Liontamer

Nutritious

Justin Medford

NutritiousMultimedia@gmail.com

http://nutritiousmultimedia.googlepages.com

Final Fantasy IV

Red Wings, Main Theme

This song is part of the FFIV Project.

This is actually the first song that I created using my new Orchestral setup (EWQLSO). It originally started out with my free samples/soundfont setup, but I upgraded halfway through and ended up starting this from scratch. It wasn't my original intent to move from Red Wings to the FFIV Main Theme, but it seemed to be a nice progression during the quieter sections of the piece (there's a bit of me playing the flute for the first round of the Main Theme). I also touch on FF7 Anxious Heart on the intro a bit to create some tension, with a couple other really small allusions to other songs as well.

This song has been a blast to create since the FF4 soundtrack is one of my favorites and played a big role in getting me into music in general. The Red Wings theme at the beginning of the game has stuck with me in particular, so I'm glad to have a chance to remix it. Enjoy.

-Justin

------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff4 - "Red Wings" (ff4-02.spc) & "Main Theme" (ff4-07.spc)

Nice intro, including a cameo of the Prelude. Good accenting of the Red Wings melody with the supporting writing.

The string articulations from 1:19-1:21 sounded unnatural, but it was covered up reasonably enough. Wish the drums had a bit more presence, as they had a good sound.

The dropoff at 1:54 felt awkward, and the brass was more exposed until 2:15. Nice woodwind stuff at 2:15 moving over to the "Main Theme". From that point on, the samples had some more noticeable & persistent articulation issues (worst offender, 3:20). But they weren't major to me and the overall execution was reasonable, bolstered by a strong, creative arrangement. Once Justin refines the articulations of his sounds, his work will sound that much stronger.

The was a pop in the left channel at 3:32 that needs to be fixed. The resolution at 4:28 also sounded unintentionally meandering; it kind of lost sense of the "Main Theme" melody and didn't end strongly. Aside from that, pretty smooth sailing. Keep improving, bro.

YES

Great source tunes. Red Wings is major kick-ass and I hate you for claiming it before I had the chance.

Very nice intro indeed. Transitions well into the Red Wings theme. Drums sit a bit in the back (and left) and could be a bit more upfront to add some additional movement to this strong mix of themes. Otherwise the arrangement is both smart, dynamic and creative. Nothing bothered me about 1:19 and I enjoyed the ending except for maybe the final chord ;P

Production-wise it all clicks. The samples are well handled for the most part. Could probably be pushed up another notch to sound really fantastic but it's definitely good enough. Didn't hear the pop Larry was talking about at 3:23 but that's mainly because he meant 3:32, and yeah that should be fix'd.

Overall, neat-o, go team, blast-off!

YES

I'd have liked to see a little more variation melodically, but structurally and harmonically, there was a lot going on here. I thought you gave these songs the sense of grandeur Uematsu was probably shooting for in the first place. I love the triplet strings entering at 3:55, closing out the piece with energy. The ending is a little strange - sounds as if it needs one more chord. It's an interesting touch.

I think Larry and Mattias have given you some stuff to chew on for improvement with your production. I don't have much to add there. This passes the bar.

YES