OCR01819 - Tales of Phantasia "Setting Sail"

djpretzel

Starts off beautifully, and progresses nicely through different soundscapes of big and awesome without ceasing to be beautiful. It has some movie soundtrack vibes, it's easy to visualize stuff, I can easily imagine a cityscape in an epic fantasy movie when hearing this. djp's right about this being reminiscent of SMG's score.

Awsome work, Blake... I mean TheDeath. :D

This orchestral debut mix was actually good enough that Larry suspected it might have been ripped off a professional arrange album

Ouch, harsh. Should've asked me for confirmation: I got several WIPs of this, so it was definitely legitimate unless unfinished tracks are the norm for arrange albums these days. Pretty sure Hydropolis has never been covered on any arrange albums either.

"The mix title kind of encroaches on Blake Perdue's Donkey Kong Country 2 'Set Sail', so that's lame, but no big deal clearly...

Unintentional I assure you. I think it was my suggestion on our brainstorm of the title, and I'd forgotten about Blake's remix. Still, it fits!

Anyway, this track is absolutely breathtaking. One of the most climactic, cinematic tracks on SoS. Usa actually introduced me to TheDeath, and I'm glad he did. Happy to see this finally up here!

Yet another track I downloaded from the album before it showed up on the site.

(I ought to make a game out of how many tracks I liked from the album will eventually end up on the site as well.)

Anyway, admittedly, this piece didn't totally bowl me over the first time I listened to it, but when the epic fanfarish stuff came up, my mind immediately turned to thoughts of Vikings and Voyage of the Dawn Treader and high seas adventures and I knew I was hooked.

...Yes, I'm not a very pirate-minded person, I'm sorry.

Wow, what can I say, after 2 and a half years waiting, I finally get to see some feedback about the piece, and I gotta say I feel flattered by the comments :)

About the question liontamer asked on the judge decision thread loooooong ago, "But seriously...and I mean in this with the utmost sincerity and curiosity...who the hell are you, and what brought you here?"

Well, what brought me here, pure luck. A fried that asked me to join a remix project cause she was joining (and never joined in the end) and, like everyone else here I guess, a deep love for both music and games.

And who am I? Just a guy that loves music and has been self teaching himself how the heck to work with MIDI and how the heck to make music through (lots of) trial and error, and of course, listening :)

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, that's the best compliment I can get, getting people to listen to it and like it. And if I get to know about that, even better :) After all, what other reason is there to make music but to communicate? And talking to oneself isn't really all that much fun, since you can't be surprised by something you make up.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it, that's the best compliment I can get, getting people to listen to it and like it. And if I get to know about that, even better :) After all, what other reason is there to make music but to communicate? And talking to oneself isn't really all that much fun, since you can't be surprised by something you make up.

Glad the feedback is appreciated; would love to hear more from you... we're not the speediest site in the world when it comes to posting submissions, but I think I can safely guarantee the wait would be less than two years :nicework:

Glad the feedback is appreciated; would love to hear more from you... we're not the speediest site in the world when it comes to posting submissions, but I think I can safely guarantee the wait would be less than two years :nicework:

Now, in our own defense, this particular wait was NOT the fault of the OCR staff. There must have been a half a dozen times where I said "Guys, screw the 'project hold' rule. That thing is NEVER going to get done, let's just post this awesomeness!"

Man though, it's so good to see this one free to bask in the good light it deserves. For real man, please continue to submit remixes here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And who am I? Just a guy that loves music and has been self teaching himself how the heck to work with MIDI and how the heck to make music through (lots of) trial and error, and of course, listening :)

Thanks for showing that music, like every other art, is doable by absolutely anyone. Everyone is given the gift of creativity. Fabulous work on this.

I loved the whole piece, but for me individually, the first :50 seconds of the song are my favorite. I wouldn't fight you if you decided to do an entirely separate piece like that, only expanded. :D

• 6 months later...

Quality, quality mixing here. Orchestral done with a really fantastical scope. I love it. Sounds pure and ethereal, its quite soothing and yet it has a great sense of large scale and intimidation. There is so much amazing imagery attached to this.

I had no problem with the choral samples, which do well to add to the airiness of the piece and give it that extra affirmation that this is a full-fledged orchestral arrangement aiming for that professional level. For me, it hits the mark. Although I realise I'm pretty easy to impress.

It would be a shame if this was the last we heard from TheDeath. This is an enormously promising debut and one of my favourite orchestral mixes to come out in the last few years.

• 2 years later...

This for me, is really a standard for how orchestral arrangements should sound, everything fits together so gracefully, and the arrangement is great. As someone who doesn't know the original source, it sounds a lot like something John Williams would do, which is about as high praise as I can give. Even if you don't like orchestral music, give this a chance, because its worth it.

Fantastic stuff.

This for me, is really a standard for how orchestral arrangements should sound, everything fits together so gracefully, and the arrangement is great. As someone who doesn't know the original source, it sounds a lot like something John Williams would do, which is about as high praise as I can give. Even if you don't like orchestral music, give this a chance, because its worth it.

Fantastic stuff.

echoing that. John Williams doesn't quite come to mind, but I'm not saying the piece is worse - just sounds different.

It's an excellent piece.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01819 - Tales of Phantasia "Setting Sail"