how can I simulate tape saturation/hiss?

jordex

I love the warmth you get from crackling of tape in recordings. I've noticed that there's a lot of it in hip-hop songs, and other genres as well of course. It could even be the crackling of Vinyl as well, maybe. All I know is that I love it.

I'm wondering what I can do to simulate it in my songs since I make most of my music digitally.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit*

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1142206/a/Pepper:+Remixes+And+Rare+Tracks.htm

Listen to the song Over and you can sort of hear what I mean. It streams at such bad quality so it's sort of hard to hear, but I think you get the idea.

To make sure you're getting the most realistic tape sound make sure it is attenuating the peaks(attack) transients by -6db. Tape on average cuts 6db from the transients, which gives a compressed sound, along with slightly distorting harmonics to give what appears to the human ear as a very warm and rich sound. Would kinda be a hassle to do this manually all the time, but IMO Izotope is one helluva company and makes some top notch plugins!

Agreed, plus I've noticed that it only has like 2 or 3 different dust samples and you can notice them loop in a pattern after only a few times through, overall I really don't like it.

Sampletanks phonograph effect is really nice actually, too bad it doesn't come as a VST, maybe I'll just sample some of it sometime and run the rest through vinyl's age filter.