OCR01907 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'The End'

Liontamer

Name: tefnek (Jack Kirkpatrick)

This is my remix of the song One-Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII called The End. The "Sephiroth" choir I used was originally created by bLiNd for the mega-collaboration, Black Wing Metamorphosis. Thank you bLiNd for letting me use it!

Thanks,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 416 "One-Winged Angel"

1:54-1:55, 2:00-2:01, 2:05-2:06, 2:10-2:11, 2:16-2:17, 2:23, 2:28-2:29, 2:35, 3:00-3:22, 3:24-3:46

That's not an actual breakdown, but I'm not picking up much from here.

At :45-:50, all I recognize from the source is just the first 4 notes, then some original melodic stuff with a similar style that initially doesn't sound arranged from the actual source. Certainly has a similar style at the least. Aside from the sampled choir, on an A-to-B level, can someone lay out more of the connections here?

I know OWA pretty well by now:

0:00 to 0:45 taken from source 0:54 to 1:10

0:45 to 1:08 taken from source 1:10 to 1:18

1:32 to 1:52 taken from the same

2:40 to 3:03 taken from the same again

3:03 to 3:45 taken from the source intro

3:45 to 4:09 taken from 1:10 to 1:18

It doesn't use a large percentage of the source material, but it does use the main ones a lot, and they're personalized very well. Arrangement is fine lt :P.

Production is uh... well its tefnek. If my face wasn't melted by his drums then it wasn't him.

YES

I'm basically on the fence because it's incredibly loud and compressed. It's stylistic but the drums are really TOO loud, the style could've been pulled off without damaging ears. If I'm the only one who thinks this is an issue worth going conditional on I guess I'll let it slide... but damnit, is this really ok? Sets kind of a bad example with Fishy saying "it's tefnek" when we could've bashed pretty much any generic techno remix for sounding like this. No offense to Jack ofc, I love your music so much it hurts sometime.

Arrangement. Tricky. Palpable pointed out that 0:45-1:08 isn't that connected to 1:10-1:18 of the source after all. The connection I find is the guitar mimicking (somewhat in the beginning) the vocals and the "SEPHIROTH" and after talking this through with Palp we're both pretty sure that can only be counted as roughly half of the chorus.. Well, after counting that it's still above the bar but it's definitely closer. (see Palp's vote below)

So, I don't really want to pass this without the drums being toned down a LITTLE bit but if I'm the only one I'll let it slide. Good track, I want your babies, keep doing music or I'll kill your family. Nice work :nicework:

YES(conditional on being LOUD if I'm not the only one here...)

Sets kind of a bad example with Fishy saying "it's tefnek" when we could've bashed pretty much any generic techno remix for sounding like this.

Sorry, can I just clarify that this was my silly way of saying that I had no real problems with the production. It was a quick vote originally just to help larry with the breakdown. On reflection it came off looking like an automatic bias, my bad.

Sorry, can I just clarify that this was my silly way of saying that I had no real problems with the production. It was a quick vote originally just to help larry with the breakdown. On reflection it came off looking like an automatic bias, my bad.

No problem man. My main point is still that I think this is too loud and overcompressed and I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck, that beat is massive. I don't often cuss, but fuck. This is a crazy good song, fantastic production. I can see why AnSo would hold this to a conditional drop in volume, but I actually felt ok with it. At my comfortable listening volume, it felt on the high end of that. It sounds pretty loud, but I think it's dipped in the right areas so that it doesn't give the listener (me) a headache. Maybe it helps that's there a lot of space in sections of this song. Anyway, we have passed songs of this loudness before, Clamato Fever being a recent one.

Fishy's breakdown pretty much checks out, but I wouldn't say 0:45-1:08 of Jack's song is a straight usage of 1:10-1:18. He's got the guitar close to matching the vocals for one measure, does his own thing for the second measure, another measure matching the vocals, then half a measure of his own thing, then SEPHIROTH. So out of 24 seconds of song, that's about 15 seconds from the source each time, which in total gives me 148/271 seconds = 55%. Good enough for me. I think even if it was under 50%, the parts of the guitar I'm not counting are certainly Angel-esque, playing with the same notes that other parts of the song do. I like that aspect of this song even if we don't count it as straight source.

YES

• 3 months later...

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 416 "One-Winged Angel"

0:00 to 0:45 taken from source 0:54 to 1:10

Ohhhhh. OK, NOW I get the usage on this; thanks a lot, Cain. That 8-note melody at :54-1:10 of the source is also used beyond the intro as the light vox backing pattern from :45-1:06 (would have made that louder) and the backing tone from 1:07-1:29, so there was always something connecting this to the source while the more overt OWA interpretation was going on. As soon as you make out that connection above along with Cain's other comparisons, the source usage is obvious. OWA's such a long track, it was hard to get a bead on it.

Meanwhile, the latter half of the arrangement had a lot of very brief source references and chopped up usages of the source. The guitar work was liberal, but generally connected, moreso than what I felt Palp gave credit for, but it's not really a big deal to me, as there's more than enough source usage combining the foreground and background usage.

I had no problem with the volume. It was loud, but it's meant to hit you in the face. Really glad to sign off on this one. Keep kicking ass, Jack.

YES