OCR01012 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Willed Assault"

djpretzel

This is great stuff! I have always been a "wall of sound" type of fellow. Meaning, I don't mind a lot of stuff going on at the same time. And this really fits the bill. It starts off quick and never lets go. Even in the "soft" parts the drum processing goes balls out and the background synth work blazes. The gating really rocks too. Reminds me a lot of J:/Drive's Chrono mix. I absolutely dig every aspect of this mix! Just awesome stuff. :nicework:

i enjoy the fact that a mixer as good as ziwtra will still post mixes on the WIP board. this mix actually did not get many (if any) truly useful responses, but still, it's nice to know that even "good" remixers will still take advice and listen to criticism.

as to the actual mix? just download it already. i wouldn't go as far as saying this is ziwtra's best mix, but it follows the same busy, high-energy path that downwind and the first half of desert snowstorm travelled.

-rob

Nice. I always love to get Game Boy remixes, and this is no exception. The FF titles were always great on the GB.

As for the mix, greats sound & I think the length is perfect. Got a skitchy feel to it I love. I give it 4 out of 5.

Thank you Ziwtra!

Well I remember owning this a few years back. This is a tune I have always liked, with it’s simplistic chords and nice melody. However, I honestly have to say, I’d never have been able to pick that melody out of your remix. I’m not that taken with this. There are some nice touches for sure, and it’s not all bad by any means. I just think you have butchered a beautiful melody. Again, this isn’t always a bad thing but it just didn’t work for me this time. Also, I found some of the chords and melodies slightly disagreeable.

Well done though. The fact is, it meets OCR standards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear, it seams I owe you an apology. When I downloaded the original GBS file I wasn’t paying attention and just asssumed your remix was based on track 1/30. You can probably see why I had difficulty picking it out now.

This does significantly change my opinion on the remix. I totally appreciate what you have done with this track. As I said earlier, it’s not all bad and now it’s a whole lot better. Good job.

Again, let me offer my apologies.

I like this. It's... Snappy. And I'm not the kinda guy who'll look at a suit in a shop and go, "Hey, that's snappy." Downloaded it, turned it up so I could hear it, and went to the other side of the apartment to put in my contacts while I listened. I think the bassline might've woken both my neighbors up, but, meh. Short, fun, and very well done.

This song is fantastic. I think (contrary to djp) that the processing and effects are awesome, done to good taste and executed professionally. Though I can't really pick out the tune that isn't a problem because to me this song just creates such an awesome mood and feel it's hard to not feel happy.

A lot better than I had anticipated.

One word ReView: Happy.

Well done though. The fact is, it meets OCR standards.

I strongly agree. This is the first song on OCR I give a 10/10. Everything in the mix is at the level it should be. It's not "hard-to-listen-to" trance like bLiNd's Zelda 2 Temple Trance Mix. It kinda gives me the feel of the soundtrack of the movie "Cool World". And yeah, I love early nineties movies and music ( :P cheesy yet cool! :lol: ). Anyway, I love the variety of both acoustic and synth instruments used. The patches and loops all sound original.

Drums and panned, flammed, distorted, and filtered as they should be, and no repeating of rythums every single measure. Awesome! I knew this guy wouldn't be able to find a sutable genre for this, which I'm glad, because I praise anyone who claims to be and is original. This guy proved it through his ReMix.

For this good a mix of a infamous game, I give "Two Thumbs Up". Do more of this stuff, Ziwtra, or I'm hunting your music down! :D

Dude, this rocks! The array of sounds in here is just incredibly well put together and chosen. The mastering is great, and the drum programming really really rocks with many details thrown in. Man. Skillz. Are you still using Linux and shareware music progs? (that was you, right?) Amazing stuff.

It's sad what many of these people are missing just because it doesn't have a name like Final Fantasy 7 on it :(. This is an excellent remix, with a nice blend of instruments and excellent rearrangement of the chords.

good point

Final Fantasy Adventure wasn't even part of the Final Fantasy Series. The just put the name on it so it would sell. Turns out this was one of the coolest GB games, with it's Zelda-like style.

As far as the tune, I like it. I wasn't blown away but it's fun to listen to. I could pick out the melody but it was a little hidden.

Very nice indeed. I love the choppy effect, it keeps the synth nice and fresh, and the variety in the background keeps the drum beat from getting dull. The pads offset the choppy synth nicely and leave a great contrast. Great take on an SD1 battle theme, and while I liked Matt Pollard's better, this still goes on my recent favorites list.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised I haven't commented on "Willed Assault" yet, since I DLed it as soon as it was posted. Like djp was saying, there's a weird vibe about it, so the elements of this song were certainly not what I was used to hearing. This was one of those tracks for me that was somewhat borderline as a keeper on my first listen, but I always listen to the new stuff several times to really get familiar with it and appreciate the music, and Willed Assault certainly kicks my ass. The scraping/cutting effects that Young used are very tight, and this song's so upbeat that it kicks you in the face. This track along with Pr0t's "Savage Seduction" are both tracks that you really like more and more as you repeatedly listen to them and start picking up on more and more details and nuances within the music. This one's got a rich, full sound and heavy attention to detail. Hanging in the IRC chat, Ziwtra (frankly, I still don't know how to really pronounce that) let me check out an early WIP called "Wings" shortly before Willed Assault was posted, and it sounds awesome as well, so I'm certainly looking forward to it. Meanwhile, Willed Assault get some big approval and will certainly see some repeated play on my college/video game music radio show. :excellentwork:

• 3 weeks later...

Again, I've had this one for some time, but wanted to see how much I could get out of it. It's still very addictive, especially the main parts of the song (~1:09 and 2:57) You can say what you want about it sounding disjointed, but it keeps growing on me and stays fresh. A song that had a ton of potential was done really well here.

Instruments A-

Creativity A-

Pacing A-

Original song quality A-

Remixing quality, soundness B+

Replay value A-

Overall 91% A-

• 6 months later...

I'd not played this game for about a year when I found this track on OCR (I have the game way back from when it was originally titled Mysic Quest) but as soon as I got past the opening bar, I instantly recognised the 'overworld' music - presented in a really inspiring way.

This piece is lively, friendly and most of all, fun to listen to - it immediately went right in as one of my favourite mixes!

As an aside - is it my imagination or did Compyfox also do a remix from this game's soundtrack, 'Mission of Mana'? I can't find it on here, even though I already have it on my computer... I loved that emotionally moving piece too!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01012 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Willed Assault"