OCR ID3 tagging improvements - DONE!

Liontamer

We're in the home stretch of this project and a re-release of the single mix torrents. :-)

Hey y'all. I was interested in updating the tags of OC ReMixes and wanted to know what fields should be added to the picture.

Album art is a given. What dimensions are the most appropriate for standard stuff like iTunes?

Album artist/band is also important, along with Publisher.

Aside from those, am I missing anything major that comes up as blank in major music applications?

Rama, where you at?

----------------------------------------------------

IN PROGRESS:

THINGS WE ARE NOT CHANGING:

• ReMixer name(s) as Artist
  • "http://ocremix.org" as Album Title
  • "Game" as Genre
  • Official album art design

DONE:

• MP3 validation (e.g. MPEG frame consistency, length of stored VBR header) for player compatibility
  • Added missing VBR headers
  • Removed all non-standard ID3v2.3 tags and all non-ID3v2.3 tags (e.g. ID3v1, APE)
  • Standardized filenames and ID3v2.3 tags (e.g. proper game titles, correct capitalization/spacing of mix titles, single quotes around mix title)
  • Quality control & corrections of all existing fields (e.g. ReMixer name changes, missing/corrected composers/platforms/years)
  • Added Track # (ReMix ID #), Publisher (OverClocked ReMix), Album Artist (OverClocked ReMix) and Album Artist URL ("http://ocremix.org") fields
  • Added Compilation flag for grouping of single mixes as one album
  • Added game to Grouping/Content Group field for sorting by game title
  • Added ReMix titles (w/o game name prefix & 'OC ReMix' suffix) to Subtitle field
  • Standardized URL field (OCR Artist profile URL)
  • Added artist submission and website comments to Comments field (when available)
  • Embedded confirmed lyrics in Comments and Unsynced Lyrics fields
  • Removed extra silence from tracks

I think I remember one of the biggest complaints people have had in the past is that, when put into iTunes, all the songs come up as separate albums based on the artist, despite all the songs being part of the same album. It results in a plethora of "http://www.ocremix.org" albums showing up. So I suggest that this problem be fixed.

I think I remember one of the biggest complaints people have had in the past is that, when put into iTunes, all the songs come up as separate albums based on the artist, despite all the songs being part of the same album. It results in a plethora of "http://www.ocremix.org" albums showing up. So I suggest that this problem be fixed.

I believe the Album artist/band field I mentioned takes care of that.

Hey y'all. I was interested in updating the tags of OC ReMixes and wanted to know what fields should be added to the picture.

Album art is a given. What dimensions are the most appropriate for standard stuff like iTunes?

Album artist/band is also important, along with Publisher.

Aside from those, am I missing anything major that comes up as blank in major music applications?

Rama, where you at?

Lyrics, where necessary/possible. That's one of the things I try to do with all the R:TS mixes, and since there's not too many songs that actally HAVE lyrics, it should be pretty easy to add. Lots of media players'll pop something up, or have a little display thing for lyrics, so it's cool to have.

Album art doesn't need to be any bigger than 300x300. I don't know if that's the "standard" so to speak, but that's what I see most often.

That's just the first thing that comes to mind, though. I'll look and see if there's anything else I'm missing.

Lyrics, where necessary/possible. That's one of the things I try to do with all the R:TS mixes, and since there's not too many songs that actally HAVE lyrics, it should be pretty easy to add. Lots of media players'll pop something up, or have a little display thing for lyrics, so it's cool to have.

Album art doesn't need to be any bigger than 300x300. I don't know if that's the "standard" so to speak, but that's what I see most often.

That's just the first thing that comes to mind, though. I'll look and see if there's anything else I'm missing.

Thanks, man. Good catch on lyrics! Just double check on the art sizes you're seeing. I'm sure the display size in programs is smaller than 300x300, but if there's any program that shows off something larger, I'd rather we didn't have art that was too small and might look pixelated.

Hey Larry... I think any photo size for iTunes will work and display on all iPods. Each game has a standard photo displayed when reading reviews on OCR... I usually right click on those, save on my hard drive, and select that photo for the specific track. It was a lot of work, but it looks nice on my iPod. :)

Custom art per game could be cool, but too much worky! I lazy.

300x300 is the sized used for the itunes 'flip book' view-

flip.jpg

So when you extract the art from pro iTunes releases, is it also 300x300, or is it larger and just scaled down for the flipbook view?

Custom art per game could be cool, but too much worky! I lazy.

So when you extract the art from pro iTunes releases, is it also 300x300, or is it larger and just scaled down for the flipbook view?

iTunes pretty much scales infinitely. Most media players do. I don't know of many instances where you'll find something display BY DEFAULT more than 300x300

BUT

When iTunes pulls album art from the iTunes store, they're 600x600. I checked for multiple songs from multiple CDs, both less known and more well known.

So 600x600 is my final answer.

This might be a compeltely idiotic idea, but...

Could the Album tag refer to the game and http://www.ocremix.org be put somewhere else (like publisher/label/whatever)? It'd make sorting easier.

Also, some game names aren't used consistantly, SD3 and Seiken Densetsu 3 are both used (the only example I recall). Might as well fix that and NamesWithoutSpaces too if you're updating the tags.

