Metroid Prime - Glaciers Never Sleep

Robotaki

So I was finishing up that oldie for Manoria Cathedral and had a nice ambient pattern sitting somewhere on Pattern 69 *heh* for a long time. I decided to play with it using very similar samples to the original project file so here's what came up. I also loooove sine waves. It's quite similar in sound, but I think it has a different feel. drums cut in a little suddenly for me, and it's a repetitive on the harmonic side of things right now - any ideas for progressions? surprises? For some reason I really want to put barely audible delayed whispering into this @.@ Anyway thinking out loud now, hopefully you dig! I'll try to include the melody more in future updates :P

LINK:

Glaciers Never Sleep (Phendrana Drifts ReMix)

There's definitely some stuff to fix here:

0:17-0:23 some of the notes came off kinda awkward. Some of the additional filtered stuff around 0:24 is a little harsh and could stand toning down or re-eqing.

By 0:40 there is a lot of harsh filterish stuff coming from the background ethereal stuff.

0:49 - that build up is pretty loud and by 1:00 its definitely too loud. The sounds should retain their strength through the arrangement and not the volume.

I'd also suggest making the glitches more background, some of it cuts through the good parts of the arrangement.

Be that as it may, this has a LOT of potential and I've personally been trying to get that fluid sound you opened with for a while now. What did you use?

Anyway, just re-eq this so it all comes together better (its spread out a little too cavernishly) and color the sound so its brighter and you definitely have a contender.

btw, what song are you remixing? At least 50% of the track needs be recognizable in order to count as a remix.

source

I think the first minute of the mix is basically 'original arrangement based on the source', and everything after that was going to turn into the more 'remixed source' portion. Being incomplete, you don't get too hear too much of it

Anyway, I'm no music guy, but everything that Meteo Xavier said seems valid. I really do love this remix so far (but then again I'm gay for any Metroid Prime mix), so I hope this turns out good

Solid pieces of advice meteo, thanks! I'll get on to them right away.

oh just to clarify, the glitches you mentioned - you're talking about the chordal glitches introduced at 0:48, and not the percussive ones yeah?

With regard to the 'fluidity' of the samples, I've mostly just been using the oscillator in FL studio with a load of FX, cutting off higher frequencies, and altering envelopes.

This track is going to be a remix of phendrana drifts - going to be because like you said, there isn't that much recognizable from the source. I've only used that soprano piano motif from the original so far.

haha sorry that my EQing is a little off. I'm still getting used to mastering massive walls of sound for ambient tunes :)

Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (Link Updated):

I didn't want to double post since this is a pretty new post so I'll just do an EDIT on this. :P

I took everything into consideration and changed what I could for the time being. I think most of the problems have been fixed. I really need to get on to studying for my exams but I'll frequently check back here and get a list of things to change. Thanks!

I very thoroughly enjoyed this mix, but it's too short. Granted, I had it on loop and didn't realize it ended 4 times over, but you know what I mean.

It feels like it needs more meat to it, I'm half expecting it to get heavier, and break into a near industrial backing with a heavy lead. That's just my own musical tendencies coming out though.

I wish I could offer more constructive criticism, but this kind of music is mostly mixing precision, and I am very lacking in that dept. I'm looking forward to the finished product though.

Dude, you *have* to finish this mix. Your Manoria Cathedral mix was great, but I think that if you could extend this one and expand on the ideas you've created so far, I think you could definitely surpass that landmark. I love the drum/percussion work and the ambience level of the song is just right - nothing feels drowned out by reverb. Some of the drums remind me of the sample used in the Phazon Mines theme (sorry for the vagueness, I'm not familiar with the actual name :P) which would fit incredibly well with this type of mix. I'd love to see more of that tpe of drum come up as the song progresses.

This is officially on my watch list, great job!

Oh, and the title that you're using is perfect, you should definitely keep that title when you finalize the mix (which should be ASAP! ;)

I've listened to the last update only, so I guess you've already adressed all that Meteo Xav was pointing at.

Ok Robo, let's be honest for one moment, I have a small request for you:

STOP TEASING US WITH MAGNIFICENT BUT HALF-DONE MIXES, AND PLEASE FINISH AND SUBMIT YOUR WORK ASAP!

You should have realized by now, that each recent piece you did, was of an above-average caliber?

I think you're handling fairly rich soundscape quite well, and this highly atmospheric song isn't an exception either.

It's still a bit harsh on the low frequencies, and it could benefit from a less proheminent rythmic presence.

But what bugs me the most is on a more personal level:

This same percussion you used in your Okami Kokari mix, subtely enters at the end, almost undetected.

And it inevitably reminds me of this other unfinished masterpiece.

So I'm hoping (as many others do, I'm sure) that you'll at least finish this one.

Keep it up man, you got talent. ;-)

You know how they say a song can transport you somewhere? I tell you, I listened to this and I was in Phendrana! And, man, is it cold!

Anyway... this is excellent. I may not love it as much as Tables, but I really like the ambience you've (re)created. The dynamics of the mix are beautiful and very natural (though I was afraid it was about to end around 0:55). I must commend you on the use of percussion throughout, particularly the hand drums starting at 1:17.

I'm having trouble coming up with anything to criticize... Great work so far! And sweet title, by the way.

Ok, I've just joined this forum so spare me if I get this whole posting issue wrong.

Anyway... I joined JUST to post here on this thread and BEG for you to finish this!

It's an amazing piece and it really reflects the feeling I got when I played Metriod Prime... If you don't finish this I'll be on the edge of my seat until it happens... I may need a new seat if you choose the wrong answer.

Just took the time to finally listen to this WIP. It's a fantastic reimagining of the source, totally altering the structure yet somehow maintaining the awesome ambiance of the original. I, too, would LOVE to hear you continue with it. If it was a little longer I'd take it as-is. Fantastic work.

- any ideas for progressions? surprises?

LINK:

Glaciers Never Sleep (Phendrana Drifts ReMix)

"Trip to the surreal of it all,"

This is a beauty. In fact I have no critique just ideas. Use your DAW and make a mid range choir hit (on "Ah"), with a decent tale. Then bounce the hit(s) out of the DAW as a solid wave file. Reverse the file in some wave form editor. Now you mix the sound in right before something hits or changes (like when the drums come in) and you have a decent transition FX to bring us into it. Try this technique on your leads, pulses, and pianos.

With the ambiance the way it is on the track you can do well by giving us the echo before the voice.

Hoping for a finished sample.

Riggs

AmR ][

• 3 weeks later...

It's a great start, but you're beginning to amass too many great starts and not enough great remixes. Maybe you should lock yourself out of all but one file at a time. ;) You have the potential to be one of the best remixers here if you could overcome this one small problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...