OCR00328 - Radical Dreamers "Grainy"

Saunders

Radical Dreamers 'Grainy'

Hmm, sort of eerie intro. String filled and then.. what's that? Did someone turn the radio to a bad station? Well this mix holds true to the name "Grainy." A sort of spooky, eerie quality in the first half, the mix reminds of the kind of tunes you hear in games when you and your party are exploring some ancient civilizations ruins or some such thing.

Drums and such kick in around the middle, and it really loses the eerie quality it had. I'm not too fond of this part actually, I suppose this is the part of the mix that really holds true to it's name, the samples all have a sort of staticy sound to them, I'm not overly fond of this, but it was mutagene's desired effect I'm sure, so I won't harp on it.

Anyways, that's all. I spoke too much on this mix anyways. :P

Check it out, along with the rest of the Far Promise flood of Apr 21st. Collect the whole set!

• 7 months later...

Okay, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reply to a review this old, but I just had to give my input.

This is simply amazing. It gets you in a wonderful mood if you just listen and take it in. It gets you happy yet derranged and sad at the same time, all while being distant and content with everything. It's just beautiful.

• 1 year later...
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reply to a review this old, but I just had to give my input.

This is simply amazing. It gets you in a wonderful mood if you just listen and take it in. It gets you happy yet derranged and sad at the same time, all while being distant and content with everything. It's just beautiful.

More than a year and a half later, I have to come by and let Mutagene know this is great stuff.

Sorry to revive such an old thread... but I really, really loved this re-mix.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Possibly the only mix of this song (out of the thousands) that would be even close to passable today, this is really creative stuff. While I disagree with a few choices made, mainly the clipping effect that runs for much of the song, and the synth used for the solo 2/3 through, this is colorful and unique work and deserves a listen.

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed listening to this. The beginning feels very 'underwater' to me, with the atmosphere and the use of the echoey synth.

About halfway through we start to groove, which is a little sudden, but sets up a good feel. The synth for the solo is a bit grating, not crazy about it. Nice solo though, good contrast to the melody.

Good work, worth a listen.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, the war torn static really sets this track into interesting context. Reminds me of something that might be played on the radios at Aperture Science labs. I was not expecting the beats when they came in at all; they really kill off that desolate post-apocalyptic mood that was set in the first half. I really, really like this as a concept piece and feel that it was well done, but ultimately I'll pass on having this one in my music collection.

• 2 years later...

I really loved Radical Dreamers and love to see remixes from it. Great intro. Reminds me of the beginning of Super Metroid - landing in the rain. The drums coming in halfway through seemed like perfect timing. And their subdued complexity seemed very fitting.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00328 - Radical Dreamers "Grainy"