OCR01805 - Chrono Trigger "But the Future Refused to Change"

djpretzel

Ok, now I have listened to it properly, i'm going to crit :P

Great intro, I'm really feeling the organ and the flute over the top :P

Interesting choice of sound for a bass, the drums are awesome as well, very energetic.

I like the dissonance in some of the sections :P

the distorted sax sample sounds a little unusual. The notes bleed into each other, which isn't a good thing with distortion in this case :S

You have a nice synth lead, and use of the sine wave is a nice touch :P

in the piano section at 4.15, listening in my headphones, I think I can hear a few audiable pops/static in the background, it is very faint tho... anyone else hear it or am i going insane ;/

Well, its great. Good enough for me to download imo :P

Very enjoyable, plenty of little details and variation to keep the listener interested in the track.

Nice job man :P

Loving this even though I'm not that familiar with the source tunes. All over the place with styles and genres...yet still sounds surprisingly solid and cohesive.

Organs sounds are shades of FF6's Dancing Mad. Love how synth-heavy this track sounds as well. Distorted samples kind of surprised me too. Piano playing make the track sound somber at times despite the overall 'grooviness'.

Keep up the good work, man!

This is an excellent example of what a thorough grasp of music theory can do for a composer (especially when they're capable of writing something worth listening to).

You use a wide variety of harmonic colors, a meticulous, nuanced arrangement, and a very intelligently written rhythm section (I can't emphasize this enough) to create one of the stronger arrangements I've seen on display in this community.

Even as your production skills continue to catch up with the rest of your chops, know that I still liked this when it sounded like crap.

Less saws next time, plz.

This is awesome. Great contrast with that bas variation.

Drums are really wild and alive. Yeaah SAWS +++ points for that haha.

Great groovy mellow piano section.

This is my favorite. After the mighty and epic "LAVOS SCREAM"

you're back with the lovely and fat organ. build with noisy saws.. and then the groove. Just excellent. Sounds so damn good. And those jumping sines in the background.. Magic man.

Awesome transition into 5.34 in the end.

Great ending aswell.

Good Job DrumUltimA!

Holy shit, all these AAA class remixers rolling in with their praise.. and it's not for naught. I love this too, and I'm amazed how you've rolled so many source tracks into a cohesive whole. You must have cheated, it sounds so effortless. I like your sound choices, especially the bass. And how the bass plays higher notes and the beat picks up and the bass stays up there and it sounds like a giant floating structure of some sort.. pretty apt if you think about it.. Great job, thanks for sharing. =)

--Eino

Nicely done! During my first listen I wasn't sure how I liked it, but I was in a hurry and didn't get to take it all in. This particular source tune has been remixed quite a bit, but I think this brings something new to the table.

I particularly enjoyed the "Lavos" sound at 2:45 very nice touch! Also, my favorite section is probably the one from 4:16 - 5:34 :) .

• 3 weeks later...

this is sick....great productions, arrangement, god everything...

the organ at beginning was tight, and every transition into the next music was good. the part at 4:16 and so on was killer man, def loving the sync.

i don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said, fantastic job. 9.5 out of 10

• 4 weeks later...

Wow the rock operah quality isn't done so much anymore, but this feels sooo natural. People are saying the transitions are too choppy, but I get the feeling some of them were done that way on purpose, like the transition at 4:16. I really like that one. .

• 1 month later...

This is probably the best written CT remix I've heard in a long while. It is simply amazing.

I give this an 11/10.

And may I be so bold as to say that this kind of sounds like a Mega Man X style song? Can't you picture this song playing in the background of Sigma's fortress?

• 3 months later...

This thing just BUILDS like almost nothing else on OCR. Like 'Dueling Consoles' or 'Burly Brawl' from Matrix Reloaded, it never loses sight of where it's headed.

Particularly like 'Burly Brawl', the unashamedly electronic instruments with potentially unlimited pitch, control and tempo are nevertheless matched by the human drive of the real (or at least realistic) drum kit.

When things finally come to a head and (again like 'Brawl') the drums drop out completely for the big resolution, we don't get it. The track fades to almost nothing for the key note, then builds from scratch to about the level of the beginning. This is in fact freaking awesome. There's no victory for the protagonist, merely a relieved pause before looking down from the summit to see the monster advancing again.

I dunno, maybe I'm too wrapped up in the dramas of the grand old boss fights to find the understated punchline disappointing. As it is, it's a brilliant 'carry moment'. I'm very happy with this piece, very happy indeed.

Edit: I've never, ever heard a decent synth sax, and unfortunately the one used here isn't the first. I just have to take it in as one of the deliberately electronic instruments, or it's distracting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the way the lead synths mesh with the organ, it really sets up for the epic arrangement that's to come. None of the instruments feel out of place; in fact, it's so cohesive that sometimes when I listen to this in my head I can only imagine it with 2 or 3 different instruments.

Of course, the main draw here is the arrangement, I think, and it completely delivers on that aspect. This is how you do a medley! I would have barely been able to tell it wasn't one long song if I wasn't familiar with the original soundtrack.

One of the most seamless medleys I've heard on the site, and the production and instrument choice is great to boot. Highly recommended! :-D

• 2 months later...

Great use of themes to weave a cohesive story, and the seamless transitions really help sell the track. I thought the drums were excellent, with some vibrant patterns and fills, and the collection of instruments was varied but all matched up well. Some of the samples were a little strange, but they were all well humanized, and had good performances.

Good stuff from Doug. Lavos scream was a nice touch. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great opening with the flute and organ. I've never heard those two instruments really duet before, and it was pretty darn cool. I loved the higher octaved/arpeggiating bass. It's going everywhere. The guitar sample was a bit weak and sounded very exposed, but it wasn't terrible by any means. We're hearing very similar drums tones as we've heard in Doug's past mixes: very acoustic and very peppy, but still soft at the same time. It's an interesting juxtaposition. THis track has a crap ton of dynamic shifts in it. One minute, we're rockin out, then next we're mellow, next we're being gripped by the cinematic organ, and then back to rockin' again. Rinse and repeat. I like it as it gives the track a lot of variety. It's very apparent that Doug's "arrangements" are best expressed in his drumming and percussion work, which considering his profession, much less his remixing name, seems appropriate :). Good job mate.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01805 - Chrono Trigger "But the Future Refused to Change"