OCRA-0013 - Tales: Summoning of Spirits

KyleJCrb

I've been waiting for this release for a long, long time. I've kept an eye on it and silently watched and waited. Finally, all that waiting has paid off, and I have to say...I think I might have placed too high of an expectation on this project....There were some tracks that were "nailed," but a great majority of tracks just didn't feel right at all. I'll go over several songs I felt had a big impact on me, positively or negatively.

One big example was Holy Judgement, which sounded unfinished. I was expecting this remix to blow me away after such a dramatic buildup, but it turned into a very loud and "twangy" electric guitar with very little and very quiet percussion to go with it. It sounded like 3 instruments were missing. I was hoping there'd be more to it that was really "in my face," but the entire song felt like just one big build-up with no true climax. The epic opening first minute was great, at least. I just wish the rock portion was more complete and polished. The voice clips were great though.

Strike of the Devil's Axes was actually pretty good. Best Fatalize remix I've heard. Seriously nothing to complain about.

The Unholy Wars was really good...at first. And then that damn synthesizer came in. The song sounded like a stage out of Mega Man X. It was a good remix, but it didn't blow me away like I was hoping. For what it was, though, it's good.

Dark Corner was a big disappointment too. I can understand if it was a remix to Mithos' theme, but not the fight theme. Not to mention, it just sounds like a cluttered mess. It's like it has no structure. Most of the song didn't even sound like the track the remix is based off of. When I was expecting some kind of big finish, it just tapers off. Possibly my least favorite remix on the Symphonia side of the remixes.

Antegenesis was bizarre. Most of the time, I couldn't tell if the song was a remix or an original track with touches of "beat the angel" thrown in. It wasn't as cluttered as Dark Corner since it finally picks up into a good remix of it's original song during bits and pieces, but then it goes back to being...a "blues" song? Sorry...just not what I was expecting...or liked.

I loved Dream Traveler. It was a faithful remix to Presea's theme. It was sad, slow, calm, and easily recognizable. I think it could have been a tad bit faster in tempo, but overall it was good and an easy listen. I enjoyed it.

Apogee rocked. Period. End of story. One of the best on the symphonia tracks hands down. Loved it.

Ain't Yo Fool (Stay Cool) was both good and bad. I liked how upbeat and "stylish" it was. It was a fun song and happy to listen to, but the biggest problem I had with it is that it's hard to recognize the source song it came from. Unless I had been told it was Zelos' theme song, I never would have guessed.

Determination is good, but lacks any real climax. While listening to it, I was thinking "this is awesome. Ok, the big climax is coming up in a few seconds..." and then the song was over. It still sounded very ninja-ish and I could hear the source material clearly.

Chaotic Heart was a blast! It was just plain fun to listen to and it was obviously Raine. No confusion if I wasn't told what it was based off of. It was just the right sound, the right beat, the right use of instruments. It sort of reminded me of the 80's too. It was awesome. Kudos are in order for Sixto. This is one of my favorite tracks in the whole album.

This Fate actually sounds like it was a professional remix taken from a game with him included in the scene. It was heroic, his theme music is easily noticed, and it was calm, perfectly suited for a character's theme music. Very nicely done.

Crisis Healing Salve was a turn-off...at first. But then, this song actually hit a climax mid-way with the electric guitar. It wasn't just an all-buildup, no payoff song. It was actually really good! I liked it.

Arche Angel was heroic. Very Heroic.... Too heroic. Ok, it was good. I liked it a lot, but it didn't sound like it was something based off Arche. Still, for what it was, it was really good and would definitely be great theme music for someone.

Simplified Design was far too heavy, but the source of the theme music it was based off of was clear as day and, in the end, it wasn't bad. I'd say it was missing a few instruments in there overall to give it more depth. I think the best part was when the piano cut in all of a sudden, breaking up the loud with some calm, dramatic softness (though the piano keys sounded a bit flat....)

Just Go is what I like to call epic. This song blew me away in...well...everything! It was very epic-sounding and it was almost dream-like with that excellent instrument use. It's quite possibly the best track on the Phantasia side, if not the entire album. Very excellent work, composers. This one is a job well done.

New Technology was surprisingly addicting. It was very evil-sounding and was very appropriate towards the source music it came from. It fits perfectly in a computerized area and it was fun to listen to mostly. The ending got a bit irritating though.

Thats about all I'm gonna cover. You guys get the basic idea. I found some good, some bad, some awesome, and some a great disappointment. Out of all of them, Holy Judgement and Dark Corner were my biggest disappointments in the whole album. I was sad about that, but many other songs were great. Thanks for putting the time into all the tracks, however. I know it's not easy making these.

Listened to the disc 2 last evening, and I genuinely liked even bigger portions than with disc 1. =) However, scattered among the tracks of the first half of the release, there's a large amount of note/chord choices that just sound wrong to me. Off-key, dissonant-in-a-bad-way, that sort of stuff. So many, that I am wondering if I've been just hearing things..