One thing that I'm surprised has never been done, especially considering how all of OCR is tagged as one album:

How about putting the remix ID number as the track number, so we can sort the remixes in the order they were posted on the site?

Could the Album tag refer to the game and http://www.ocremix.org be put somewhere else (like publisher/label/whatever)? It'd make sorting easier.

Also, some game names aren't used consistantly, SD3 and Seiken Densetsu 3 are both used (the only example I recall). Might as well fix that and NamesWithoutSpaces too if you're updating the tags.

I believe Dave has stated before that OCR's URL will not be moved out of the album field. Discovering an MP3 with a website listed as its album (how often do you seen that?) is going to drive a lot more people to discover this place than a URL buried deep within the ID3 details.

Although I understand your sentiments. Personally, all the OC ReMixes I download have their album changed to "Game Name OC ReMix", "OC ReMix" is stripped out of the title (since I put it in the album), and "http://www.ocremix.org" goes into the publisher field.

It would be cool to somehow integrate a system of sorting by game, but I'm not sure which field you could use.

Definitely NOT changing the album tag. :lol: That's how people find the site. If you want to sort by game, the filenames and titles allow that already.

Already done. This is me we're talking about.

One thing that I'm surprised has never been done, especially considering how all of OCR is tagged as one album:

How about putting the remix ID number as the track number, so we can sort the remixes in the order they were posted on the site?

Dave uses Helium to tag the mixes and I know he adds the OCR mix # in every mix somewhere. That said, I dunno where that is in ID3v2 tags or how to easily see that stuff. We could do that in the Track # tags instead.

Dave uses Helium to tag the mixes and I know he adds the OCR mix # in every mix somewhere. That said, I dunno where that is in ID3v2 tags or how to easily see that stuff. We could do that in the Track # tags instead.

Cool, thanks. Curious to see if I could find the embedded numbers, I just used Winamp, Foobar2000, and a free tagger program... and none of them saw any ID3 field containing the mix number. It isn't easy to find, that's for certain. o.o

Cool, thanks. Curious to see if I could find the embedded numbers, I just used Winamp, Foobar2000, and a free tagger program... and none of them saw any ID3 field containing the mix number. It isn't easy to find, that's for certain. o.o

i concur. my mixes are stored by folder from the torrent. 01 > 1000 etc

and i don't see any mixid anywhere. i'm forced to check the path of the file to see where they are.

Don't remove the album tag, the album is OCR and not the game. Will cause a LOT of confusion otherwise imo, people sharing it like a soundtrack song or such.

Fixing the NamesWithoutSpaces and FFVI/FF6 issues too might be a good idea. Use roman numerals.

RE: the separate albums in itunes I usually check "part of collection" in itunes and they all group together. If the Album Artist field will fix this, then good, "part of collection" works good enough for me anyway. Album Artist field would require putting every single remixer down OR ocremix.org and both seems.. meh.

RE: mix id, would be awesome. I always try to sort by year to see the "evolution" of OCRemixes and mix id (perhaps track number? that's the best way to organize it in my opinion but it might mess stuff up if your media player doesn't sort by different things easily) would help this a lot.

You could recruit! http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19642. No difference to me since I'm still Zen Xtra-ing (green and black screen), but if that tiles project doesn't fall through it sounds like you might have folks interested in associating the pics with the remixes.

IMO 1700+ different covers for EACH TRACK sounds like a waste of space. Title Screens per game, maybe, but I'm satisfied with just an official OCR Album Art.

Fixing the NamesWithoutSpaces and FFVI/FF6 issues too might be a good idea. Use roman numerals.

Actually, I think using a more computer-friendly convention might be better in this case. It might look weird to see "FF01" but at least it'll sort properly, i.e.10 coming after 9, instead of before 1. (Or alternately, IX coming after V, VI, etc., instead of before.)

Actually, I think using a more computer-friendly convention might be better in this case. It might look weird to see "FF01" but at least it'll sort properly, i.e.10 coming after 9, instead of before 1. (Or alternately, IX coming after V, VI, etc., instead of before.)

The mission of OCR has always been to raise awareness of game music and tribute the original game and music. Using the games original title accomplishes that. We also don't want a fanboy-riot :tomatoface:

I see no reason of altering the games original title. If it uses roman numerals it should and vice versa.

You could recruit! http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19642. No difference to me since I'm still Zen Xtra-ing (green and black screen), but if that tiles project doesn't fall through it sounds like you might have folks interested in associating the pics with the remixes.

That could be very cool, just not something that could be done quickly. Maybe around OCR02000 if they idea takes off.

Nowadays, I've seen OSes & programs smart enough to understand that filenames with Final_Fantasy_9 come before Final_Fantasy_10, so I think it's OK, but I'll keep an eye on that. As far as the actual tags, don't worry Mattias, Roman numerals where appropriate.

One more name tag to check is "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" vs "TMNT." That is a bitch to find the right remix on my Zen Micro while driving! :<

Already got that stuff, but thanks. Just for the record, I don't need any help on file renaming or proper game names, just ID3 tag fields we're not using that we should be.