OCR01851 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 'Devotion & Deception' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18441

Hey Larry. Here’s the resub and I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

-Derek-

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 103 "Blue Fields"

Final Fantasy VIII Original Soundtrack - 101 "Liberi Fatali"

Still not feeling the abrupt transition at 3:16; again, a pregnant pause would have worked a lot better than this quick gear change. Also, the second half should have been louder; it literally sounds like the same intensity of the more delicate first half, which is head-scratching. Without messing up the biggest volume moment of "Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec", you need to create a proper dynamic curve. The levels of the second half makes no sense compared to the first.

The main issue last time though were the samples being used poorly in the first half, but that's been fixed the whole way through, and now everything sounds strong. Still put off by the conservative take on the first couple of minutes, but, as I said last time, it's eclipsed by the rest, and the overall package was strong.

Raise the levels post-3:16 before this goes up, but otherwise, this is what y'all should have sent the first time around, and now it's showing off much more of its potential. TEAMWORK!

YES (conditional)

I still lurrv the arrangement. The first half of the track sounds better re: instrument usage now. Some strings are still a bit dry and unnatural (for example the awkward attack of the hig strings at at 2:26->) but overall it's better. Like Larry I think it's strange how the dynamics are so unbalanced between the two parts, I'd like to see a raise post-transition too.

The transition is still a bit strange to me. If it were two movements of a piece a longer pause would've worked better to emphasize that it's an entirely new part. If you want them to be more connected a sustained note from the strings or such would help connect them. It's not a major issue to me though.

Overall it obviously sounds excellent. The arrangement is well-written and production is good. Still there are some small issues. The one I'm going conditional on is the same as Larry, the dynamic curve. A bit louder in the more energetic part and it's good to go! Nice work :nicework:

YES(conditional)

Very nice arrangement. By now, you guys really know your way around weaving new writing into the original and I like the balance struck here, if it's a little on the subtle side. It still felt very personalized.

Production was a little upfront for orchestral, more reminiscent of VGM than a symphony hall. I think I like the sound of your previous remixes more, but this is still good, just a small criticism. I too will have to hold you to pushing up the volume levels after 3:16. I had to turn up my volume in order to get the desired effect from that second section. Should be an easy enough fix. Keep doing what you do!

YES (conditional)

• 1 month later...

Great mix. I didn't get the chance to vote on the first sub but I was basically in agreement with everyone else about the first half being weaker compared to the second (mainly some of the strings sounding choppy and not legato.) This iteration, however, is definitely stronger in that department. I'm glad Derek went back to it. Some of the strings in the first half still aren't quite perfect in that they don't seem to really slur, but this is a minor complaint.

As the other judges have pointed out, the second half could use a bit of a volume boost. Otherwise, the production is solid and the arrangement is very nice. Would love to hear this performed live.

YES (conditional on part 2 volume)