OCR01076 - *YES* Tales of Phantasia 'Emotions Lost in Time'

djpretzel

I hope the last submission wasn't taken seriously. It was intended as a joke (and to illustrate a point), although probably in very poor taste.

Anyway, here is a serious submission by GLL. It's from a scene from Tales of Phantasia (Super Famicom, produced by Namco). The hero comes back with his friend on a hunting trip to find his entire hometown slaughtered by an unknown enemy (and yes, there happens to be a thunderstorm outside). It's one of my favorite game tunes of all time. It was started originally in responce to IMC 14, but I did some extra work remastering it after the competition. hope you enjoy!!

perhaps someone should point out to Mr. Lewis that his joke submissions waste our time and contribute to the delay of queue that he complains about.

rain is nice, but the strings sound really weak. all of the patches leave something to be desired. seems like the mix is hurting for some treble.

the arrangement is enjoyable, but not altogether harmonically sophisticated.

the techno section is handled better. it's more typical GLL fare.

Very nice dynamics on the whole, the ending is kind of sudden.

there are some things i dont like about the first half, but its a decent mix overall.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, i'm really digging the intro on this so far. That piano patch is

a bit weak, but being so far in the background it's not so bad. Strings

are a bit questionable in the attack/decay.

Very nice build up to the change over to the 'techno' section. I'm not

real wild about the clap though... but i don't like claps. Also I'm not

totally convinced about the cadence of the detuned synth.. it sounds good

but just feels a little awkward.. nothing wrong with it though.

Fun stuff, this.

YES

I wish one of you had listed the time that the intro ended so I could skip to that. It's not so bad, but it's so subdued and the rain is given the foreground. Ok so it is pretty bad. It's really quite bland and boring. And it goes on for like, ever. I'm wanting to turn this off by 2:00.

And it's still building.

Using more of the same. Ok well, looking back, the transition from crap to greatness was really nice. So I'll have to submit that it was a majority good song. So we'll give it a yes, but MAN is that intro boring. And Vig's right, the chords used are pretty subpar and not at all very harmonically solid...

BUT IT'S OK BECAUSE NO ONE READS THESE ONCE THEY'RE UP ON THE FRONT PAGE! WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

YES!!! OMG! YES!!!! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

wait no, I can do better than that.

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Somehow, I got the opposite opinion of flamboyant Dan. I really liked the intro and it only got annoying once the detuned synths came on and repeated the basic melody. When techno comes into place, everything must become simple.

Theres a lot of original material here, nevertheless. I like the piano improv sections. Cuts up what would otherwise be generic techno.

Like the intro. Good job.

YES