Going to San Francisco

Guy In Rubber Suit

So I'm going to San Francisco with my girlfriend because Ensiferum, Belphegor, The Absence and Amon Amarth have all decided to skip out on Phoenix. She wanted to go to and San Fran seemed like the best bet since neither of us have been there. We're going to be there for a week, during the last few days of September and the first week of October.

So besides the usual tourist trap sight seeing, is there anything underground I should look out for? We're gonna go to Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, and she wants to see a drag show. I'd like to avoid as much tourist traps as possible and get away from shopping and such. We'll more than likely visit some museums and such. What good shit is there to do that is not well known?

My wife and I took a trip there last summer, and we really didn't know what to do so we just pretty much wandered around. We went to Japan Town for a while, Fisherman's Wharf, Japanese Tea Gardens, Ashbury Haight, Alcatraz (plan to use up about 3 hours there), and general goofing off around Downtown. If you've never been to a Chinatown, then that's another place you can go to but honestly once you've seen one and aren't really interested in Chinese food or trinkets, then it's IMO it's not that great.

Sorry though, I don't know too much about underground places in San Fran though.

Bring a good jacket. SF is cold.

I rented a bike and went 35 miles in 3 hours just to get to Muir Woods. Then I spent 1 hour there before I had to go back another 35 miles in another 3 hours to return the bike before the shop closed for the day. I'm not sure it was worth it. You should see Sausalito though, it's a very pretty little town.

Bring a good jacket. SF is cold.

I rented a bike and went 35 miles in 3 hours just to get to Muir Woods. Then I spent 1 hour there before I had to go back another 35 miles in another 3 hours to return the bike before the shop closed for the day. I'm not sure it was worth it. You should see Sausalito though, it's a very pretty little town.

Could I take a bus or something there? Or a cab or whatever? We plan on not renting a car since the public transportation is supposed to be real good and finding a parking space is ridiculous and expensive.

Castro District

What's to do there?

Oh yeah any good restaurant recommendations would be great as well. Any kind of food is fine. We're open to pretty much anything.

Could I take a bus or something there? Or a cab or whatever? We plan on not renting a car since the public transportation is supposed to be real good and finding a parking space is ridiculous and expensive.

From what I remember, yes, the public transportation is good, but it doesn't cross the Golden Gate bridge. There are busses on the north side as well, though, but you have to get across the bridge somehow. Oh, but you could go by ferry.