OCR01106 - *YES* Darius 'Silver Hawk Legacy'

djpretzel

Greetings.

I'm submitting this remix I did of the song that plays during "Zone A" of the arcade game Darius.

Called "Silverhawks Legacy", this remix is done in a late 80s/early 90s kind of Electronica Pop-like style. This one gave me a rough time in spots, and went through several versions before this version started coming together in a way I was liking. I tried to use the 80s-like sound, but give it a bit more complexity than the general 80s stuff was known to have. And, the key word here is "tried" *lol*. Here's the link...

Also, since I know Darius wasn't exactly a heavily played arcade game, I'm including a lower quality recording of the original song from the arcade machine. Here's the link...

Here's the info (it's also in the ID3v2 tags)...

Remix by: The Coop

Title: Silverhawk Legacy

Copyright: Taito

Year: 1986

System: Arcade

Original Composers: Yasuhiko Tanaka, Hisayoshi Ogura, Naoto Yagishita, Tsukasa Nakamura, Eikichi Takahashi, Masahiko Takaki

Game remixed: Darius

E-mail: arforfaborb@cs.com

Anyway, I really like the way this turned out and I hope you do as well. Thanks for your time.

-- The Coop

• 2 weeks later...

I think Malcos meant yes?

Coop uses the dreamstation, if I remember. I've always dug his classic oriented sounds myself. The tempo slow down in the beginning is sort of sloppy. I think Coop's biggest hinderance right now is in the mixing department. More definition of the instruments would have done this mix wonders. I suggest eqing, and panning separation of instruments in the future.

At least this isn't one of his quiet mixes.

Small flaws aside, this is one really enjoyable and well done arrangement. Digging the whole mood of this. Good drumwork as well. Love the classic instruments. Cooptastic.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the record, I came VERY close to vetoing this. We've indicated before that whilst The Coop's arrangements are usually sound, audio quality/samples used are extremely borderline for OCR and that improvement is really needed. I am reticent to involve myself to the degree of overriding a panel decision and using the veto, but NEXT time if we have the same sorts of issues and the mix is passed regardless, that's what I'll do. Without going into further detail, there has to be a balance between arrangement quality and sound quality, and things have remained lopsided a little too long, while OCR standards have risen.