OCR01834 - *YES* Sins of a Solar Empire 'Spreading the Culture'

Liontamer

Game: Sins of a Solar Empire

Pieces Remixed: The Return/Emerging Empire.

Source URL:

(My net is shaped so I cut the file size down and shortened the track to focus on the parts I remixed)

Title: Spread Dat Culture

For this one I took the main string melody from The Return to shape the majority of the song. The rhodes mainly focus on this, with the rest of the instruments built around it. Changed the key to C Minor. I also incorporated some parts of the Emerging Empire into the melody. It's a short piece, but I was happy where it ended and didn't want to extend it any further for fear of diluting the effects.

~TO

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Lee of course for hooking up some clips of the source tunes. Time to bust out the stopwatch.

Sins of a Solar Empire Original Soundtrack - (22) "The Return" & (17) "The Emerging Empire"

Loved the production and execution the whole way, so I'm just left making sure the source usage passes the sniff test. This needed more than 91.5 seconds of source usage for >50% and my YES.

"The Return": :11-:25, :38-:43, :50-1:09, 1:50-1:52, 2:12-2:29; also used very quietly throughout :25-:50

"The Emerging Empire": 1:24-1:27, 1:34-1:42, 1:44-1:47, 2:32-2:40, 2:42-2:49; also used very quietly from 2:03-2:05

That's about as best as I can pick it up, which is about 86 seconds of overt stuff and 22 seconds of extremely quiet usage. For me, that's enough to call it barely over the line. I could be missing some connections, but it's a moot point for me.

YES

Awesome synth-funk adaptation, Lee. Every layer to this sounds like a hook - my focus constantly shifts between all the different catchy bits. Reminded me a little of djp's "Fortuna Favors the Funk" but darker and moodier.

That string motif runs through most of the song quietly, and a lot of times overtly. Plus, melody connections - I didn't have a hard time hearing the source in this.

YES, indeed

I really enjoyed the adaptation of the return's hook for a funktastic rhodes hook--creative, but retains obvious connection to the original (:50, 2:12). The underlying synth work is nice, it's really great when an artist can use a melodic instrument to actually assist the drums in not only maintaining, but furthering the effectiveness of the groove, and the dirty, sweeping synth as well as the short percussive one both do that throughout. As far as I can tell, emerging empire wasn't used as much, mostly some of the backing was drawn from/inspired by that one. Seems the return is definitely the primary focus here.

Great production, everything is clean, and there's never any clutter. Nice choice of instrumentation too. I bet Dave will like this one.

YES