OCR01806 - Donkey Kong Country "Permutation"

djpretzel

Starla's vocal talents have improved a huge amount from her first submission, which I guess is expected. There would be something very wrong if she got worse. The vocals have definite grace to them, and they bring a tranquility to what I see as the darkest track from Donkey Kong Country.

At the very beginning, I thought this mix channeled Animal Crossing, which is so far removed from what the source is expected to sound like. I like this. To be honest, any DKC remix that isn't Aquatic Ambience impresses me right off the bat, because I think the soundtrack has a wealth of material that isn't fully utilised.

Really solid production all round. I get the pangs of nostalgia from certain parts of this mix, which indicates for me that the remixers have done something very right. And I'm pretty sure most would agree that they have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't hear the source here. At all. Of course, I'm not trying to anyway, so it's all good ;)

Said statement is actually a good thing; it shows just how creative and original this piece is. It's suprisingly long too. I'll admit that this might be just a little drawn out, but it doesn't hurt the mix whatsoever. I like the weird...crunch sound that comes in from time to time, I'm not sure how to describe it...it first comes in at 0:20, I thought that in particular just gave things a little flair; where did you get this sound if I may ask? I enjoyed the vocals very much, and the lyrics were well-written too (a pop song with good lyrics? madness!). Loved the electronic guitar solo at 3:05 too.

To conclude, a solid addition to OCR, well worth checking out, and I'm not really into this sort of music to begin with. Recommended! :D

I like the weird...crunch sound that comes in from time to time, I'm not sure how to describe it...it first comes in at 0:20, I thought that in particular just gave things a little flair; where did you get this sound if I may ask?

That instrument is called a güiro. If I recall correctly, the sample is from Smokers Relight Deux.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You know what, i remember i didn't liked this song the first times

I'm writting with the song playing behind right now and whoooo i like it so much, it's become my anthem

When i do jogging at night, i put it, running along the streets, the beat helps me going, the voice and musics calm me down, and at 3:00..alone on the city ..donkey with me..i feel so good

Thank you so much

Should i add that the beginning is magic, like poetic ?

• 5 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that this is absolutely one of the best renditions of Donkey Kong's Fear Factory theme, I have been a long time fan of the Donkey Kong soundtracks for a long time...and you delivered a beautiful song. Injury's vocals are superb, and the background music is really good, one note though, the guitar was a little too rough, I would have went with something a little softer...keep 'em comin' Nicole...I need more music from you before I go deaf listening to i.transmit.this back to 1946

• 2 weeks later...

This mix is great. I was so immersed into Donkey Kong Country as a kid, and I think one of the things that did it was the ambient soundtrack. Fear Factory was such a cool song, not to mention levels. But this mix really does add something else to the song.

The song does kind of sound sad but these lyrics really change the way I see the stage. It helps that the vocals are up to par as well.

A very good mix of a very cool song.

• 2 months later...

At first the pacing/timing of the vocals threw me off, but I've REALLY come to like this track a lot. Nicole's backing instrumentation is really mellow and the use of the electric piano especially evokes a very solemn mood that's ultimately reflected in the lyrics. I'll agree that the guitar solo sounded a bit out of place, but only because of the harsh tone compared to the silky smooth texture of the rest of the mix.

This one's got me really excited for your collab, "A New Place" off of Serious Monkey Business. You've both set the bar high, but for everybody's sake I hope your next mix is even better!

• 3 months later...

Love the many change ups, synth design, sohpisticated arrangement, vocals. I can feel a lot of different influences at work here. I really appreciate the attention to detail too, lots of variety in the sounds and arrangement. Building a remix around vocals is pretty hard, I think. But you two pulled off something stellar. Instant favorite :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a pretty awesome take on the Fear Factory source! I feel like Nicole & starla did a better job on the Hot Head Bop source, but I could be biased :) . Anyhow, this is a pretty creative twist on the original, as the original was more dark & gritty, so you'd think industrial or metal when you think of it. I've said it before, but Nicole shows that she is excellent at building songs around vocals, and this song is no exception! Great job to the duo here!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01806 - Donkey Kong Country "Permutation"