OCR00988 - Chrono Trigger "The Incredible Singing Robot"

• 1 month later...

I remember the first time I listened to this I thoroughly danced in my seat. That alone makes this a legacy mix for me. And it's no wonder...

Metal/tin-like percussion is punctuated by drawn-out cymbals/hi-hats - this fires up my imagination with lots of shiny, golden imagery (like Robo's figure :P). Fluffy air drums, rubbery punctuators, and 8-bit crunchiness only add to the contagious flood of energy. Best of all, that swishy/watery modulated voice is clear and expressive throughout.

Lyrics are a treat. Robo's vulnerability and uncertainty are expressed via "Please don't reprogram me / My memories and thoughts are all I have left; am I malfunctioning?" Love the hilarious "take that" with "Won't you pick me instead of that (F)rog?" And I can FEEL his selflessness and extent of accomplishments with "just look and see this forest I made for you" - I picture him spreading his robotic arms in a visual encompassment, in turn making me awestruck with his 400-year-long dedication. Whew.

The eponymous singing robot says his kind can be "for evil or good" - I say they're best at getting one's groove on. Rock on, R-66Y. Rock on.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00988 - Chrono Trigger "The Incredible Singing Robot"