OCR01806 - Donkey Kong Country "Permutation"

djpretzel

So I think it stands to reason that this is, in fact, one of the best releases of late. Between Nicole's fantastic beats, glitchy n' all, and injury's silky smooth vocals, I must say, I really, really love this track. This remix is put together very, very well. You want high quality remixing? You just got it.

Well done ladies, well done indeed.

I totally didn't expect to see this posted today. Thank you all so much for the comments and djp for the great write-up! For those of you who would like this song in higher quality, I have a 320 kbps render available here.

This reminds me somewhat the Mirror's Edge's theme...

That is awesome to hear since I've just started playing the game and absolutely love it!

Since I have been hearing this song for a couple months now since it was on my sites compilation, I have to say it is definitely an amazing track, and still in my regular rotation of songs several months later. There's honestly no part of this song I don't like, and glad to see it on OCR so a ton more people can know how awesome the song is!

Great job ladies, and congratulations Nicole on your first mix! The lyrics are wonderfully written, and Starla's vocals are very smooth and clean. Love Nicole's style; industrial and electronica combined very well together. The only part on not really crazy about is the drop of almost everything at 3:44. I feel like it loses a little too much momentum, and it takes a little while to gain it back. When it does, however, it's still awesome.

This makes me want to get the CT mix done now!

The vocals are smooth yet powerful, and the tone is at once soothing and unsettling.

This.

More: the intro is fantastic. The rhodes and the atmospherics are fantastic sounding from the start, I was really hoping the track would deliver. Wasn't disappointed. Already the intro evolves and gets more layers every few bars. I need to study this myself, the whole thing is consistent, but I couldn't guess what the subtle changes would be before they happened.

I really like the overall production, very warm and full. The beats are great, I like this style.

Gripes: The guitar solo isn't up to the rest of the song. It's sadly quite unsmooth. The sound is very harsh, which is ok in itself, it could blend in better still. I'd prefer a warmer "overdriven amp"-style sound rather than "distortion pedal" though the harshness does bring contrast. Overall it really could be a better take. The simplicity is good.

That's the main gripe. I'd have hoped for some subtle use of voice during the intro. The vocal, while excellent, isn't 100% "commercial perfect"

[*], but overall I agree with Lucentas above. Fantastic harmonies!

Instant favourite. Thank you.

--Eino

[*] Edit: I should clarify; I'm referring to a few spots in the take itself - the voice and singing is certainly worthy of anything!

Smooth, awesome, beautiful...

Dunno why it surprises me that the fear Factory theme could be twisted into something this pretty when ocremixers have been twisting sources all the time. About time we get some front-page material by Nicole. And Injury. I was expecting something more awkward when I looked at the lyrics, but it works great in the actual song. Awesome collab, ladies. Awesome.

Overall awesome, but there's a few things that bother me. The tone of the guitar in the solo, some timing/performance issues with how it, the first notes of the singing, some timing issue with the reverse stuff at 2:42... But even with those crits, the remix is, pardon the pun, more than satisfactory.

BFT! (bout friggin' time)

I've listened to this one for probably at least a couple hours or more collectively by now.

Nicole is a good friend and a really talented (and ever growing) artist, and this is a great example of her abilities. And Starla is my favorite pokemon <3. Really fantastic work from some fantastic ladies!

(Technically, I can say I was like .001% involved in this remix as Nicole's melodyne coach/critic :D woohoo!)

:nicework: Starla has improved a lot voicewise since I first heard her. As has happened a lot for me lately though, I have difficulty hearing the source in here for most of the song. Maybe it's more because of the bassline than anything else.

The guitar solo wasn't pretty, I would have preferred a softer, deeper sound. Otherwise, this sounds great. And I'm glad to see more vocal mixes, too.

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I think this is one of the best remixes on the site.

Usually when I download an OCR, I listen to it 4-5 times before I make a decision to put it on my playlist. A few are on after the first listen. This one was on after the first minute or two.

Absolutely stellar, I love how the song doesn't go the easy route and sound exactly like the original song, but instead becomes it's own song altogether. Nostalgic, quiet and beautiful lyrics and a beat and tempo that go perfectly with the original song.

I don't know much about remixing in general, or the technical stuff so I can't comment on that, but I have listened to almost every song on the site and this is one of my favorites.

Congrats Nicole, I hope to see more of your work on the site soon.

This is great!

Starla's really improved dramatically from her last post (I guess 7 years does that to ya!)... I couldn't remember the source, at first, either... but when I DID hear it I realized that she transformed the harmonic material completely and did the melodic portions above! I am... very impressed.

Everyone, download this please :))

Well Nicole has been a friend for a quite a long time now. I've heard her music advance, evolve and progress over the years, and I always knew she would get to the point where she would totally kick my ass. And here we are.

I'm not into vocal videogame remixes at all. There were only a couple that I could listen to, but this one is absolutely gorgeous and one of those songs you can't stop listening to until you've looped them over and over and then some. I can confidently recommend this song to anyone.

So congrats to both of you, it makes me very happy to listen to this because it's the result of the work and dedication I've seen nikki put in her music through these years :).

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01806 - Donkey Kong Country "Permutation"