was a good way to wrap things up.

I just wish the beat wasn't do damned loud in the mix, it's covering up everything else. But overall, the piece is quite fun to listen to, and it builds up towards the finale in a way that's worth learning from!

--Eino

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00981 - Delta "Space Grind"
  • 4 years later...