OCR01063 - *YES* Super Mario Bros. 3 'Lose-Your-Way Maze'

djpretzel

Pretty cool... - djp

Two links to my submission:

Details:

The ID3v2 tags are all filled out. It's a remix of the World 7 theme from Super Mario Bros. 3. It's a short one (only about 2 minutes), but justifyably short! I had only 2 bars of original material to work with. I hope you're okay with the amount of "interpretation" I did.

Thanks in advance for considering my submission. Your site rocks my face!

Second link works now.

Funk bass is pretty dry, needs some reverb/chorus... ah, good sax! Cute pipe sfx. This definitely picked up; improv is what I like to hear. Organ slide and snaps are wonderfully used, and the piano rounds it all up. Seems to be a fair amount of dissonance with the piano, especially when finishing off, giving the piece a dangerous, smoky edge. A lot of these sounds need some reverb lovin'.

Standing short at barely two minutes, but very well-played within the time constraint. YES

mario... a game about shrooms, for the love of god.

First Impressions:

Pluck da shiznit. I like the intro and the warp woop woop woop effect. Very funky, and here, funky is used to mean "good".

and it's DIFFERENT. I like that. It's half-jazz and half-70's funk. He didn't try to techno the hell out of it. He dared something different, and I think it works.

Lasting Impression:

Yeah, it's short. But I'd rather a good idea be short than a mediocre idea be dragged about seven times around the walls of Troy. This was just the right mix of ingenuity and craftsmanship to win me over.

YES

FUNKY COPS is teh greetest show evar

first of all, your ending sucks.

what you have here is alright, but it's anything but complete. here we have a melody, two mediocre piano solos, and another melody. first of all, if the song is funk, you might want to consider using a different piano sound. a delayed grand does not fit. try maybe a rhodes elp or a hammond organ.

jazz/funk is constructed thusly:

-a melody/head.

-repeat chord progression about a million times.

this structure does not work automatically. it isnt enough to play a head, play a piano solo, play a head, play a piano solo, and play another head. it is boring, and it goes nowhere.

here are some elements necessary to make jazz/funk work:

-solos on different instruments expressing different...feels, if you will.

-an engaging rythm section that plays off the soloist, plays quietly and sparsely when the solo is as such, and loud and busy when the soloist is loud and busy.

-same as above but in one word, Dynamics.

this mix lacks. on the surface it sounds like funk/jazz. it has the great bassline and groove, but it really has no soul, no personality. this needs lots of work.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

i agree with all of the criticisms mentioned (especially vigilante's), this mix could use improvement. i am tempted to send it back for a resubmit, however i'm going to let it pass.

the reason being: i've had this song for a while and although there's not much to it, there is some replay value. i've listened to it several times in succession without any major gripes. the mix is just enough to be passable.

but dj orange better try harder next time.

yes

Well, do be careful not to judge jazz/funk harsher than techno, orchestral, etc. if it happens to be a genre nearer and dearer to you. At any rate, I agree with analoq in that the criticisms are accurate but not to the degree that the mix is ineffective at musically communicating an idea in an enjoyable way that works as a ReMix.