REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Okay' date=' time for another question. How do I get a note to fade in or out? A couple've the tutorials I've been reading make reference to a curve tool, but I can't seem to find it.[/quote']

That's what "Release" is for on the Amp Envelope. The higher you set that, the longer it will take for the note to stop sounding after the note is released, or the end of the note, if you aren't using a keyboard. It creates a fading-out effect that can be automated in as needed.

Okay' date=' time for another question. How do I get a note to fade in or out? A couple've the tutorials I've been reading make reference to a curve tool, but I can't seem to find it.[/quote']

That's what "Release" is for on the Amp Envelope. The higher you set that, the longer it will take for the note to stop sounding after the note is released, or the end of the note, if you aren't using a keyboard. It creates a fading-out effect that can be automated in as needed.

Also, the Attack setting controls how quickly the note fades in.

How do you automate speed/tempo?

Hrmmm.. this might sound stupid, but you can try opening Sound Recorder (making sure your record settings are on Wave/Stereo out, and that your sample rate is around 44khz 16bit stereo) and than press play in Reason and move the tempo tags up and down manually as you're recording it live to Sound Recorder. You can also export it to wave first at the slowest tempo; than use something like Cooledit to unstretch it to different levels - but that method might affect the actual wave frequency of some of the instruments.

I've tried sampling full wave files from Reason into Fruitloops before too; to play around with it there. It's trickier because you have to keep restarting from the beginning or export it to hear the results (unless you split the wave into many sections and put it in a pattern first) - but still kind of interesting... slicing waves together to form a cool arrangement with features from other programs; that didn't work as well in Reason.

Editing music after it's in a wave file (or many wave files - if you're mixing channels with different settings) can be alot of fun... even just with regular Sound Recorder; let alone with CoolEdit and such. Many people who are accustomed to doing everything in their specific program are afraid to try this - but it can give you some pretty neat results when you give it a chance. All depends what you're after, I guess. :)

You can't :(

That, or rewire to cubase or any other valid Rewire supported controller that supports tempo automation. I do it all the time.

However, there is a bug in reason: if you change tempo while using a delay mod, the delay mod goes into pitch bending spasms and screws your song up. Either dont use delay at all, deal with the pitchbends, or avoid the use of delay during tempo changes.

That, or rewire to cubase or any other valid Rewire supported controller that supports tempo automation. I do it all the time.

However, there is a bug in reason: if you change tempo while using a delay mod, the delay mod goes into pitch bending spasms and screws your song up. Either dont use delay at all, deal with the pitchbends, or avoid the use of delay during tempo changes.

Actually, it's not really a bug as such, as that's how they implemented getting the delay synced to the tempo again when the BPM is changed. The buffer for the delay is filled with data that corresponds to the unchanged tempo, and by doing that pitch bend thing it quickly clears out the buffer. Why they implemented it like that is a mystery to me; it's the only thing really that I'm aware of that would have to be changed to allow "clean" tempo automation.

Actually, it's not really a bug as such, as that's how they implemented getting the delay synced to the tempo again when the BPM is changed. The buffer for the delay is filled with data that corresponds to the unchanged tempo, and by doing that pitch bend thing it quickly clears out the buffer. Why they implemented it like that is a mystery to me; it's the only thing really that I'm aware of that would have to be changed to allow "clean" tempo automation.

As the implimentation of rewire includes tempo change support deliberately, the delay's inability to perform well is an unintended and detrimental aspect of the reason system. By the accepted definition, this is a bug. It could have easily been fixed. However, to fix the bug would mean to change the system. Changing how the system sounds would be very inappropriate. People have completed songs in reason and would not want them sounding any different (or even being byte-wise different) in the downmix. I know I wouldn't. Thus, they wont change it. Its just unfortunate as it bugs the hell out of me.

As the implimentation of rewire includes tempo change support deliberately, the delay's inability to perform well is an unintended and detrimental aspect of the reason system. By the accepted definition, this is a bug. It could have easily been fixed. However, to fix the bug would mean to change the system. Changing how the system sounds would be very inappropriate. People have completed songs in reason and would not want them sounding any different (or even being byte-wise different) in the downmix. I know I wouldn't. Thus, they wont change it. Its just unfortunate as it bugs the hell out of me.

Yeah.. you have a point. Which came first, though? Rewire or Reason? If Reason, then your logic for it being a bug (although I do agree that it is such, just that it's intentional, unfortunately) is somewhat flawed, as at that time the tempo automation would have been impossible and the "bug" would never have been a concern, thus making that type of implementation perfectly viable.

The crazy pitchbending spasms, I've noticed, also happen when you automate the delay time. It's not just a product of ReWire.

That's supposed to happen. Changing the delay time will create flanging effect.

Exactly. And if the delay time is syched to the tempo, changed the tempo also changes the delay. It's not a bug at all.

But it's not flanging.. it's like your delayed melody is going along nicely, "doot do doot do do dooooot", but then when you change the tempo / delay time it's like "doot do doot BWOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGggggg.... doot do doot doot". I'm not kidding. :| I'll upload an example mp3 when I have more time.

It's an effect common to many different types of delays. I have a guitar pedal that does the same thing if you stomp the expression pedal to change the delay time while notes are being played. It's just something that happens when you mess with a time-based effect like delay.

It's an effect common to many different types of delays. I have a guitar pedal that does the same thing if you stomp the expression pedal to change the delay time while notes are being played. It's just something that happens when you mess with a time-based effect like delay.
Yeah, but it's possible to implement it so that doesn't happen. Like for example by quickly crossfading from the old buffer to the new one when the delay time of the new buffer is "over" (like 300 ms for a 300 ms delay). Or by simply emptying the buffer normally (playing through it) and starting to fill the buffer at the new tempo / delay time at the end. Some issues rise with those implementations too (mostly that the delay will be off time until it catches up), but it's not as obvious as the "BWOOoonnng" implementation.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you make the velocity of NN-XT instruments work like usual? I want to change the volume with velocity, but right now it just makes the notes a bit duller when i set the velocity to 0.

thx...

Open up the remote editor. There's a group of knobs under "Velocity". Adjust the "Level" knob: the more you boost it, the greater the difference between 0 and max velocity in terms of volume, where 0 is quieter, while reducing it below the neutral middle position will apply the opposite effect (0 velocity is louder than max velocity). The other knobs tweak other parameters in a similar manner.