OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

YAYEE!

Finally. Finally i can get all OCRemixes on my iPod. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll be seeding until i have to sleep.

yeah, its too bad that your iPod battery will be irreparably drained after only 18 months. but, on the bright side, you can always order a replacement from apple for 250$!

WhiteKnight, you should read the first page of the ipod thread. ;) The $250 replacement isn't the case anymore, though I definitely agree it was pretty shitty of them to not have replacements available earlier.

Back on topic., I'm getting a download rate of 147-odd kilobytes per second on the first set of 500. Wow. But my upload rate is at about 15 kb per sec. That's ADSL for you. :roll:

Some of the songs in the first batch seem to have boofed ID tags. Usually this is evident to me when MP3ext can't place a bitrate icon for it and Explorer says everything is 0. I've fixed this in some mp3s with Mp3 Tag Tools by removing "non-ID3" tags, as it says.

Here's the list of the mp3s that I see the problem in:

Castlevania_2_Bloody_Tears_Inspired_OC_ReMix.mp3

Castlevania_64_Tower_of_Ambient_OC_ReMix.mp3

Final_Fantasy_6_TinaDontFall_OC_ReMix.mp3

Shadow_of_the_Beast_Journey_OC_ReMix.mp3

Shadowman_64_DeadsideDance_OC_ReMix.mp3

Xenogears_Broken_Mirror_Reflection_OC_ReMix.mp3

Just checked with mp3's on the site, and the problem's there too, so it isn't a problem on my end due to BT (though corruption couldn't happen, it verified everything.)

And this might be old news and I'm just now noticing :/.

whiteknight: I have a feeling your questions have already been answered, but I'll give my two cents anyway. :-)

About a command line version of bit torrent:

As ravve mentioned, just use the python source version of the official bit torrent client. That is what I'm using on supertux to help mirror these things. For reference, I'm using something similar to:

./btdownloadheadless.py --url http://bt.ocremix.org/files/OCR00001_to_OCR00500.torrent --saveas ./songs --max_upload_rate 100 > /dev/null 2>&1 &

This will download all the remixes into a ./songs directory while specifying that I only want to serve 100k a second for the torrent.

In my case, it happens that the ./songs directory is the same one that we use for the web mirror of the remixes. This was a convenient method to get all of my mirrored songs in sync with djp's collection. It turned out that about 20 of the songs that I have didn't match his collection exactly... but they do now. :-)

About the ports:

The bit torrent client will try to listen on port 6881, then 6882, then 6883, etc as you start downloading the contents of .torrents. I'd port forward 6881 the other few you might use to your system running the bit torrent client. You only need to open as many ports as you plan run bit torrent clients for.

Aubrey

One thing that I'd like to mention is that unless you have tons of bandwidth to spare, there is no good reason to try to seed both .torrent files at once off say.. your cable modem connection. This will likely just slow both your computer and internet connection down enough to where you'll quit seeding in no time.

I think a more successful approach for cable/dsl users would be to choose only one of the torrents to seed and then seed it with Shadow's experimental client. With that client, you can then throttle the upload rate to something reasonable enough to where you can still use your internet connection for other things if you wanted.

For example, if youre cable connection allows you to upload stuff at around 35k a second, you should throttle the upload rate of the one torrent you are seeding to be 20-30k a second max.

Probably a good way of choosing which .torrent to seed would be to look at the tracker page ( http://bt.ocremix.org/ ) and just choose the .torrent that has the least seeds.

Oh, one other thing I've done with my client is to lower its priority via the task manager from 'normal' to 'low'. This seems to make my desktop seem more responsive to where I don't even notice that I'm seeding .torrents.

Aubrey

AAAAAAAAAAAAH! The songs are all messed up, they end to early and what's missing on one song is in the beginning of the next!

Is this just for me?

Is this only while downloading?

Is this the end of the world?

HELP!

Nope. I had that same problem, and I was a little nervous myself, but it all got sorted out in the end.

I was actually REALLY nervous, considering it was doing that to some files that I had archived on my hard drive... But just have faith. They all work great now. Better than ever.

Good, then I can sleep tonight.

...Wait, I just woke up. :?

One thing that I'd like to mention is that unless you have tons of bandwidth to spare, there is no good reason to try to seed both .torrent files at once off say.. your cable modem connection. This will likely just slow both your computer and internet connection down enough to where you'll quit seeding in no time.

I think a more successful approach for cable/dsl users would be to choose only one of the torrents to seed and then seed it with Shadow's experimental client. With that client, you can then throttle the upload rate to something reasonable enough to where you can still use your internet connection for other things if you wanted.

For example, if youre cable connection allows you to upload stuff at around 35k a second, you should throttle the upload rate of the one torrent you are seeding to be 20-30k a second max.

Probably a good way of choosing which .torrent to seed would be to look at the tracker page ( http://bt.ocremix.org/ ) and just choose the .torrent that has the least seeds.

Oh, one other thing I've done with my client is to lower its priority via the task manager from 'normal' to 'low'. This seems to make my desktop seem more responsive to where I don't even notice that I'm seeding .torrents.

Aubrey

Actually thats a good idea, im gonna change the process on the one im currently seeding to low.

Thanks Aubrey.

Protricity>>the fact is i just downloaded all of them with bit torrents 8) !! 'cause the old files i use to remove ocremix at the end of the files to put the remixers name so i start the whole thing to the beginning but just the fact of moving them change them... i don't understand that. :x

i'am currently checking the folders to fund "double" mixes ( those who have been downloaded twice to understand...

[edit001] start a seed session tonight. it hapen again only 97% downloaded... maybe wmp9 (the only software i use for listening music corrupt some files... )

[edit002] a quick check of the ocr folder and nothing look odd. so something alter the tags. maybe wmp9? returning under winamp rules...

[edit003] i switch all the file to read only in the properties maybe it can work. i'll retry seeding tonight.

[edit004] i keep wmp9 playing for 2/ 3 hours and i start a seeding just a few minutes ago. the seed is going smoothly. PROBLEM FIX !!

My damn drive like suffered heat death or something, and I have to mail it back to WD for my replacement. thank god for the warranty!!

well, all 1000+ of my OCRemixes were on that drive, so now i am going to have to download them all again to my primary HD. this of course will slow down my system speed far too much for any good seeding from me, so my seed is out of commission for at least a month.

wehn i get back though, i'm gonna seed these things with a vengence, possibly from multiple computers if i can get my hands on them...

dont worry, i got you guys covered.

Yes, well, we seem to have lost a number of seeders... I imagine they will come back once djpretzel does the more public announcement.

In the mean time, I'd imagine the major benefit to downloading via bit torrent, is that you are guarenteed that whenever it is done, you will have all the songs. And bit torrent seems to be really good at recovering from net congestion/breaks and the like.

Aubrey

i guess i'll do it once i get my computer built and maybe if there's a reward in it :wink:

The reward is all of the mixes you have currently housed in your computer. The reward is being able to come to this site because it is still running because YOU helped take some of the bandwidth load.

Children geez..

Download Rate: 500kb/s

Upload Rate: 6kb/s

I know the upload is a little slow, even though i have the throttle all the way up...but anyways...will have the first torrent done in half an hour and will be seeding for the next month...i'll be workin on the rest as soon as i get my new hard drive...i have about 500 megs left out of 100 gigs...

::Edit:: I have the first 1000 songs now...and am seeding for all of them...the speed is now around 15kb/s...which is nice. These should be seeding for the next month pretty much constantly.