Disc 3 is sounding pretty good so far!

--Eino

I've been waiting for this release for a long, long time. I've kept an eye on it and silently watched and waited. Finally, all that waiting has paid off, and I have to say...I think I might have placed too high of an expectation on this project....There were some tracks that were "nailed," but a great majority of tracks just didn't feel right at all. I'll go over several songs I felt had a big impact on me, positively or negatively.

not every project is votl. thanks for contributing, though, i'm sure the mixers of the songs you didn't like appreciate the criticism.

Off-key, dissonant-in-a-bad-way, that sort of stuff.

Hmm, which tracks in particular? There are a few intentionally "bad" notes in 'Simplified Design', and 'New Technology' has some rough spots, but I can't think of any others.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Thanks for the massive feedback! While I don't necessarily agree that Pacaud and PriZm disappointed ('Holy Judgement' for me especially is one of the most epic songs on the album), I understand what they do isn't necessarily to everyone's tastes (which I typically expect from progressive rock in general). Regardless, I'm glad you did enjoy a good portion of what we did. This is the kind of feedback I'd like to see more of.

I loved Dream Traveler. It was a faithful remix to Presea's theme. It was sad, slow, calm, and easily recognizable. I think it could have been a tad bit faster in tempo, but overall it was good and an easy listen. I enjoyed it.

Wow, thank you :smile: I somehow saw it as one of my more experimental compositions for this thing, but I'm really glad to see that it's paid off.

Concerning the general feedback given, we as a team appreciate the message that you provided. Course, as Brad said, not every project is going to be like that FF7 project from a few months back in terms of production level, but that's not the point. What kept us stimulated is doing justice to an otherwise undercovered RPG series, and if the feedback from this thing is good, then we'd see it as a success.

Again, thanks very much for your post, much appreciated :smile:

Just Go is what I like to call epic. This song blew me away in...well...everything! It was very epic-sounding and it was almost dream-like with that excellent instrument use. It's quite possibly the best track on the Phantasia side, if not the entire album. Very excellent work, composers. This one is a job well done.

Hey, thanks for the compliments! Glad you liked it.

One big example was Holy Judgement, which sounded unfinished. I was expecting this remix to blow me away after such a dramatic buildup, but it turned into a very loud and "twangy" electric guitar with very little and very quiet percussion to go with it. It sounded like 3 instruments were missing. I was hoping there'd be more to it that was really "in my face," but the entire song felt like just one big build-up with no true climax. The epic opening first minute was great, at least. I just wish the rock portion was more complete and polished. The voice clips were great though.

Simplified Design was far too heavy, but the source of the theme music it was based off of was clear as day and, in the end, it wasn't bad. I'd say it was missing a few instruments in there overall to give it more depth. I think the best part was when the piano cut in all of a sudden, breaking up the loud with some calm, dramatic softness (though the piano keys sounded a bit flat....)

Thank you for taking time to comment on my tunes :)

I realize that not everybody can like them, but I always appreciate criticism, especially when it's constructive.

Hmm, which tracks in particular? There are a few intentionally "bad" notes in 'Simplified Design', and 'New Technology' has some rough spots, but I can't think of any others.

I'll get back on that in detail later. (And I kind of hope I'm not just crazy here.)

Disc three was very solid, with lots of goodies. One more to go!

--Eino

Somehow i have a feeling you'd potentially bring in "Middle-Aselia Biology" into the conversation with this. Let me stick up for it in advance and say that the crystal bell riff dissonating at times was present in the source material as well, so I thought it seemed natural to go with the flow.

...and that's another monkey off my back :P

Holy crap it's out! Guys, it's OUT! Yes! My days of torment and waiting are over! Seriously though, this project was well worth the wait. The music sounds great, and the lossless versions are Incredible. Much love. Seeding 4 life.

Now, back to waiting for the "Missingno Tracks".

Hey Rexy, is that a coincidental or intentional reference to Brinstar Green from Super Metroid in "Summoning of Spirits"? (Mostly 1:31 to 1:47ish, since that piano progresses from that point on.) Just curious; it popped out at me the first time I listened through the album.

Hey Rexy, is that a coincidental or intentional reference to Brinstar Green from Super Metroid in "Summoning of Spirits"? (Mostly 1:31 to 1:47ish, since that piano progresses from that point on.) Just curious; it popped out at me the first time I listened through the album.

That sounds like a total coincidence. "Summoninng of Spirits" the track was one of the first ones completed for the album. I had no idea that bLiNd would fall sick near the end of its development, if that's what you were trying to get at :oops:

Quick question: what's the difference between the "No Better Time Than Now" in the album and the one alternate version for download? Thanks.

The alternate version is the original "final" track. The album version was created after some feedback from the judging panel regarding source usage. They're still similar tracks, but several parts were rearranged and mixed differently for the main album version.