OCR01979 - *YES* Tales of Symphonia 'Altar Perception'

Liontamer

Contact Information

* Remixer Name: Monobrow

Submission Information

* Game: Tales of Symphonia

* Source Track: Search a Seal (Tethe alla & Sylvarant)

Remix

This is a song for the Summoning of Spirits album from Tales of Symphonia. I worked on this song because, well, out of the 50+ songs worked on in this project, for some reason, even years and years and years and years and years after the SoS' start, no one else claimed these tracks even though you probably hear them more than any track throughout the game (it's the goddamn dungeon music)

Anyway, this remix is pretty straight forward, although I thought the source material IMO was kind of awkward to work with. But, like the originals, it grew on me, as I hope this song does with whoever listens to it.

Oh yeah, and I don't get sole credit, it goes as follows, I think I worked this out...

Monobrow feat: AeroZ, injury, and Protricity:

Sebastian - was a way cool dude like always, and played live cello for me throughout the song.

Starla - was a sweetheart and contributed her lovely voice for a choir part I wrote in the middle of the song, because I really really suck at singing, and she sure don't.

Ari - at the last minute, was full of awesome and reworked over my old drums with his stuff and added some flair to them etc.... At the time I thought I had about two days to finish the song (thanks Kyle ;-o), so thanks to him for whipping up those drums as fast as he did, aside from some technical problems.

Also special thanks to Posibolt for going to the trouble of figuring out that crazy harpsichord (wtf) part for me from the source, because I was too damn lazy, even though I didn't really end up needing it, I still put it in the song though! (you can barely barely hear it because it's covered up by starla's voice and Seb's cello and um, strings, drums, piano, harp... etc. etc. etc. Also thanks to Kureejii Lea for naming this because I had no idea what to call it... I just called it thatsong.mp3 for months. And special thanks to dhsu for... that bass thing... yeah!

I sure did need a lot of help!

Anyway, enjoy.

The end.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tales of Symphonia Original Soundtrack - (405) "Search a seal ~Tethe Alla~" & (203) "Search a seal ~Sylvarant~"

Piano realism could use some work, and while the drum writing was good, the drums sounds themselves weren't the best fit; no synergy. As a result, sections like :41-1:09 & 3:00-3:27 felt too sparse despite everything going on with the drums, but I'd need another J to elaborate on that. They were serviceable though, which is more than I can say for half the rejected subs nowadays.

Otherwise though, a fairly solid arrangement of the two "Search a Seal" variations. Sebastian's cello was a huge highlight. A long time ago, Ari would basically call Starla a talentless MIDI ripper in #ocremix. Small world to see them involved on the same track, but that's ancient dramarama for you. Hands across America!

Re: the drums & piano, the textures could have used some polishing, but this wasn't bad. Looking forward to seeing what else Katie can do as she keeps improving.

YES

Sort of a background-y track, which makes sense given the originals don't have that strong a melody. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, and thought the mix of sounds was very cool. Sebastian's cello is excellent. Ari's drums are written well, but like Larry said, don't fit seamlessly into the track. I think in the parts Larry mentioned, the drums overpower the other instruments which makes the track seem a little sparse. Pretty small complaint, thought the overall mixing was good.

Where the heck was starla on this? I seriously never heard her! :oops: Well, however you used her voice, good work - it's a well put-together track that nails the sullen mood of the original soundtrack and expands on it.

YES

• 1 month later...

The sources give me nightmares. Damn dungeon music! Also, HI KATIE!

Ok, putting sillyness aside, this is quite solid. The arrangement is expansive without going overboard and the instrument combination is great. Piano was a bit fake-sounding but since it was such a small piece of the whole I didn't see an issue! Sebastian's definitely a highlight. Production was ace imo. Didn't have an issue with the drums really. As soon as you accept them as drums in an electronic genre, it's suddenly the perfect fit!

Well, can't find anything else to complain about so I'll end it here. This was quite the pile of awesome! Keep making music Katie!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite tracks from the SoS project, i'm happy to see it hit the panel.

Drums I thought were great, much more interesting than the somewhat boring snare rolls or super basic beat from the originals; though I wish that early on an element rose up to their intensity. For the first section they seem overly dominant. Once The cello comes in, however,it completely clicks; fantastic performance and recording, and everything supports it. The piano is a bit rigid, but it plays such a small part in the overall scheme of things that I don't see it being an issue.

I can hear Starla if I listen really close, but i think she could have been brought up a bit more. At least it's in a breakdown section where she first appears. :-)

Arrangement is a great blend of the 2 sources; it's cool how you've picked the best of each official arrangement and further expanded on it. It has some very nice moments and it's very ear catching. Nice work everyone, a group effort that really is more than the sum of it's parts. :-)

yes