OCR01854 - *YES* Rygar 'Don't Mess with Rygar'

Liontamer

Musicalman

arranged, performed, recorded, mixed by Pascal Lamarche

info@pascallamarche.com

game: Rygar

title: Don't Mess with Rygar

Ok, this one's very special...on the edge for time 2:01 (i think OC ask at least 2 minutes of music), but the original track in Rygar is a loop of 18 seconds....LOL

BUT I WAS REALLY INSPIRED ABOUT IT!

The whole idea, that i had at the first place, was to keep the melody and the structure as pure as the original...

I wanted to make an orchestral arrangement as GRIEG (IN THE HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING)

Hope you'll have an open mind for this one...

Honestly, i really think that this arrangement's really interesting.

CHEERS OC!

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9235 - Track 10

Source kicked in at :15 and I was liking it overall. The woodwind at :28 sounded a lil' unrealistic, but not a big deal. Enjoyed the mallet percussion from 1:05-1:15; cute.

The higher bowed strings first brought in at :54 sounded too dry and exposed. As the arrangement ramped up (1:26), the dryness of the strings and brass tended to pull down the track. There might have been some clipping with the swell at 1:34; definitely some distortion.

If you could touch up those issues with a little more depth to the sounds and fixing that rough spot at 1:34, this would be solid. The arrangement was a great example of taking a short melody and capably getting a lot out of it through several creative variations with a good use of instrumental variation as well as dynamic contrast. It's not Shnabubula's Guardian Legend mix "Red Spiders", but it holds its own on that level. Definitely tweak this up.

YES (conditional)

Disappointing that this only lasted two minutes because the concept is so good, but it's quite coherent and varied for that time. The Grieg inspiration is apparent and the way this builds is pretty much masterful. I was grinning at 1:26 because I never thought the song would ramp up so much.

I'd love to see more reverb used to fill out this mildly sparse song if you're willing to go back to it, but it's not a necessity for me.

YES

I did NOT see this one coming after listening to the source :3

Very interesting concept. Great sounds all around too. I love how dynamic this piece is, it starts out tiny and grows into this huge hectic orchestra. I think you could've used some EQ to really make some of the instruments stick out more. I don't think it's too dry, it could have some reverb but I don't think it hurts it not to. You should put a limiter on the master though. Just to keep it from clipping, don't squash it :)

While the arrangement is about 1:54 long I don't see a problem with it. You really came through here, especially with such a short source. Fix the clipping and maybe fiddle around with the instruments a bit to make them fuller (like Larry also suggested) this'll be a no-brainer.

Good jorb there Pascal!

YES(conditional, mainly on clipping)

• 1 month later...

Haha, this is one of the most awesome arrangements I've had the good pleasure of judging. The way it playfully speeds up and bounces around so cheekily. Starts very cautiously but immediately the staccato fever takes over, this is about as enjoyable as an orchestration can be and the production is more the strong enough to convey it.

The only notable issue has already been brought up and conditioned already, and I really have nothing further to add in terms of criticism, so

YES

• 2 weeks later...

wow

like others have said, i had no idea this was gonna get up and obliterate me the way that it eventually did. this is a very fine take on the source, it has a great deal of dynamic and energy to it... it speeds up, builds into a frenzy, is complex through-out, interpretive, sounds great in the soundfield and all in all is creative as hell. but its soooo short :( its killing me... such a tease, you are, sir. fishy said it best... it bounces cheekily and the staccato is FEVERISH. i can feel my own temperature heatin up haha

short, yes but this is a brilliant couple of minutes and a sure thing for any rygar fan.

no question about it:

YES