OCR00999 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Savage Seduction"

djpretzel

Wow, very cool. And let me give you the honor of being the first person to add a Donkey Kong remix to my library. Admittedly, I have a very deep seeded prejudice against Donkey Kong, and although I've given every DK song on OCR a listen, it either wasn't very good or bothered me to the point where I didn't want to hear it.

But this is different. It still reminds me of Donkey Kong, but it doesn't remind me of all the reasons I hate the game (or any of its spinoffs).

So, special congrats for that. Aesthetically pleasing and wholly impressive.

I wouldnt say this to make anyone feel bad but this isnt repatative, I dont think the right amount of reverb's are being used for the drums though.

I like that part at 2:13, the melody, it sounds nice. .. then the comeback of the same melody later on in the song. and the whole drum thing at 3:30 but what was that? I expecter better of you, espically a electronica song. listening to it the third time across, my ears hurt form listening to that drum dude, I'm not fuckin kidding either. maybe a bit of eq'ing? and bringing up the bass might help.

It's good but I can't really figure out what songs are in it. :roll: But still very good.

I've been asked this several times, so to clear things up,

This song is a remix of only ONE song, DKC2 - Jungle. This is the theme that shows up in the lost levels jungle. You can hear it by getting jungle.spc from the dkc2 sound track on zophar. I will say that a lot of the song was improve and/or original material, but it is still significantly that song and no other.

The ending was a little weaker than I expected from Sir Protricity but I was hooked on the bit from 1:24 to 1:56. Don't worry about my previous comment. Protricity is still one of my top 4 favorite Remixers (sorry there is no order they are all the best)!

I think maybe people don't recognise that tune as often as the others is because of a few things... Firstly, if I'm not mistaken, there are no normal Jungle levels in DKC2, so only those who have ventured into the Lost World will have heard the music before... Also, the track is primarily a percussion affair. No catchy melody... at first. And it's possible that people could confuse this track with others, and think it's a medley. I've noticed that part of the tune in the DKC2 jungle track is borrowed from DKC's underwater stage... This could make it tough for some to classify...

I guess I shouldn't really review this track of Protricity's here and now because I haven't heard it yet! My colledge doesn't allow MP3 downloads, and that's where I am... :(

But Protricity is my #1 fav ReMixer of all time, so it's bound to be a winner! Keep doing DKC2 stuff dude, your reinterpretations and David's original score make for an awesome combination! Bravo Protricity!

Oh, no, there's a melody. But what nobody seems to realize is that, as I've pointed out countless times, the DKC2 jungle song is merely a (very well done) remix of the DKC Aquatic Ambiance theme. Listen to them back to back and you'll see what I mean.

This makes remixing the jungle theme only slightly redundant, though.

I love it. :) I didn't realize that level was a retake on Aquatic Ambience until listening to this remix. I guess they did that alot. A portion of the Castle theme in 2 was a retake of the minecart theme in 1.

Anyway, yeah. Definitely a keeper here. :) Thanks, Prot... keep up the awesome DKC mixes!

This mix is great stuff compared to his Mega Man X Brainsick Metal Mix. This covers alot of DKC2 themes from the Lost World Jungle theme at 4:19 to the water theme from DKC. It covered a very little of the mine theme.

At first I thought this would be a little something from Swanky's Game Show theme. That would be classified under seductive music. But man was I wrong by far.

This kind of reminds me of Christina Agulaira's take on "Lady Marmelade", a song which only gets me listening to it because of the cowbell used on every beat.

BTW, If you're not doing the Beehive Theme, are you able to spare that for my next mix? Thanks for your services as long time remixer and judge.

Double A Ron

• 1 month later...

I'm another Proctricity fan here. I've always loved the DKC series music and now he's turning them into real works of art... unbelieveable!

This track is IMHO quite not-so-structured as his previous ones, but it has a nice swing. For my taste (I'm primarily a fan on Tangerine Dream... anyone know them? You ought to!) the rhytm section is slightly cheesy, but besides that it's a nice track.

Hmm, strange. My SoundApp (yes that's the name of it) shows for this track a lesser duration that it actually is. I know that he uses some weird encoding, but for Assembly Line Apparations it actually shows more lenght than there is; and here, the opposite. :?:

It could be more appropriate to send these last points as a private message, but, oh well... I think Ari looks a little like H. P. Lovecraft. :) Oh, and is "Ari" a proper name in English, too? It's a common name here in Finland, but this is the first time I come across it outside our country?

• 2 weeks later...

The startup for this one has a real "DKC" feel to it, though it is mostly of protricity's imagination; it's what builds the interest for me, like I'm waiting for every movement and beat... the precussion at 1:57 was much like the original, bare and very much in-you-face. the return of that beautiful wailing synth at 2:13 was nice... but better at 2:55 with that backup... and oh, that part were the main synth goes dancing across my graphic equalizer, THAT was giving me the jungle vibe. 4:01 - 4:51 was recognizable and refreshing, if a bit short. At 4:52, it gets a bit funkier; I'm not sure if this was place right... for me, the funkiness would be better suited to the earlier parts. The ending wasn't the greatest, but then I'm not real picky bout endings.

Overall, the precussion was tight and "primal", and the synths were beautiful and fairly well placed. Some of the solos could stand to be swaped around, but that's my ONLY real gripe... which isn't a gripe at all, concidering there's not going to be a revision :P

9/10 Protricity! Keep the DKC flowing like hot lava, megafans of the series like myself live off your remixes month-by-month. God bless you sir.

• 3 weeks later...

Proticity does the job again!

Another nice remix. Has a good beat to it as well. It took me a while to realize that it was the jungle theme from DKC2! Another killer one, but Assembly Lines Apparitions is still my favorite from Proticity.

Come on, make a killer Kannon's Klaim remix. Everybody wants to hear one now! :lol:

• 6 months later...

I had a hard time placing this, until I got to 4:01. That's one of my favorite parts, Only because, what I love most about ReMixes is how you can hear the original part of a song. If something's too ReMixed to recognize the original track, I don't like as much as others. This was hard for me to do, but I still actually like this one alot.

As for this Aquatic Ambience/Jungle connection, I don't hear a resemblence.

• 4 months later...

I got a jungle fever, and the only prescription is...MORE COWBELL :D

I had trouble picking up the melody on the first go, but the end was recognizable. I then listened to it again and it made more sense. Pretzel's right. All the funky sessions in this track are appropriate for one of those synthesizer demo things...or perhaps a Bollywood film :lol:

Keep up the great work, Prot!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00999 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Savage Seduction"