Remixer Name: Willrock07

Email address: will.rock@hotmail.co.uk

Userid number: 24181

Game Arranged: The Legend Of Zelda: Links Awakening

Songs Arranged: Tal Tal Heights Mountain Range

Legend Of Zelda Main Theme

Name Of Submission: Mountain Of Dreams

Own Comments:

The Legend Of Zelda: Links awakening was the first game I played and completed so this game is very important to me as far as games and remixing game music goes for me.

The loved the music from the game, but the stand-out track for me was tal tal mountain range, probably my favourite video game tune.

When I started remixing video game music, I started with the tal tal mountain range, and this is my second attempt at the theme. It took me a month to get it right and I hope you agree it was worth it.

I decided to call my remix 'Mountain of Dreams'

I hope you enjoy this arrangement guys!

------------------------------------------------------------

The GBS set never works for me now, but I know both sources well enough.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/8106 - Tracks ?

Definitely a marked improvement versus your other subs. The synth first used at 1:01 was piercing at times, and should have been pulled back. Moved over into "Tal Tal" at 1:16 with a fairly straightforward take, but some good personalization of the theme. Around the 2-minute mark, the main beatwork was plodding due to the repetition. I think if the volume was pulled back somewhat or tone of the beats was different, the repetition would have been marginalized.

The break section from 2:20-2:33 felt aimless on the first listed, though it's not bad. Interesting call-and-answer style stuff from 3:32-3:44. The ending phrase at 4:21, I would have resolved differently at 4:27; what was in place now took a lot of steam out of the ending; I can hear the higher note that would have worked better in my head. The ending also cut off during the fade at 4:35, so that has to be fixed.

No hate on the arrangement. IMO, the core beat pattern introduced at 1:11 overstayed its welcome, some melodic ideas could be tweaked to improve the flow, and some of the supporting instrumentation was marginalized, but the overall ideas and execution were both creative and solid. Dunno how the others will feel, but I definitely enjoyed the ideas here. The overuse of the core beat pattern hampered it, but otherwise very good stuff in terms of the melodic interpretation. I'm definitely looking forward to your continued improvement.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Solid arrangement of the two sources, with some cool melody alterations and dynamic changes. I like the sounds of your leads and the section where they play off each other. I actually liked the way it ended too, with a short original section. Pretty much no complaints on the writing end.

Production wasn't on the same level, unfortunately. I thought overall the song was on the cluttered side, and the parts needed more space to themselves. It was hard to hear individual backing parts in the busier sections. Drums also seemed a little hollow and distant but were not bad.

I think on the strength of the arrangement, I'm willing to say YES to this. The production is not bad, certainly, but there's a lot of room for improvement, which makes it a borderline call. Here's hoping you pick up the other YESes.

YES (borderline)

Ah, finally, judges hosting was down :'(

This is quite cool. I think the drums are too loud compared to the rest of the mix, especially in high frequencies.. Overall the mix seemed very cluttered because parts bled into eachother, check reverb-settings and EQ to make sure it's not too crowded. Delay is also a thing you need to be careful with. Most of the lead-synths were cool. Sometimes they got a bit piercing though, make sure you've got a nice set of studio headphones or monitors so you really hear the high frequencies and how they sound. I know, expensive, but a pair of good headphones will help you!

The arrangement was very creative. Though the beatpattern went on for too long, like larry said. Smart usage of the melody and nice chord changes. Overall, a very creative arrangement. Awkward cut-off ending, should be fixed.

Overall I think the arrangement just about outweighs the production. It's a really close call IMO but you managed to get it there. Now render this without the cut-off ending and you're set.

YES(conditional on ending/borderline)

PS: Probably wouldn't harm the track to tone down the reverb/volume on drums at render but it isn't a dealbreaker for me, just fix ending.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I am down with the ending. There's a difference between an ending being poorly abrupt and simply unexpected and unique. I thought this is a case of the latter.

That being said, I think my boy Will here might be one of the best solo sequencing fiends I've heard. There is some serious crazy awesome in all the solos I've heard in his tracks.

So let's see:

-Great arrangement

-Fantastic solos and synth work overall

-Reverb is a little on the heavy side

-Production could use some work, but it's aight.

Gonna have to throwdown a YES here.

This kind of reminds me of Doug's Cave Story mix. It has a couple quirks, but overall, this should be an easy call across the board.